Management Jim Montgomery

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great Arny’s got beat throughout history by bad decisions from Generals and dictators

I like Monty but if you watch the first 11:57 of game 5 and on ESPN they do a great job of pointing out the perplexing Monty decisions

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I was a fan/supporter before he got hired.

He seemed to have a great effect on the team during the regular season, but his playoff was atrocious. I mean, as bad as it gets. And now I'm wondering how much of the regular season was him and how much of it was the players rallying around Bergeron's last season?

My confidence is completely shaken.

I wasn’t even really upset with him until after the loss when he blamed the goalie situation on Bob. To divert blame to him after a game 7 loss on national television like that is so incredibly low. Especially when he was taking credit for goalie situations when he “liked the look” in ullmarks eyes just a couple days prior. True character comes out in those types of moments and unfortunately we got a taste of it right there with montgomery.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Again pretty spot on
Yet the Bruins outshot Florida 47-25.

i don’t really give a shit dude. I watched those games 3 & 4 and specifically him since he’s my only Bruins on my SIM team and he played well.

Monty F’d up - you don’t think so. I do. In your world he didn’t fantastic in mine he did.

Way it goes

Frederic played well? Are we really out here trying to say the guy who had zero points and was healthy scratched, played well? He was probably the worst forward to step on the ice for the Bruins in the playoffs.

He looked the winger version of Jared tinordi out there.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I wasn’t even really upset with him until after the loss when he blamed the goalie situation on Bob. To divert blame to him after a game 7 loss on national television like that is so incredibly low. Especially when he was taking credit for goalie situations when he “liked the look” in ullmarks eyes just a couple days prior. True character comes out in those types of moments and unfortunately we got a taste of it right there with montgomery.

I was happy to see them go outside the organization and not hire one of the local names always tied to this team. I was all in on him until the playoffs, he was bad, seemed overmatched and just appears to be a yes man for the players.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Dude you reply to me 25 times and 25 times I’m wrong I suck I don’t know what I’m watching

I know longer care

I'm sure I never stated any such thing.

And for every 25 times I've questioned a part of your posts, I've probably "liked" another 100. But I guess you don't care about that either.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I think we see a different coach next year. Most of the vets are out. He takes over. He got caught with his pants down in the playoffs. I’m looking forward to see his growth after the disaster.
That's fair, he can 100% improve as a coach next year, unfortunately the team will be significantily weaker. This was the Bruins best chance to win the cup for probably a long time and he was a big part of the reason for their playoff choke, not sure I can ever forgive that.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
In the playoffs where coaching matters, he got exposed.

He lost them the series with his inexplicable refusal to start Swayman in G6 and even worse his refusal to yank Ullmark after goals 4 and 5 in G6.

He also lost them the series with is inane line juggling. I get there were injuries but from game 5 on when you had everyone back just roll the regular lines...Marchand-Bergeron-Debrusk, Czech Line and Hall-Coyle-Bert as L3

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Monty must go! Take your Adams and please leave thanks don the godfather.

I think we see a different coach next year. Most of the vets are out. He takes over. He got caught with his pants down in the playoffs. I’m looking forward to see his growth after the disaster.
Yea more different with more of a deer in the headlights look.

Reactions: Gordoff

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I was a fan/supporter before he got hired.

He seemed to have a great effect on the team during the regular season, but his playoff was atrocious. I mean, as bad as it gets. And now I'm wondering how much of the regular season was him and how much of it was the players rallying around Bergeron's last season?

My confidence is completely shaken.

One thing no one is really talking about is that the regular season was also fluky/lucky. The Bruins were excellent, but they also had an historic higher than expected goal differential.

I'm not sure it was Monty or "playing for Bergeron" so much as it was a good team having literally everything going right season.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
One thing no one is really talking about is that the regular season was also fluky/lucky. The Bruins were excellent, but they also had an historic higher than expected goal differential.

I'm not sure it was Monty or "playing for Bergeron" so much as it was a good team having literally everything going right season.
Was it actually historic? I remember the Rags being a legit bad team by the "x" stats in the 2022 season but rode Shortystilskin to a playoff berth and an ECF appearance. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

The Bruins had a remarkable season from Ullmark while Swayman went on his own long, extremely good run.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Was it actually historic? I remember the Rags being a legit bad team by the "x" stats in the 2022 season but rode Shortystilskin to a playoff berth and an ECF appearance. Maybe I'm just misremembering.

The Bruins had a remarkable season from Ullmark while Swayman went on his own long, extremely good run.

I don't know what the record is (and it's just one system's measure), but it's an insane number you don't see very often.

I mean by that measure the Rangers were second at +27.3. Colorado was third at +25.9. Columbus was last at -46.3.

Boston was first at +75.5!

Reactions: BlackFrancis

stevebeans

May 15, 2010
Alright, Vegas up 3-2 against the #2 seed who happens to have the best player in hockey right now - by far (+40 points over his next non teammate)

I would like to apologize to Bruce. I put a majority of the recent chokes on him and was happy he was fired. It wasn’t him. This roster just doesn’t have it. Maybe it’s lack of leadership? Maybe Bergy just makes a better alternate than captain? Maybe the stars just fade when it matters?

Marchand went from a +12 his SC season to a -6 +/- this year. Pasta scored 2 goals in the first 5 games. If not for the guy they picked up at the deadline, they probably wouldn’t have even made 7 games.

It’s hard to put a lot on Berg or Krejci since injured but let’s be real with them, they don’t exactly shine in the postseason either. They have moments no doubt but I still remember the ice cold krejci during the final two rounds of the last cup run. Dude disappeared.

Ugh I didn’t want to be one of those guys like a talk radio guest bitching about the players. They all play just about the same as they do in the regular season, but that’s the problem. It seems like they never have the fire to turn it up in the playoffs.

And if that was the same problem under Bruce. The coaching changed but players didn’t. Maybe the coaches just weren’t the problem.

Again if you’re still reading this, Jim had his blunders. Keeping Linus in for 6 goals is a Grady Little type of non-move they needed to make. But he certainly shouldn’t be the guy to take the bullet for the collapse. He was just one of the many papercuts that slowly killed the team when things mattered

And while Jim was part of the papercut crew, the $20m duo of Pasta and McAvoy were razor blades to the team.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
He looks and sounds pissed. Good.
He should be pissed.

I like the guy. I really do. He’s an offensive minded coach and for the first time in my life the Bruins didn’t lose because they couldn’t put the puck in the net. He’s a coach from OUTSIDE the organization, and not hamstrung by the ‘win 1-0’ Bruins mentality.

This year we get to see what he’s really made of.

Reactions: The don godfather

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
He should be pissed.

I like the guy. I really do. He’s an offensive minded coach and for the first time in my life the Bruins didn’t lose because they couldn’t put the puck in the net. He’s a coach from OUTSIDE the organization, and not hamstrung by the ‘win 1-0’ Bruins mentality.

This year we get to see what he’s really made of.
Yep. He's got his share of blame for some of the decisions made in that Florida series and I'm 100% certain he knows it and won't repeat it.

He also gave his players a bit too much leash and they ended up letting him down, Big Time. I think he knows that as well, and won't repeat it.

Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad