Confirmed with Link: Jim Nill Being Named GM of Dallas Stars Monday (Conf Post #95)

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
It has been said for years that he was Kenny replacement, that is why Stevie went to Tampa, he was not next in line for the GM spot here.
Kenny all so said he would retire when Nick did, I ask again is it such a bad thing to make Ken the pres and Jim the GM? Kenny would still be able to contribute to the team, working hand and hand with the guy he has trained for 15 yrs.

If all you have is a hard on to keep Kenny there that is fine, I am not saying he has to leave the team just move up is that a bad thing?

I've said many times that I haven't been pleased with the moves Holland has made over the past few years. I'm not a Holland apologist, and anyways, that's not even the point.

The point is people should take responsibility for what they write anonymously on the internet. You swore up a storm and blasted Holland for a decision that was not solely in his hands, and that's not right. You don't know!

I recognize you're angry for whatever reason, but come on! This team made the playoffs, they have for 22 years now. It's been maddening fun to watch. The gloom and doom **** is getting pretty silly.

And also, if something like this happened to your family in real life, you'd see how stupid and upsetting it is to see around here. This is a place for people to discuss hockey and the DRW. Many of us aren't lucky enough to talk about the Red Wings on a daily basis with the people in our lives for whatever reason, so we come here.

I'm just saying, think about what you type, man.

And I'm still waiting for a credible source saying that KH led Jim Nill on for 15 years.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I've said many times that I haven't been pleased with the moves Holland has made over the past few years. I'm not a Holland apologist, and anyways, that's not even the point.

The point is people should take responsibility for what they write anonymously on the internet. You swore up a storm and blasted Holland for a decision that was not solely in his hands, and that's not right.

I recognize you're angry for whatever reason, but come on! This team made the playoffs, they have for 22 years now. It's been maddening fun to watch. The gloom and doom **** is getting pretty silly.

And also, if something like this happened to your family in real life, you'd see how stupid and upsetting it is to see around here. This is a place for people to discuss hockey and the DRW. Many of us aren't lucky enough to talk about the Red Wings on a daily basis with the people in our lives for whatever reason, so we come here.

I'm just saying, think about what you type, man.

And I'm still waiting for a credible source saying that KH led Jim Nill along for 15 years.
I am not angry about anything, I just don't want this team to loose out on a very very good hockey mind! it is and has been the best team in hockey.
I really think this hurts more than any non move or trade that was made or not made. it is A very big part of the wings brain trust that has kept them on top for 20 plus years.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
I am not angry about anything, I just don't want this team to loose out on a very very good hockey mind! it is and has been the best team in hockey.
I really think this hurts more than any non move or trade that was made or not made. it is A very big part of the wings brain trust that has kept them on top for 20 plus years.

Then say that.

Instead of:

Lol way to **** it up again Kenny you **** retire like you said you would!!!

Honestly the only reason we're still arguing is because you haven't given up and said I'm right yet! :sarcasm: :)

RedWingsNow*

The whole Holland will retire when Lids retires "joke/story" wasn't just from "Holland-Haters."

It was also repeated by people who espouses about Lidstrom's grandeur.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Then say that.

Instead of:

Honestly the only reason we're still arguing is because you haven't given up and said I'm right yet! :sarcasm: :)

Your not right at all, in any way shape or form! you will stand by Kenny.
and that is fine it is your opinion, which I do not agree with that is my opinion. neither of which really matter do they?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
People who are worried about who will replace Nill, I think it's pretty easy to just look to our staff and guess that it could very probably be the current Director of Amateur Scouting Joe McDonnell.

Because of:

Ken Holland ----> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM --> GM
Jim Nill ---------> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM
Joe McDonnell --> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> ...

I hope Nill still drafts the next draft for us, and then he can go.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
People who are worried about who will replace Nill, I think it's pretty easy to just look to our staff and guess that it could very probably be the current Director of Amateur Scouting Joe McDonnell.

Because of:

Ken Holland ----> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM --> GM
Jim Nill ---------> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM
Joe McDonnell --> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> ...

I hope Nill still drafts the next draft for us, and then he can go.

Isn't Nill joining the Stars next week?

It sucks to lose Nill, since he played such a pivotal role in our drafting and player development, but let's be honest, Nill isn't the only person in the organization who can do his job. They have a solid team of scouts and people who can make the right decisions. Nill was a good manager but our future isn't going down the drain because one person left for a new challenge. They'll bring in someone competent who can do his job and go on from there.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
The idea is that it was Nill's connection that landed DD.

I have no idea if that's true, but that's what he was referencing, and in that context, it makes sense.

DD wanted to play for the Red Wings. Unless Jim Nill is the ultimate symbol of the Wings to DD, I don't think that claim holds any water.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
As Brendan Savage writes in his article, I think Ryan Martin is also a strong candidate for the job.

A top candidate to assume Nill's role in Detroit is Ryan Martin, the Red Wings assistant G.M. of hockey administration who has been with the club since 2005.

Martin's primary duties with the Red Wings include collective bargaining agreement compliance and administration as well as salary cap management. He has also assisted in player contract negotiations and analysis.

Martin was offered the assistant G.M. job in Tampa Bay in 2010, when the Lightning hired Steve Yzerman to be their general manager. Yzerman, the former Red Wings legend, became a vice president in Detroit after his retirement in 2006.

He also did some prospect reports for the Red Wings

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Filppula to Dallas (e4)

If he takes Cleary, Filppula and Quincey off our hands, I'm ok with that.

Loui Eriksson at the draft, let's do it! :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, it might be easier to trade with Dallas in the future being in a different conference and Holland and Nill having a good understanding. Silver lining, people.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Your not right at all, in any way shape or form! you will stand by Kenny.
and that is fine it is your opinion, which I do not agree with that is my opinion. neither of which really matter do they?

Pal, it was a joke to ease the tension, hense the emoticons. I disagree with you, i dont hate you. Youre a wings fan, thats great!

Debate is important because we get to understand each other.

As stephan hawking once said (on the division bell, that is): all we need to do is keep talking.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
Obviously, as a stars fan, its great yall are upset about losing Nill. One big issue under Newy was the constant issue of what he wanted this team to be. Having Tippett then Crawford then Gully is like scitzo in style. His coaching hire will say alot. He starts today actually according to the paper. He had a short out clause.

I assume the defense will be redone with one of Daley and or Robidas gone. He will likely try to trade up and get a young center or go back and/or get Spooner/the Russian from Boston maybe for their pick back. Benn can go back to wing if we get 2 centers this year. We have like 8 AHL d-prospects. I assume we won't be limited to scouting college and WHL like Newy.

First test coaching hire. Would Ruff and him mesh?

Anything else about him hockey wise?

Last edited:

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Yeah and Dallas will have to sign him for at least 5 years @ $25M If not more for a player that's only averaging 31 points a season for his entire career playing with the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Just dont see him putting up big numbers there.

Agreed. I'd be willing to bet Dallas is a likely destination for him, but I doubt he puts up numbers there.

I stand by my original sentiment that whoever signs Flip to a major deal like that is going to be extremely disappointed.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
A guy like Nill had to be moving on at some point. While I am sad to see him go, I have to ask the uncomfortable question whether our player drafting/development is still working well enough? IMHO, our last 5-6 years have not been yielding as much as the previous decade.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Good luck to Nill, and congratulations to Martin. Our best hope is that Martin grows into being as well respected as Nill was.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
A huge loss to the organization, almost as big of a hit as Bowman leaving. Interesting times ahead for the Wings.

Kiddington

Nov 3, 2008
Reno, NV
take kenneh instead plz kthx :nod:

...but seriously, 'twas bound to happen eventually. Just think, this could've (and probably should've) happened YEARS sooner; how many open GM jobs has he already turned down up to this point?

Let's just be thankful it's not to a division rival.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad