Management Jim Montgomery

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Boston Bruins head coach Jim Montgomery isn't happy with his team right now.

Not at all.

The Bruins gave a lackluster performance in a 5-2 loss to the New York Rangers last Thursday and then had plenty of chances to beat the Philadelphia Flyers on Saturday before losing 3-2. Monday's practice didn't get off to the best start, either, prompting Montgomery to pause the session for sprints, along with a strong verbal message.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I feel as though this year has been so polarizing because there’s some completely dominant wins and at the same time some gut wrenching losses where we give up goals late in the 3rd to either lose or go to OT and lose.

Montgomery definitely shoulders some of the blame, but it’s tough when the team is winning for the first 56 minutes and then just get the yips. A lot of it’s on the players

Reactions: Dr Hook

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
What's the pass/fail on Monty for the playoffs? I don't think it's as simple as saying win a round or two or whatever. I think it more comes down to the opponent, the way the team plays, and how he handles things and tactics as the games unfold. This roster is decent but no more, they could be one and done and simply beaten by a better team, in which case you'd just have to cop it on the chin. Equally with good application and some luck they could go further.

So for the coach I'm more interested in the how and the why, the planning and the execution, than the results themselves.

Last edited:

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Should have done the bag skate over the first scent of malaise - not trying to break the habit after they have established it as a norm.

This is not good.

• Love
Reactions: JCRO and BMC

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
What's the pass/fail on Monty for the playoffs? I don't think it's as simple as saying win a round or two or whatever. I think it more comes down to the opponent, the way the team plays, and how he handles things and tactics as the games unfold. This roster is decent but no more, they could be one and done and simply beaten by a better team, in which case you'd just have to cop it on the chin. Equally with good application and some luck they could go further.

So for the coach I'm more interested in the how and the why, the planning and the execution, than the results themselves.

It’s tough to say.

I don’t think this team is built well. I don’t believe Zacha is a 1C, and Coyle is a 2C (this is debatable, but he has a lot of goals this year so I don’t feel like arguing) but I feel as though his playmaking impact is not where it needs to be in order for his wings to flourish offensively, especially for a deep playoff run.

Our bottom six is also missing truculence and has a Milan Lucic sized hole in it.

Back end is good enough, but Gryz is a gap and Lindholm is not having a good year.

Goaltending is outstanding, not an issue.

That being said, I don’t know that I could blame Monty if we have a 1st round exit, unless he completely screws with lines and starts a hurt goalie again.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think the team's support players have been getting the message and playing hard. IMO, it's the stars that need to pick it up more. Lindholm, McAvoy, Pasta, Marchand all need to be better than they have been in the past two games.

Reactions: goldnblack

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Should have done the bag skate over the first scent of malaise - not trying to break the habit after they have established it as a norm.

This is not good.

Yup he's a day late and a dollar short. The time to get tough was 40 games ago when it became obvious the team had developed bad habits.

I get he's a "players' coach" & the team needed that after Butch. However he's let them get away with so much stuff it is going to be very hard to pull them back in now.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
oh good lord, ludicrous

He has a team that isn`t as good as it`s record, nor as bad as some of the outings they recently had, they came out and practiced, from what it sounds like, horribly and he reacted

Not taking a pop at you Andrew, but I don't understand the "isn't as good as it's record" this late in a season. I can see it early in a season, but the Bruins have a winning record against playoff bound teams; where they have generally struggled has been playing down to lesser teams. They are as good as their record, because that is the record over 70+ games. You don't get where they are with such a large sample size based on flukes, and fortuitous circumstances. It all pretty much evens out by now.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Yup he's a day late and a dollar short. The time to get tough was 40 games ago when it became obvious the team had developed bad habits.

I get he's a "players' coach" & the team needed that after Butch. However he's let them get away with so much stuff it is going to be very hard to pull them back in now.
I wonder if the team really needed a players coach after Butch. Baby Jakey’s happy but the coach went on to win a SC while we’re sipping bitter brew from the President’s trophy.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
If Monty was smart he would worry about having everyone healthy and energized, focused and ready for the playoffs. Coming in as an eighth seed means nothing. Florida did it, St. Louis did it and LA Kings did it and went on to win the cup.

The most important thing in the playoffs is being energized, healthy and hungry with all players buying in with everything they got every shift.

No team is just going to hand you Lord Stanley.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
A few things to consider...
and these first few may just be subconscious ...
After last year much of the returning team realizes that the regular season doesn't mean much more than qualifying for the playoffs and padding one personal stats towards a continued job and future payday. ... it's the playoffs that matter.
The current team also realizes that there isn't anyone in the current lineup that will stand up and have everyone's back when an opponent is taking liberties with a teammate.
The team just wants to finish the season healthy and start the playoffs , when games really matter.

From a coaching perspective I'm still trying to figure out Montgomery's coaching strategy other than trying to maintain a fast pace and quick transition. I almost feel like the forwards are more concerned with a quick transition then they are towards being responsible defensively in their own end. It's almost as if the team needs a refresher course in what each individuals responsible is defensively to the teams success. I've said this before - this team has the capability and the personnel to shut the opponent down. They just are not executing and being sloppy ... which takes me back to me first few points ... they know what they need to do they just aren't doing it.
Really they should finish out the season with a renewed commitment to being defensively responsible. The offense will take care of it self.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I know one thing, a lot of guys seem to have career years under Monty....

Coyle - 1pt shy of his career high in points, first time in his career he's broken 20 goals

DeBrusk - Put up a career high 50pts last year in only 64 games and on pace for his 2nd best producing year this season

Frederic - Set a career high under Monty last season and has already surpassed that this season

Pastrnak - Broke the 100pt mark for the first time last season and had a career high in goals and assist. This season he's on pace to break the 100pt mark again

Zacha - Career high in goals, assist & points last season and playing a nearly the same pace this season.

Then you get guys that weren't highly sought after like Heinen, JVR, Boqvist, etc having solid seasons.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

This is not good.
These players know what's at stake. They had a record breaking season last year in the regular season and they choked it during Bergeron's last run. The idea that they should need anyone to movitate them is ridiculous to me. If Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak and Charlie McAvoy aren't getting up for games then that's on them. The team let go of a Cup winning coach because he made Jake Debrusk feel bad. If Jake is now not putting forth the effort, he can't blame mean Cassidy any more.

I blame the players most, then Sweeney if he's bringing in players who don't show enough mental toughness and for caving when they complain about a coach. Coaching is an issue but it's last of the 3.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
These players know what's at stake. They had a record breaking season last year in the regular season and they choked it during Bergeron's last run. The idea that they should need anyone to movitate them is ridiculous to me. If Brad Marchand and David Pastrnak and Charlie McAvoy aren't getting up for games then that's on them. The team let go of a Cup winning coach because he made Jake Debrusk feel bad. If Jake is now not putting forth the effort, he can't blame mean Cassidy any more.

I blame the players most, then Sweeney if he's bringing in players who don't show enough mental toughness and for caving when they complain about a coach. Coaching is an issue but it's last of the 3.

Big picture I'm really not sure how Montgomery could possibly be having a better season in terms of getting everything possible out of this team. They've been over their skis all year.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I don't agree with this at all. Coach has been preaching the same message all year.

That message is more important right now because teams around them are ramping up intensity to jockey for playoff position and the Bruins best players haven't been upping theirs the past two games. The support players are getting it done like Zacha, DeBrusk, Geekie, Heinen, and recently Brazeau. But Marchand is in a slump either due to injury, age, or maybe both. Lindholm looked good coming back from his injury but has been noticeably below his normal playing ability the past couple of games. I'd put McAvoy in that same category of playing below his capability of late. Stars need to shine if the Bruins are going to produce wins against playoff teams now and in April/May.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

Yeah you and Boston Bruno hit it on the head.

Great that he bagged skated them. Very late though. IMO should've been done shortly after the All Star break as IMO thats when these bad habits started.

Reactions: BMC and Zillah

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yeah you and Boston Bruno hit it on the head.

Great that he bagged skated them. Very late though. IMO should've been done shortly after the All Star break as IMO thats when these bad habits started.
I mean NHL players really aren’t bag skated often at all. Extremely rare for it to happen.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not taking a pop at you Andrew, but I don't understand the "isn't as good as it's record" this late in a season. I can see it early in a season, but the Bruins have a winning record against playoff bound teams; where they have generally struggled has been playing down to lesser teams. They are as good as their record, because that is the record over 70+ games. You don't get where they are with such a large sample size based on flukes, and fortuitous circumstances. It all pretty much evens out by now.
I think they are a good team but for me, I look at this team essentially being 42-31 team, still played much better than I anticipated and lot`s to be excited about with the start of young careers in Beecher, Lohrei, Poitras, money to spend this summer but as I mentioned, the proof will be in the puddin, love to be wrong, I think, in a 7 gamer vs say the Panthers, this team gets overwhelmed physically and gets waxed and worn down

Still so many warts, lack of real killer instinct, inability to hold leads in tight games, these are essential needs come playoff time, future behavior often dictated by past behavior

Reactions: Maine Fan

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
I get that the Canucks coach is gonna get the Jack Adams. Fine. I disagree, but fine.

But can we TALK about our coach?

To those of you who want him fired, honestly, I'd block every one of you if I could.

This guy is coaching a master class right now. With what he was handed for this season, one of the biggest rabbit out of a hat sports seasons I've seen. Let's end the series Monty. You're a gem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad