Confirmed with Link: Jim Nill Being Named GM of Dallas Stars Monday (Conf Post #95)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The more I think about it the more I hope they can convince Hakan Andersson to cross the pond and be here full time. He and Martin can be here together, one a cap expert, Martin already holds an assistant GM title and Hakan the hockey guy. Both helping each other with the one aspect and growing towards their own GM positions while learning from Holland.

Maybe Nill knows Holland is going to extend his contract by the way.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Z and Pav should retire as well to let Emmerton be the number one. Let it go. Holland is the GM and when he's ready to retire he will.
Are you saying Kenny has done all this on his own??? :laugh: sorry bud not even close too the truth.

Hey, how bout you retire from your job and let someone move up.

Hey if I had a run as good as his and I was pushing very good and long standing people that I told where going to get my spot you can bet your A@# I would. He could move on in the front office of the team and let the guy have his chance can he not? If it did not work out then let him walk. but you do not cut off your nose to spite your face. this could hurt this team very badly. but I really just don't like change.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
First and foremost congrats to Jim Nill. He'll be awesome in his new role. Stars fans should be very happy as Nill will turn that franchise around very quickly. It will be interesting to see how active he is on the trade and UFA route. All I can say is I'm very happy for him.

I wonder if Stevie Y is likely to come to Detroit any time soon. If say Holland plans to move up from the GM spot when his contract ends, would the Wings want to bring Stevie Y back to fill Nill's role before being moved up to GM? That is my hope now that Nill has moved on. Who knows, maybe the Wings want Nill to have experience running another franchise and they could consider him to come back to Detroit when Holland moves on from the GM role. So that's what I will be interested in seeing as far as the likely candidates to eventually replace Holland.

The timing is curious, my guess is Dallas wanted to have Nill in place prior to the draft. Who will handle the draft for Detroit? Time will tell but I'm honestly not sure if they will bring someone from the outside in to handle the draft or will they roll with their current scouting staff. Also, how many scouts/front office/cap manager people will he take with him?

I hate to lose Nill but he's paid his dues and he's been very successful with Detroit. While I'd prefer to have him replace Holland this season over moving on to a new organization, I cannot wish him anything but the best.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
First and foremost congrats to Jim Nill. He'll be awesome in his new role. Stars fans should be very happy as Nill will turn that franchise around very quickly. It will be interesting to see how active he is on the trade and UFA route. All I can say is I'm very happy for him.

I wonder if Stevie Y is likely to come to Detroit any time soon. If say Holland plans to move up from the GM spot when his contract ends, would the Wings want to bring Stevie Y back to fill Nill's role before being moved up to GM? That is my hope now that Nill has moved on. Who knows, maybe the Wings want Nill to have experience running another franchise and they could consider him to come back to Detroit when Holland moves on from the GM role. So that's what I will be interested in seeing as far as the likely candidates to eventually replace Holland.

The timing is curious, my guess is Dallas wanted to have Nill in place prior to the draft. Who will handle the draft for Detroit? Time will tell but I'm honestly not sure if they will bring someone from the outside in to handle the draft or will they roll with their current scouting staff. Also, how many scouts/front office/cap manager people will he take with him?

I hate to lose Nill but he's paid his dues and he's been very successful with Detroit. While I'd prefer to have him replace Holland this season over moving on to a new organization, I cannot wish him anything but the best.
Well said and my point is backed up here.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Part of me is kind of excited about this. It will be interesting to see how he stands on his own in an organization that's in a bit of disarray right now.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Hey if I had a run as good as his and I was pushing very good and long standing people that I told where going to get my spot you can bet your A@# I would. He could move on in the front office of the team and let the guy have his chance can he not? If it did not work out then let him walk. but you do not cut off your nose to spite your face. this could hurt this team very badly. but I really just don't like change.

Hey, I havent been a fan of Hollands recent work, but these are peoples livelihoods that you blast on the internet. These are peoples lives, and honestly, this may just be what's best for all involved.

You dont get to decide what's what here.

RedWingsNow*

You do realize that Fischer is currently Director of Player Development for the Wings, right? Every player who comes up through the Wings' system has his stamp on them.

Although he might prefer going into coaching; he was an assistant coach for the Czechs at last year's WJHC.

You didn't answer the question.

Jiri Fischer wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Maybe he matured and wised up

RedWingsNow*

If you're Jim Nill, and you've done things the "red wing way," with the puck possession, yada yada yada....

And you look at the Stars lineup...

How do you proceed?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If you're Jim Nill, and you've done things the "red wing way," with the puck possession, yada yada yada....

How do you proceed?

Well I think the people kicking around the idea of moving Loui Eriksson maybe being available can shelf that he fits perfectly into Red Wings hockey. Then again we might just have someone that really appreciates a couple of our prospects so that could be interesting....

He is going to have to hatchet that team up a bit. They have a lot of good young wingers, but Dallas should go with a youth movement in my opinion. Get rid of some of the older defenders, role Morrow and Oleksiak up. If he could target and land Weiss for that second line it would be interesting. I don't think the Stars are terrible, they have a vastly underrated prospect pool. But he needs to get some answers at center and some of their depth players are very replaceable. They have moved a lot of the slower plug type guys might have been one of the reasons Nill was intrigued.

Benn, Eriksson, Cole and Whitney are all under contract for next year and in the top 6, they do have a franchise goalie according to most, I actually prefer Howard over Lehtonen so if you don't think Jimmy is one then you shouldn't say that about Kari. But that D needs help and the centers are troubling. Curious if Dallas becomes a big player for Filppula.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So who does Nill value on the Wings and who does he find expendable on the Stars?

That's going to be interesting to see.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
vader.jpg

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Well I think the people kicking around the idea of moving Loui Eriksson maybe being available can shelf that he fits perfectly into Red Wings hockey. Then again we might just have someone that really appreciates a couple of our prospects so that could be interesting....

He is going to have to hatchet that team up a bit. They have a lot of good young wingers, but Dallas should go with a youth movement in my opinion. Get rid of some of the older defenders, role Morrow and Oleksiak up. If he could target and land Weiss for that second line it would be interesting. I don't think the Stars are terrible, they have a vastly underrated prospect pool. But he needs to get some answers at center and some of their depth players are very replaceable. They have moved a lot of the slower plug type guys might have been one of the reasons Nill was intrigued.

Benn, Eriksson, Cole and Whitney are all under contract for next year and in the top 6, they do have a franchise goalie according to most, I actually prefer Howard over Lehtonen so if you don't think Jimmy is one then you shouldn't say that about Kari. But that D needs help and the centers are troubling. Curious if Dallas becomes a big player for Filppula.

With all due respect, that is just your opinion. I prefer Kari's ability over Howie's. Lehtonen just has had issues staying healthy. And turning the wrong side of 30 this year certainly doesn't help on that department.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
I thought Bryan Murray had started in Detroit at least in the managing rule. He might have coached before that I'm not sure though.
murray was coach of the capitals in '80s. prior to that he was coach of capitals' minor league team, hershey bears.

dave poile was capitals' GM during '80s and '90s, so i think murray became GM for the 1st time here.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Andersson is in the perfect role/niche for us. Over in Europe with a great pulse on what's going on over there, feeding us all of our best prospects. Why in the hell would we want to promote or move him to North America?

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
If Andersson is willing to move to NA, then fine. Lidstrom could replace him as head scout in Europe maybe?

It could be Draper. "Special assistant to the GM", yeah it's pretty much in his job description.

Fischer, Chelios and Osgood don't seem like management material. More like coaching and player development.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Andersson is willing to move to NA, then fine. Lidstrom could replace him as head scout in Europe maybe?

It could be Draper. "Special assistant to the GM", yeah it's pretty much in his job description.

Fischer, Chelios and Osgood don't seem like management material. More like coaching and player development.

Just because Lidstrom was a great player doesn't mean he would be a great talent evaluator. Just saying. I hope we keep Andersson in Europe.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Hey, I havent been a fan of Hollands recent work, but these are peoples livelihoods that you blast on the internet. These are peoples lives, and honestly, this may just be what's best for all involved.

You dont get to decide what's what here.

Are trying to imply that Kenny needs the money? :laugh: okay any valid point you had just went out the window. his livelihood? it may be best for all involved we do not know yet, but telling someone for 15 yrs a spot is going to be his and dragging it on and on is not right either.

Nope I do not, if I did Kenny would be the pres of the wings and Nill would be the GM next year. at least try it and see what happens. if it did not work out let him walk and go back with Kenny. is that such a bad thing to do?

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Congrats to Nill. He deserves it after a long period of being behind the scenes here.

The Wings will continue to thrive, as they have a good track record of hiring the right people for the right roles. I think combining Fischer's current role with Assistant GM wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as he is able to do both.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just because Lidstrom was a great player doesn't mean he would be a great talent evaluator. Just saying. I hope we keep Andersson in Europe.

Yeah, I don't see Hakan coming over. He seems quite happy handling his part of team scouting and coming to NA would be a huge move away from his strongest area of contribution to the organization.

crashman

Yeah, I don't see Hakan coming over. He seems quite happy handling his part of team scouting and coming to NA would be a huge move away from his strongest area of contribution to the organization.

I agree. I just want him to keep doing what he's doing, and for the Red Wings organization and no one else.

I'm bummed to hear the news about Nill, but it's good for him. I just hope he doesn't poach DeKeyser when his contract is up.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
Are trying to imply that Kenny needs the money? :laugh: okay any valid point you had just went out the window. his livelihood? it may be best for all involved we do not know yet, but telling someone for 15 yrs a spot is going to be his and dragging it on and on is not right either.

Nope I do not, if I did Kenny would be the pres of the wings and Nill would be the GM next year. at least try it and see what happens. if it did not work out let him walk and go back with Kenny. is that such a bad thing to do?

Nope, I'm not.

I'm saying it's clear that Ken Holland feels he has more to give to only NHL organization he's ever worked for.

If you're so altruistic that you can leave your job-your professional life for the last X amount of years-for whatever made up reason....

then you can always PM me a copy of your 2 weeks notice.

PS: Source for the second bolded part?

crashman

How do you proceed?

You start by trading Loui Eriksson to the Red Wings!

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Nope, I'm not.

I'm saying it's clear that Ken Holland feels he has more to give to only NHL organization he's ever worked for.

If you're so altruistic that you can leave your job-your professional life for the last X amount of years-for whatever made up reason....

then you can always PM me a copy of your 2 weeks notice.

PS: Source for the second bolded part?

It has been said for years that he was Kenny replacement, that is why Stevie went to Tampa, he was not next in line for the GM spot here.
Kenny all so said he would retire when Nick did, I ask again is it such a bad thing to make Ken the pres and Jim the GM? Kenny would still be able to contribute to the team, working hand and hand with the guy he has trained for 15 yrs.

If all you have is a hard on to keep Kenny there that is fine, I am not saying he has to leave the team just move up is that a bad thing?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
It has been said for years that he was Kenny replacement, that is why Stevie went to Tampa, he was not next in line for the GM spot here.
Kenny all so said he would retire when Nick did, I ask again is it such a bad thing to make Ken the pres and Jim the GM? Kenny would still be able to contribute to the team, working hand and hand with the guy he has trained for 15 yrs.

If all you have is a hard on to keep Kenny there that is fine, I am not saying he has to leave the team just move up is that a bad thing?

Holland was joking when he made the Lidstrom comments, and I think pretty much everyone knew that.

Nill was next in line to be a GM, but not necessarily in Detroit, why do you think they let him interview for any job offer that came his way?

Losing Nill sucks, but not because we lost a potential GM, its because we lost the guy who oversaw our drafting and prospect development. In Dallas he may not handle those responsibilities on top of being the GM so he may not be as effective in his new role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad