Management Jim Montgomery

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

Jim Montgomery was interviewed on the Raw Knuckles podcast. The episode drops tomorrow.

Hopefully the team will be better next season/playoffs. Need to add another degree of physicality. Or at least able to withstand better

- They couldnt beat Bobrovsky - kept shooting low. Vs up high like VGK did.

- Panthers short lobbed pucks frequently(when in trouble) and had their forwards lay hits/handcuff the Bruins Ds.

- Bruins stopped involving their Ds on offense more/pinch from the point. Not sure if it was because team was worried about Ullmark health

Games 3 and 4... Bruins dictated the pace

Games 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 ...Panthers dictated the pace and had the edge in physicality

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hopefully the team will be better next season/playoffs. Need to add another degree of physicality. Or at least able to withstand better

- Panthers short lobbed pucks frequently(when in trouble) and had their forwards lay hits/handcuff the Bruins Ds.

- Bruins stopped involving their Ds on offense more/pinch from the point. Not sure if it was because team was worried about Ullmark health

Games 1, 2, 5, 6, 7 ...Panthers dictated the pace and had the edge in physicality

They beat Bobrovsky just fine. Offense wasn't the problem.

Reactions: Bruinfanatic

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
LOL wow. Says he needs to be able to tell body language better. Looking at guys eyes and which players wanting the moment vs those who didn't,, Wow throw them under the bus much? WOuld have done much dfferent...sounds like Ullmark just wore out from being tired. Not much he would have done different

Had the team to win it all. Didn't get his team to play it's best.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
LOL wow. Says he needs to be able to tell body language better. Looking at guys eyes and which players wanting the moment vs those who didn't,, Wow throw them under the bus much? WOuld have done much dfferent...sounds like Ullmark just wore out from being tired. Not much he would have done different

Had the team to win it all. Didn't get his team to play it's best.
Sheesh. Not much he'd do differently? Front running bullshit is what they got and once the playoffs and intensity ramped up, they looked lost. That's bad coaching right there. He didn't have the team prepared for a fight. They thought it was going to be easy and they'd breeze right through. Says a lot about this core too, no? Gutless.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Caveat that I haven't actually listened to the interview and am going off the cliffnotes others are posting (the best way to provide hot takes), but gotta say I'm really, really concerned with what I'm reading.

We all accept he goofed up the playoff series. What troubled me in the immediate aftermath was the lack of accountability (go ask Goalie Bob!), and if he's really going on podcasts talking about how he wouldn't do anything differently and body language, f***ing ay.

I did think and still think that despite being the biggest contributing factor to the largest choke in NHL history and the worst coaching performance since Grady Little, he's shown a lot of promise and players in Dallas, St. Louis, and Boston have had nothing but heaping praise for him, and has had good results, and from that I'd give him another opportunity to look at this year's playoffs as a learning opportunity to bounce back from. But the continued lack of accountability, holy shit. And it looks like he's starting to deflect onto players who were not ready for the moment because of their eyes or body language? I'm very worried that this guy is just a friendly and sociable passenger who is in way over his head.

Reactions: Gordoff

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Caveat that I haven't actually listened to the interview and am going off the cliffnotes others are posting (the best way to provide hot takes), but gotta say I'm really, really concerned with what I'm reading.

We all accept he goofed up the playoff series. What troubled me in the immediate aftermath was the lack of accountability (go ask Goalie Bob!), and if he's really going on podcasts talking about how he wouldn't do anything differently and body language, f***ing ay.

I did think and still think that despite being the biggest contributing factor to the largest choke in NHL history and the worst coaching performance since Grady Little, he's shown a lot of promise and players in Dallas, St. Louis, and Boston have had nothing but heaping praise for him, and has had good results, and from that I'd give him another opportunity to look at this year's playoffs as a learning opportunity to bounce back from. But the continued lack of accountability, holy shit. And it looks like he's starting to deflect onto players who were not ready for the moment because of their eyes or body language? I'm very worried that this guy is just a friendly and sociable passenger who is in way over his head.
I would have fired him. He still doesn't get it. Listen from like 53 minutes on. Basically Ullmark was tired, but there really isn't much he would do different. He mentioned defensive pairs maybe.

He's done some reading on body language

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I would have fired him. He still doesn't get it. Listen from like 53 minutes on. Basically Ullmark was tired, but there really isn't anything he would do different. He mentioned defensive pairs maybe.
Exactly. I'd be more than okay with it if he were out there handling the media and taking on the blame just to be a heat shield for his players, or even if would stand by his tactics in a "this is what got us here and I believe in it going forward" kind of way. But he's not doing any of that nor is he showing that he's learned anything at all from the experience in his answers. He just comes across as a guy who doesn't get it at all.

His decisions during the Florida series showed a man who was in full-on panic mode under the pressure. And from the interview it sounds like he's still there.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Exactly. I'd be more than okay with it if he were out there handling the media and taking on the blame just to be a heat shield for his players, or even if would stand by his tactics in a "this is what got us here and I believe in it going forward" kind of way. But he's not doing any of that nor is he showing that he's learned anything at all from the experience in his answers. He just comes across as a guy who doesn't get it at all.

His decisions during the Florida series showed a man who was in full-on panic mode under the pressure. And from the interview it sounds like he's still there.
Then he says he needs to read the eyes of the players and who wants it and who doesn't. Said he read a book on body language. Like who are the players who "didn't want it"?

I guess I am spoiled by Claude and Bruce but Montgomery sounds a lot like Dave Lewis lol

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I would have fired him. He still doesn't get it. Listen from like 53 minutes on. Basically Ullmark was tired, but there really isn't much he would do different. He mentioned defensive pairs maybe.

I don't know how much to read into interviews like this. Probably not a lot. Monty's not really a sharer when it comes to talking coaching and tactics with the media or on podcasts etc. He's a talkative guy who's happy to tell stories and general chit chat, but he keeps things pretty shallow or generic whenever it comes to discussing the inner workings of his coaching. Been that way all year.

We know he screwed up in the playoffs and we know he's got some changes and improvements to make if he wants real success in the NHL, but I don't think we'll learn much about whether he's really grasped what he needs to do differently just from listening to whatever he says publicly. The proof will be on the ice.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don't know how much to read into interviews like this. Probably not a lot. Monty's not really a sharer when it comes to talking coaching and tactics with the media or on podcasts etc. He's a talkative guy who's happy to tell stories and general chit chat, but he keeps things pretty shallow or generic whenever it comes to discussing the inner workings of his coaching. Been that way all year.

We know he screwed up in the playoffs and we know he's got some changes and improvements to make if he wants real success in the NHL, but I don't think we'll learn much about whether he's really grasped what he needs to do differently just from listening to whatever he says publicly. The proof will be on the ice.

He also kept saying 'we' when asked if he would do things differently.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
The whole narrative of “our core is soft”, or “he’s letting the players run the team” is overblown imo.

The body language thing is weak, though

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

We listened to the same interview and that’s not what I took from it, it’s summer time folks, time to take a break from hockey me thinks and hit the reset button in the fall

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

He rolled into the playoffs using the formula that worked for them all year- just throw shit against the wall and see what happens. Scramble the lines and see what happens. Turn it on for 5 min a night and see what happens. Roll out the new guys and see what happens. Play some AHL kids and see what happens.

In the regular season what happened was it all worked and they had a historic year.

In the playoffs just about none of it worked and they were out in game 7 OT to the club who went out and smoked Toronto and Carolina afterward.

Last edited:

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

He is a good regular season coach and has also proven in the playoffs by taking the Stars to the WCF. Stars went from mediocre to WCF and Finals the year after that.

The playoff issue this season had more to do with Sweeney vs Montgomery imo. Construct of the team. Bad 1st round matchup. 8th seed and goalie clicking at the wrong time.

I love Bergy and Krejci. But Panthers 1st two lines beat our top 1st two lines. Especially in the physicality department. Our D core while talented, overall too soft vs Panthers. This is why Monty started out with Clifton/game 6, but got sh%#% for it.

Bruins played (via Monty decision or not) Ullmark. As it was unconventional to platoon two goalies in the playoffs. I think we found out that... Ullmark lacks the stamina/health to be a 1A in the playoffs.

Ullmark signing has worked out but also has not. It wasnt required. Ate capspace. It was perfectly fine to roll with Swayman with a cheap
vet.

Next season will be considered a semi rebuild .. and Monty will do a good job/help team overachieve and make the playoffs. If Bergy doesn't return, I have confidence he can work with Zacha, Coyle, Frederic/or whoever... down the middle.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The whole narrative of “our core is soft”, or “he’s letting the players run the team” is overblown imo.

The body language thing is weak, though
I thought the weakest thing was being thoroughly out coached by a stiff like Paul Maurice. That's what was offensive to me because Maurice is not a good coach.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Bob had a save percentage of .891 against Boston.

Allowed 17 goals in 4 games.

Bruins could, and did, beat him, often.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Hop
I thought the weakest thing was being thoroughly out coached by a stiff like Paul Maurice. That's what was offensive to me because Maurice is not a good coach.
Why was a guy who played in the league and coached in the league surprised by the intensity?

I think he'll be better for this experience, but he wasn't ready for playoff hockey.

Reactions: Gordoff and LSCII

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
He rolled into the playoffs using the formula that worked for them all year- just throw shit against the wall and see what happens. Scramble the lines and see what happens. Turn it on for 5 min a night and see what happens. Roll out the new guys and see what happens. Play some AHL kids and see what happens.

In the regular season what happened was it all worked and they had a historic year.

In the playoffs just about none of it worked and they were out in game 7 OT to the club who went out and smoked Toronto and Carolina afterward.
Personally though the Bruins really never looked that great the last 20 or more games off the regular season,they struggled to score goals especially at home ,gave up numerous odd man rushes and breakaways ,and if not for the goaltending deserved to lose a lot of games .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad