Jim Rutherford Needs to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Who are you going to replace this x3 cup winner with?

Every eventual Cup winning GM has to start somewhere. Just because I can't give you some names doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. There are people who have the job of finding this replacement. My job is sports production, not searching the depths of the AHL/ECHL/Q/Whatever for the next Penguins GM.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Every eventual Cup winning GM has to start somewhere. Just because I can't give you some names doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. There are people who have the job of finding this replacement. My job is sports production, not searching the depths of the AHL/ECHL/Q/Whatever for the next Penguins GM.

Like most companies, Pens would look for a hot young GM who also has 20 years of GM experience
(good or bad, doesn't matter),and a Masters in GMology .

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Shero had 1 Cup and 1 Finals appearance to his resume. Who did we replace HIM with?

The GM before him was a Hall of Famer who had two Cups to his name and was only replaced by a guy who took them to another win and a second appearance. It's why I don't understand this "Who will you replace him with?" argument. There's always someone. People much more intelligence than the HFBoards hive mind are paid to find these people.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
He has no plan whatsoever indeed. Watch him trading JJ and Gud for a couple of bad contracts and see if the shit sticks. Basically what he’s done for the last two seasons. The guy is incompetent but full of himself.

Reactions: gdsmack267

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sprong for Pettersson was good. Brassard is hard to blame him for. I think he got decent value for Kessel given the circumstance.
The only things I think he completely inexcusably whiffed on the JJ signing and dealing Hagelin for no better reason than because he was mad. Even the Reaves trade is whatever but they didn’t even keep him and prolonged the toughness woody, so yea I guess add the Reaves trade.

if the Pens miss the playoffs I probably don’t bring him back, but it’s a long season and who knows what craziness he’ll do.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Reaves trade was for a guy who was crucial (and cheap) for the Blues Cup run, the exact kind of player the Pens needed. Plus a 1st round pick. Seeing that as anything but a massive bust is a farce.

Sundqvist was basically identical to Sheahan in 2018 and wasn’t good at all until last year. It was a bad deal but not super important except that it butterfly effected into all sorts of dumb toughness moves with Reaves being dealt for Brassard.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
Sundqvist was basically identical to Sheahan in 2018 and wasn’t good at all until last year. It was a bad deal but not super important except that it butterfly effected into all sorts of dumb toughness moves with Reaves being dealt for Brassard.

So you’re saying they could have saved cap space by having Sheahan at more than half the amount and still had a first round pick but it’s not super important okay

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles
Listening to 31 Thoughts it sounds like the Pens are going to move Riikola for forward help. I would prefer they move Schultz, though. He's in a contract year and has undoubtedly outpriced himself for the Penguins. Move him, get a decent return, and then move Merino or Riikola into the lineup.

Dinfire

Mar 9, 2011
Los Angeles

Sundqvist was exactly the same player for the Pens. He was a grinder/possession guy with some slight scoring touch, but that wasn't good enough for the Pens back then. I posted on these boards that moving him was a mistake and was ridiculed for it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am a JR fan and I have always been. I think he is among the very best GMs in this league. That said, I am not against moving on from him IF we go outside the organization and find his replacement. Someone like Trevor Timmins would be my choice. Timmins has been very good at the draft table for Montreal, and he could put the focus back to drafting and developing. I don't know if he wants a GM role, but he is the type of outside-the-box hire I would be in favor of. If we stay in-house, Kevin Stevens intrigues me. However, I do think this organization needs a new direction.

Now, with that ALL said, I am absolutely not in favor of firing Rutherford but keeping Sullivan. If JR goes, Sullivan has to go too. The last thing we need is to empower this coach even more. I firmly believe he is the bigger issue but again, if one goes then they both should go.

If we move on from JR, then we should absolutely focus on the draft.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sundqvist was exactly the same player for the Pens. He was a grinder/possession guy with some slight scoring touch, but that wasn't good enough for the Pens back then. I posted on these boards that moving him was a mistake and was ridiculed for it.

Not even close. He didn’t even develop into a good bottom six player until last year.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

No he wasnt. Come on now. He just this last year became a NHL bottom 6 center. Terrible 3c, decent 4c.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

lets not pretend he was something he wasn’t. He had one fluky 40 foot goal for us.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
So we can’t dress 12 forwards until we waive or trade someone?

upload_2019-10-9_20-59-44.gif

That’s some good gm’ing.

JR has already done stupid shit like this mishandling the cap. He’s an awful gm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->