GDT: Jeu XXXV: Les Habitants @ L'Avalanche - Bad French Edition

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
That was a bit of sarcasm if you didn't notice...

I used to have a lot of respect for Burke but he's turning into Don Cherry 2.0 at this point. To call Landeskog a Swedish player who isn't really "Swedish" is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard him say and he's had some doozies over the years. Keep in mind this is the guy who took a bad Leafs team and somehow made it worse.
Chery is a legend , everything he says is spot on and Burke us an intelligent guy

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Yah it's not a very bright comment. In his defence, Landeskog lost his Swedish accent a long time ago and you probably wouldn't be able to even tell he's from Sweden at this point.

Using that as a reason to somehow say he's better because he isn't really "Swedish" is pretty stupid.

All it really shows is that Landy is great at learning languages lol nothing to do with hockey
Landy plays like a Canadian and talks Canadian is what they mean

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Tyson Jost (F) – Like his linemates above, this was a total mess. Jost would have at least had a shot attempt had he not completely whiffed on it. That was apropos for the kind of night this line had.

I've lost count on how many times he has whiffed on great scoring chances this season.

But he is only 20, right?

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
JTC still was visible tonight. Even when hes not scoring he does other things you notice. I cant say the same for Jost or Sven tonight. Both were bad. Jost especially was just terrible.

Compher can be a bottom six guy, Jost and Andrighetto are top six or bust.. and both are strongly heading towards bust.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It seems people have forgotten Mikko was a top 10 pick. Hes not some guy who was a 6th rounder coming in and showing up future Hall of Famers Matthews, McDavid, Laine, Eichel, Marner and Aho. The dude is a talent.
It's not that Mikko isn't talented, but Connor generates so much on a nightly basis that it honestly surprises me how he doesn't average 2 points per game every season.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Last season and this season combined, MacKinnon has a higher points per game than McDavid.

McDavid 157 points in 116 games. 1.35 points per game.

MacKinnon 152 points in 109 games. 1.39 points per game.

People act like there is such a gap between McDavid and the “next” level player, but MacKinnon has proved he is just as good over the course of 100+ games, and doing it in meaningful games as well.

Rantanen is actually 5th in scoring over the same time period. 142 points.

Reactions: The Merchant

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He gets better goal support for sure.

In his losses and no decisions, Varlamov allowed the following number of goals: 3, 2, 1, 2, 6, 3, 4, 3, 6, 5, 3, 3. In his losses, he cracked the .910 mark exactly twice against Tampa and Wild. Kind of hard to excuse him for lack of goal support in games he allowed at least 3 goals, and that has happened 12 times this season.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Varlamov is hot and cold... he has always been that sort of goalie and it is a part of why he has issues as a starter. Even when healthy, you don't know on a given night if you are getting a .930+ goalie or a sub .900 goalie and that makes it pretty hard to build a plan around. Yeah he can have it average out in the end to average or above average goaltending, but the inconsistency is tough. Grubauer hasn't been a shining beacon of light displaying that consistency, but we know Varly isn't at this point... I say give Gru a good stretch here to get his legs under him and see if he can bring in consistency to the position.

This team so badly needs a good 2nd line... Wins like last night are rough to see and can't be the expectation. One line provides all the scoring and a goalie stands on his head isn't a path to success.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Gruby needs to be given the reigns for a few games now to see what he can put together.

Really hope the Avs make a play for Hayes. Exactly what this team would need right now and having both him and Soda behind Mack for a couple years would be fantastic.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Last season and this season combined, MacKinnon has a higher points per game than McDavid.

McDavid 157 points in 116 games. 1.35 points per game.

MacKinnon 152 points in 109 games. 1.39 points per game.

People act like there is such a gap between McDavid and the “next” level player, but MacKinnon has proved he is just as good over the course of 100+ games, and doing it in meaningful games as well.

Rantanen is actually 5th in scoring over the same time period. 142 points.

You should take this to mainboards just so I can watch people rage.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Reading that Rantanen thread on the main board has me thinking just how crazy that top lines chemistry is.

For Landeskog and Rantanen, it is amazing they can do such a good job of always keeping up with MacKinnon. To MacK’s credit, he does a good job of bringing them into the play, but still. MacKinnon would be such a hard player to play with and they make it look so easy. He skates so fast, and passes the puck so hard always last second, and they’re always ready.

Rantanen has a “wheelhouse” that seems to be any puck within 3 feet of him, whether it is rolling or sits flat. MacKinnon just has to put the puck in his general area, and he gets a good shot off.

Landeskog has turned into Mr. Clutch and seems to score all these random goals when the line is struggling. He also takes a beating every game retrieving pucks for the other two, and crashing the net. I also think he doesn’t get enough credit for being the “3rd wheel” but there is no selfishness in his game, and that in itself is a special trait. Multimillion dollar egos and this guy can accept the role of “scrub” on the line. Everything is MacKinnon/Rantanen in the media, but it doesn’t change how Landeskog plays at all.

Lastly, MacKinnon is just so special. He is playing in the NHL like he did against kids in junior. He’s obviously the driver on that line and gets the most credit, and for good reason. He is a torpedo up the Center of the ice, and everyone can just jump in his wake.

We are just so lucky as Avs fans to see this coming together. For reference, Duchene was the big gift to Avs fans coming out of “Sakic’s era.” Mikko Rantanen is 12 points from matching Duchene’s career high, and the Avs haven’t even played game 36 yet.

Ridiculous.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
In his losses and no decisions, Varlamov allowed the following number of goals: 3, 2, 1, 2, 6, 3, 4, 3, 6, 5, 3, 3. In his losses, he cracked the .910 mark exactly twice against Tampa and Wild. Kind of hard to excuse him for lack of goal support in games he allowed at least 3 goals, and that has happened 12 times this season.

The league average is almost 3 goals and we score on average more than 3.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
You're telling me they would score that much if it isn't for him doing all the dirty work? He is absurdly underrated.
They would score less without Landeskog. However, Landeskog would score even less without them. He is not even close to a 90 point player but with those two he could get it. Like I said, Landy plays his role perfectly but he is clearly not on the same level.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
You can't go into a game expecting your team to score 4 goals in order to win. He allowed 3 or more goals in more than half the games he played.

And you also cant expect your goalie to let in 2 goals or less in order to win. 3 goals is only the league average. On the losses u listed, Varly has allowed 3 or less goals in 8 of them. Since we score more than league average, i would expect him to win some of those games.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Oh Captain my Captain.

Love the game winning goal by Gabe, say what you will, but he’s quietly having an amazing year! Top 3 in goals, top 12 in points, tied for first in plus minus and gets to the dirty areas which cannot be quantified.

To build off of that: he has played the most games out of anyone in his draft year, has the most goals out of his draft year, is second in points and leads the draft in penalty minutes. He’s had his ups and downs, but he really is turned into the captain we all hoped he would be.

Thank you Gabe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad