Management Jim Montgomery

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I don't know how much to read into interviews like this. Probably not a lot. Monty's not really a sharer when it comes to talking coaching and tactics with the media or on podcasts etc. He's a talkative guy who's happy to tell stories and general chit chat, but he keeps things pretty shallow or generic whenever it comes to discussing the inner workings of his coaching. Been that way all year.

We know he screwed up in the playoffs and we know he's got some changes and improvements to make if he wants real success in the NHL, but I don't think we'll learn much about whether he's really grasped what he needs to do differently just from listening to whatever he says publicly. The proof will be on the ice.
I'm hoping that's the case and he will grow from his experience of laying a huge turd in the playoffs. He needs to cut out the talk about body language and the look in people's eyes. If he really is into that kind of thing then the Bs are doomed under him.

I've been in trainings with federal law enforcement experts on body language and the first thing they all have told me is that basing decisions on body language is one of the biggest mistakes a person can make due to all the variables involved. Not saying it's completely useless, but it should be a very small factor. Monty seems to think it's a big thing. These are professional hockey players he's coaching, not little kids who wear their emotions on their sleeves via body language. Screw body language. Last summer, Monty was the guy I thought would lead the Bs to the promised land. Feeling like I must have missed something with his body language.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I'm hoping that's the case and he will grow from his experience of laying a huge turd in the playoffs. He needs to cut out the talk about body language and the look in people's eyes. If he really is into that kind of thing then the Bs are doomed under him.

I've been in trainings with federal law enforcement experts on body language and the first thing they all have told me is that basing decisions on body language is one of the biggest mistakes a person can make due to all the variables involved. Not saying it's completely useless, but it should be a very small factor. Monty seems to think it's a big thing. These are professional hockey players he's coaching, not little kids who wear their emotions on their sleeves via body language. Screw body language. Last summer, Monty was the guy I thought would lead the Bs to the promised land. Feeling like I must have missed something with his body language.
The body language stuff is waaaay overblown - it was like 4 seconds of an hour long interview.

He also said "It was my job to get my team to perform its best at the most important time and I failed there. . . and some people think it's a weakness to admit that I failed there but there's nothing wrong with being vulnerable, its how you grow. If you turn a blind eye you're not going to learn from it, you will just repeat it."

Reactions: pearljamvs5

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Will be interested to see where it goes for Monty. I think after the issues he had before becoming Bruins coach probably made him a bit more docile and not ruffle any feathers through most of the year. Now in the post season he did start to tinker more which may or may not have affected the series. The question is he starting to put his stamp on the team and will control more going forward or will he back off and be more docile again. Not saying either way is correct, but it will be interesting to see what adjustments he makes

Reactions: Gordoff

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I have tried to remain level headed about all of this, but the longer Montgomery fails to really verbalize anything tangible as to the problems and possible solutions to what happened in April…the more concerned I get.

He hasn’t come off as a confident in his own ability either with how his team performed in the playoffs or how he evaluates it afterwards.

I understand that, at the end of every year, one team wins and all the others lose. Winning is the exception. But as a Bruins fan first and foremost, I find the lack of really any insight coming from the head coach very disappointing.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Interesting. I guess the people who pretend to know what's going on in the locker room can cross Bergy off the list of players who allegedly said they wouldn't come back unless Bruce was fired. Now we know why the Bs couldn't a win a playoff game with Bergy in the lineup. He wanted to be right about his prediction to Stone :sarcasm:

I think it helps confirm the thought that everyone knew Cassidy was a good coach, just not the right coach moving forward for the Bruins.

Would Cassidy bring a Stanley Cup to Montreal, San Jose, Arizona? Most likely not. Put a good coach on a good team and good results are bound to happen.

Reactions: pearljamvs5

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
There's not much outside of a deep playoff run that can get me back on the Montgomery train. His playoff decision making was the worst I have ever witnessed and was the #1 reason the Bruins lost to Florida in what should have been at minimum a SCF appearance. He's lucky the Bruins had a fantastic albeit meaningless regular season, it saved his bacon from being shown the door.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We know he screwed up in the playoffs and we know he's got some changes and improvements to make if he wants real success in the NHL, but I don't think we'll learn much about whether he's really grasped what he needs to do differently just from listening to whatever he says publicly. The proof will be on the ice.
That is what worries me.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
He had a great regular season and a shitty playoffs. Not the first coach to do this. I believe he’ll learn and instill his style next year. Everything was working good the way things were go, why mess with it during the season. He blew the playoffs because of the way the year went and trusted some guys maybe. Veterans? I doubt next year he does the same thing. He did great in Dallas. I look forward to seeing that type team next year. Bring on the kids and have him work with them. He did play a gritty style in Dallas. Too many non gritty’s on the Bruins roster. Let’s see what happens.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Interesting. I guess the people who pretend to know what's going on in the locker room can cross Bergy off the list of players who allegedly said they wouldn't come back unless Bruce was fired. Now we know why the Bs couldn't a win a playoff game with Bergy in the lineup. He wanted to be right about his prediction to Stone :sarcasm:
The more I hear about shit like this the more I want Bergy to retire and move on from him.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
The more I hear about shit like this the more I want Bergy to retire and move on from him.
The more I read stuff like this, the more I think Bergy should never have played for less than his value.....and hope he retire getting away of this shit...!

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
The unfortunate part is we have to wait almost a year to see what he picked up on and how he improved. He did a solid job during the regular season especially the first couple months. Then playoffs come around and the pressure clearly got to him. He even lost his character when taking to the media and blamed members of the coaching staff for his poor decisions.

Hopefully he learns, but I don’t think we will get any real answers until he see him in a playoff environment again. He was two completely different coaches in the regular season and the postseason. It was confusing to watch someone make so many mistakes in the playoffs after a fairly flawless regular season

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
1695847929904.png

Reactions: TP70BruinsCup

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Will be interested to see where it goes for Monty. I think after the issues he had before becoming Bruins coach probably made him a bit more docile and not ruffle any feathers through most of the year. Now in the post season he did start to tinker more which may or may not have affected the series. The question is he starting to put his stamp on the team and will control more going forward or will he back off and be more docile again. Not saying either way is correct, but it will be interesting to see what adjustments he makes
I don`t see his sobriety (am I assuming that is what you are referring to as correct?) as a possible reason for how he handles players. It`s fairly well known, while only a short body of work as a HC in Dallas, he was a players coach. A guy who recognizes strengths in players and allows those players to play to their strength.

He isn`t the perfect coach, we all see that but I wager the boys love playing for a coach that isn`t constantly handcuffing them and not allowing their skill to be replaced by X and O coaching style.

Reactions: HustleB

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
make it stop!

"I'm not sure why the players were so tired having six of them carry 96% of the load in the final fifteen minutes of the game. we'll have to look at that. it's weird when Pastrnak isn't effective at the 'end' of a multi-minute shift. when the top players seem worn out, that's the time to get them right back out there and leave them out there. for overtime, if they are tired enough, I like starting with Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Coyle; then switching on the fly to Pastrnak, Zacha and McAvoy; and when they've had enough we move on to Pastrnak, McAvoy, and Pastrnak."
Dear God. Just watch instead of numbers.,

Meanwhile I still don’t know what this meat

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
BOSTON – The National Hockey League announced today, January 14, that Boston Bruins Head Coach Jim Montgomery has been named the head coach representing the Atlantic Division for the 2024 NHL All-Star Game in Toronto, Ontario.

This nomination marks Montgomery’s second NHL All-Star appearance after representing the Atlantic Division in 2023.

Peter Laviolette (New York Rangers, Metropolitan Division), Rick Bowness (Winnipeg Jets, Central Division) and Rick Tocchet (Vancouver Canucks, Pacific Division) were also selected as All-Star head coaches. Under the All-Star selection process, the head coach of the teams with the highest points percentage in each of the four divisions were selected.

Montgomery has led the Bruins to a 25-8-9 record through 42 games this season.

Under Montgomery, the Bruins currently sit fourth place in penalty kill (84.3 percent) and also have the league’s fifth best power-play (27.1 percent).

Montgomery will join forward David Pastrnak and goaltender Jeremy Swayman in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad