Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
His game 7 lines and time together during the season 5v5

63-37-59 - 5:55
18-46-88 - 437:55
71-13-74- 0:43
11-92-21- 0:00

like bye Jim
Yeah what better time to try totally messing up and experimenting with lines then a game 7 ,the problem,wasn’t scoring goals the past 2 games it was in preventing them,were these changes to tighten up the defensive play maybe.Got me .

Reactions: SonnyBoy

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Yeah what better time to try totally messing up and experimenting with lines then a game 7 ,the problem,wasn’t scoring goals the past 2 games it was in preventing them,were these changes to tighten up the defensive play maybe.Got me .
The Orlov Mac and Lindholm Carlo pairs were familiar w each other. The Forbort Gryz one was rough they only played 11 minutes all year together, but held their own

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The Orlov Mac and Lindholm Carlo pairs were familiar w each other. The Forbort Gryz one was rough they only played 11 minutes all year together, but held their own
Meant more to the forward lines for the game 7 scoring goals wasn’t really the issue the two previous games

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Looking back at the series again

Monty should have called a timeout after the 5-4 lead in game 6

Maybe slam the stick against the boards for the team to wake up. Stop playing so loose/close it out.

I also didnt really like him giving props to Panthers star players (outplaying the Bruins star players)

In one equation up to the coach to fire his players.

Anyways still bitter... lots of awards will be won but without the diamond on the ring

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I was a fan/supporter before he got hired.

He seemed to have a great effect on the team during the regular season, but his playoff was atrocious. I mean, as bad as it gets. And now I'm wondering how much of the regular season was him and how much of it was the players rallying around Bergeron's last season?

My confidence is completely shaken.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Even if he learns from his mistakes it's unlikely that the Bruins will be a serious SC contender for the remainder of his coaching career in Boston. To butcher up things as bad as he did will be very difficult for this fan to forget, chances like this year rarely come around and in the Bruins case with an aging core and resources expended it will take the fanbase a long time to get excited about a Bruins playoff run thanks to Montgomery.
I’ll get excited again when they draft Gavin McKenna in 2026.

Reactions: SPLBRUIN

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think we have a coach that came in to a veteran room. Things started to click early on and he didn’t rock the boat. He rode the train. Why wouldn’t he. I think next year we see the real Monty. Let’s not forget, all Dallas players loved him. I remember those teams being hard to play against. Let’s see what happens next year where he is really going to have to coach. He way over thought these playoffs. Too many toys.

Reactions: Gordoff and Midship

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m a Monty guy and still am but his game 5 mistakes will always stick with me

A coach is to put players in the best position to win

His entire series was one of
1. Creating short-term doubt with his 5-7 D and some of his bottom 6 F

2. He through familiarity out the window at the worst time

3. He splintered their focus

No shock the first 11:57 of game 5 they went over 9 minutes without a shot ATTEMPT were dominated territorial, outscored, and as Shawn McDonagh said at the 10 minute mark they are playing like the puck with like it’s a hand grenade.

Putting 63-37-74 each on a different line was crazy to me. Scratching Frederic who played second most regular season games of F, scored 17 goals, offered positional flexibility, and was 28th in +|- in league just a head scratcher - especially after playing well in Florida (full disclosure I own him in HF SIM league which means I’m partial - but also means I watch him more closely then 99% of people who aren’t his blood)

I go to the gym everyday, see my neighbors, my takeout & coffee places and I get 99% this player sucks, choker, no DNA and I smile and sometimes chat a bit but I’m just not going there

Monty I endorsed and I’d bring him back - game 5 will go down to me as the singular biggest coaching screw up I’ve seen since Tom Johnson in 1971 playoffs

We all see what we want to see and I will always reserve the right to change my mind - but will I’m in the state I always will think he cost them that series

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyBoy

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
As related threads are closed, I will add that save Charlie, who looked as if he'd just sucked a lemon, all parties took full responsibility for what happened against FLA.

I suspect they finally understand how to relate to their fan base, which is encouraging.

It helps that Mr. Burns was a happy no show.

Good for Don Sweeney, good (I guess, what's he do?) Cam Neely, and, especially, good for Jim Montgomery, who at this late date, evidently understands that he made several whopper mistakes.

I hope Montgomery can learn from these mistakes. I think he can. I'm certainly willing to give him another chance.

The Bruins will indeed look "very different" next season, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. They will benefit, if one may say so, from low expectations as other clubs/media/fans, naturally, dole out the raspberries. From training camp, to October, through Christmas, into the stretch, and, if we're lucky, beyond.

They will be under the radar, which is precisely where they should be. Go ask FLA.

Get used to it and wear it with pride.

Eff 'em if they can't take a joke.

Peace. Out,

:bruins:lightningbolt:wedgie:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I’m a Monty guy and still am but his game 5 mistakes will always stick with me
A coach is to put players in the best position to winHis entire series was one of
1. Creating short-term doubt with his 5-7 D and some of his bottom 6 F
2. He through familiarity out the window at the worst time
3. He splintered their focus
No shock the first 11:57 of game 5 they went over 9 minutes without a shot ATTEMPT were dominated territorial, outscored, and as Shawn McDonagh said at the 10 minute mark they are playing like the puck with like it’s a hand grenade.

Putting 63-37-74 each on a different line was crazy to me. Scratching Frederic who played second most regular season games of F, scored 17 goals, offered positional flexibility, and was 28th in +|- in league just a head scratcher - especially after playing well in Florida (full disclosure I own him in HF SIM league which means I’m partial - but also means I watch him more closely then 99% of people who aren’t his blood)

I go to the gym everyday, see my neighbors, my takeout & coffee places and I get 99% this player sucks, choker, no DNA and I smile and sometimes chat a bit but I’m just not going there

Monty I endorsed and I’d bring him back - game 5 will go down to me as the singular biggest coaching screw up I’ve seen since Tom Johnson in 1971 playoffs

We all see what we want to see and I will always reserve the right to change my mind - but will I’m in the state I always will think he cost them that series

Yet the Bruins outshot Florida 47-25.

And how is it the coach's fault that Bruins players were handling the puck like it was a hand grenade?

Frederic was the only forward that played in the series to not record a point for the Bruins. And he was -2.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

And how is it the coach's fault that Bruins players were handling the puck like it was a hand grenade?

DING DING.

I'd like to hear how Monty caused the same hands of stone in Game 7.

Monty can't control how bad the TD Garden ice is. We all like to think that coaches are all-powerful, but reality is, there is little they can do about certain players playing scared and nervous. The player needs to work that problem out. No coddling from the coach is gonna matter.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
There have been multiple coaches fired the following season, but fired in the same offseason of winning the Jack Adams the only one that comes to mind is Ted Nolan in 1997 with Buffalo.

Technically I don't think he was fired. He was only offered a low-end one-year deal and turned it down. His contract had expired.

Tomato/tohmato, I know.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Technically I don't think he was fired. He was only offered a low-end one-year deal and turned it down. His contract had expired.

Tomato/tohmato, I know.
I see. From what I remember Hasek did not get along with Nolan at the time and let management know that he didn't want Nolan to return as coach, so the Sabres parted ways with Nolan.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As related threads are closed, I will add that save Charlie, who looked as if he'd just sucked a lemon, all parties took full responsibility for what happened against FLA.

I suspect they finally understand how to relate to their fan base, which is encouraging.

It helps that Mr. Burns was a happy no show.

Good for Don Sweeney, good (I guess, what's he do?) Cam Neely, and, especially, good for Jim Montgomery, who at this late date, evidently understands that he made several whopper mistakes.

I hope Montgomery can learn from these mistakes. I think he can. I'm certainly willing to give him another chance.

The Bruins will indeed look "very different" next season, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. They will benefit, if one may say so, from low expectations as other clubs/media/fans, naturally, dole out the raspberries. From training camp, to October, through Christmas, into the stretch, and, if we're lucky, beyond.

They will be under the radar, which is precisely where they should be. Go ask FLA.

Get used to it and wear it with pride.

Eff 'em if they can't take a joke.

Peace. Out,

:bruins:lightningbolt:wedgie:
Again pretty spot on

Frederic was the only forward that played in the series to not record a point for the Bruins. And he was -2.
i don’t really give a shit dude. I watched those games 3 & 4 and specifically him since he’s my only Bruins on my SIM team and he played well.

Monty F’d up - you don’t think so. I do. In your world he didn’t fantastic in mine he did.

Way it goes

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Again pretty spot on

i don’t really give a shit dude. I watched those games 3 & 4 and specifically him since he’s my only Bruins on my SIM team and he played well.

Monty F’d up - you don’t think so. I do. In your world he didn’t fantastic in mine he did.

Way it goes

Sorry.

Who am I to have an opinion.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Unfortunately they decide these things before the playoffs, but Lindy Ruff deserves it over Monty for this simple reason,

When his regular season main goalie was struggling after 2 playoff games he switched to his other goalie and won the series.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Again pretty spot on

Way it goes
It was a collaborative f*** up from the coach on down to the 7th dman and 13th forward. Not sure why people are arguing for one or the other. It was an all-skate at the roller rink shit show.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It was a collaborative f*** up from the coach on down to the 7th dman and 13th forward. Not sure why people are arguing for one or the other. It was an all-skate at the roller rink shit show.

Yep. Got it in one. Our best player was the guy who'd spent the least amount of time on the team - Bertuzzi. That says something to me.

Reactions: Gordoff and Dr Hook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad