Confirmed with Link: Jim Nill Being Named GM of Dallas Stars Monday (Conf Post #95)

WesNichols14

Nov 22, 2011
Port Huron Michigan
Not sure if it was mentioned but Ryan Martin is expected to take Nill's spot, via CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/04/29/sp-nhl-dallas-stars-gm-jim-nill.html

Draft-day steals
Nill, who in recent years had handed more draft responsibility to McDonnell, helped uncover several late-round steals like Pavel Datsyuk (171st overall in 1998), Henrik Zetterberg (210th in ’99), Johan Franzen (97th in 2004) and Jonathan Ericsson (291st in ’02).

I like this because the last few drafts have been great for us. much better than the ones from 04-08.
also all of those Steals were more Hakan Andersson than Nill. were still going to miss him but none the less its nice to know our drafting isn't going to go to crap. and it never hurts to have another friend in a GM's chair come trade deadline.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
A huge loss to the organization, almost as big of a hit as Bowman leaving. Interesting times ahead for the Wings.

It'll be a loss, but I get the impression the Wings have been building for this occurance for a few years. The talk of Nill's wife dealing with cancer has been talked about quite a bit, but I wonder if part of the reason Nill hasn't left is that he didn't feel the Wings were in a position to handle it. It's not like the guy hasn't had opportunities presented to him.

edit: such as the link above mentioned McDonnell's job growing. I don't have anything solid to base any of this on, just a feeling I get watching the org.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Curious if he is taking anybody, this did jump out at me. Guess it was already pointed out, but I didn't know that, so it would seem McDonnell has had some force in the last couple drafts, which while early are still getting pretty decent praise.

Nill, who in recent years had handed more draft responsibility to McDonnell

So hopefully we hold onto Joe McDonnell, Hakan Andersson and Ryan Martin. Martin and Andersson would seem locks to stick around, but I wonder if McDonnell is targeted by Nill to be his second in command down in Dallas.

Last edited:

HTT3*

Wonder how draft is going to work, Jim Nill already knows who DRWs like and likely want to pick. Does this mean he's going to take the late round gems DRWs plan on taking because they get better picks?

I hope Nill trades Jamie Benn to us for Eaves and Samulesson.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
ha Nill kinda exposed what's the core element of our roster quality

being smart

well hopefully our organization can recover from this loss quickly

yave1964

22 and counting
Mar 22, 2013
Lexington ohio
Congratulations and best of luck to Mr. Nill who has done an amazing job with the Wings organization.
Here is hoping someone can wake Holland up and wipe the oatmeal off of his chin and keep him awake long enough for the draft. Hope Nill is gracious enough to leave his cheat sheets.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Nill is on NHL Live right now talking about the Wings, how he feels about Dallas, and so on.

Says he's blessed that Jimmy D believed in him, thanks Kenny, talked about Bowman and Babcock and a lot of "unbelievable players."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't have any trust for Ryan Martin's abilities as picking players or building Grand Rapids team roster, or developing talent. He is an business guy, lawyer, cap expert, not a hockey guy at all. Does he have any experience about scouting or picking talent? Picking player potential (+development) is really THE THING to build contenders. Does Martin have that skill? Does somebody else like Joe McDonnell or HÃ¥kan Andersson do those pickings for Martin? If not, I really don't like this move. I hope it's just temporary.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43962

Ryan Martin
Assistant General Manager of
Hockey Administration

Martin enters his third season as assistant general manager, hockey administration and his eighth overall as a member of the front office team. Martin is primarily responsible for collective bargaining agreement (CBA) administration and compliance, salary cap management, player contract research and analysis, and salary arbitration preparation. He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels.

Prior to joining the Red Wings in 2005, Martin practiced law from 1998-99 in Denver, Colorado with the firm of Messner & Reeves, LLC, specializing in corporate, commercial transactional, and taxation law. From 1999-2003, he worked in Denver as an attorney and NHLPA-certified player agent with Kurt Overhardt, PC and KO Sports, Inc., representing professional hockey players in all facets of their careers. From 2003-05, Martin served as the in-house corporate counsel for a group of closely held businesses in Massachusetts and also worked as a part-time scout for the Omaha Lancers (USHL).

A native of Connecticut, Martin graduated from Trinity College in 1992 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Legal Studies. He went on to earn a law degree from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1997 and an LL.M. in taxation from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1998.

Ryan and his wife, Candace, reside in suburban Detroit with their daughter, Ava, and son, Cam.

Last edited:

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels.

Kind of the job description, no? With support of the GM, scouting team and other members of the organization, I don't think it's a terrible move.

Look, Nill is gone, can't do anything about it. And Martin isn't confirmed is he. And people forget, if they replaced Holland with Nill, they would still have to find a replacement for Nill's old job.

HTT3*

I don't have any trust for Ryan Martin's abilities as picking players or building Grand Rapids team roster, or developing talent. He is an business guy, lawyer, cap expert, not a hockey guy at all. Does he have any experience about scouting or picking talent? Picking player potential (+development) is really THE THING to build contenders. Does Martin have that skill? Does somebody else like Joe McDonnell or HÃ¥kan Andersson do those pickings for Martin? If not, I really don't like this move. I hope it's just temporary.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43962

I don't know the guy, never talked to him. The people who do know him, the people who talk to him every day, the people who get paid the big bucks to run the organization seem to like him. They likely know him more than any of us here and know what he is capable of.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I will be interested to see if there is a noticeable change in the drafting now that Nill is gone.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Wonder how draft is going to work, Jim Nill already knows who DRWs like and likely want to pick. Does this mean he's going to take the late round gems DRWs plan on taking because they get better picks?

I wonder if Nill will play the role of Yzerman and help Holland out at times (like the Quincey trade, where Colorado didn't want to trade with Detroit and Yzerman did Holland a favor). We might have the network of former Detroit GMs.

GT500x

Im OK where we're at
Jun 15, 2008
My comfort zone
I wonder if Nill will play the role of Yzerman and help Holland out at times (like the Quincey trade, where Colorado didn't want to trade with Detroit and Yzerman did Holland a favor). We might have the network of former Detroit GMs.

Holland did overpay for Quincey so it wasn't that much of a favor.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

There is no way in the world that Eaves and Samulesson will get us Jamie Benn, Yeah like the Stars are going to give us there talanted Winger for garbage like that get real will never happen.

RaySheppard

Oct 9, 2010
So they deny the Leafs a chance to speak with Nill and a few years later tell the Stars to go ahead. If Mike Illitch isn't running the team anymore, which one of his kids is?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad