Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
About time a goalie stole a game.

Habs are better on ice than paper.

They have an ace coach who recognized right away what they can and can't do. They punch everything down the middle because they're so small and fast, they know they can't win board battles and what not. They also used a relentlessly aggressive forecheck.

I'll also give the Avs a LITTLE credit. They didn't yield a ton of ice up the middle, though they were ridiculously conservative in the neutral zone. But that happens when your team is playing with almost zero confidence.

If there's a callup please let it be Meloche. I just know it's gonna be frickin' Alt though.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I actually think Landeskog shouldn't be called the 3rd wheel. That guy is every bit as good and important as the other two. Without him playing his game the other two wouldn't score as much and they would bleed goals against.
Landy is such a complete player , 1 of the best wingers in the league.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No he is not. Landeskog is great and plays his role brilliantly but Mikko and Nate are elite.

That line didn't become a force until Landeskog was put on the LW. His play away from the puck is what makes that trio work. Not to mention he's been better at finishing than I ever gave him credit for. He's hitting the net with unerring accuracy and it's obvious he brought his deflection game to a whole new level.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
In his losses and no decisions, Varlamov allowed the following number of goals: 3, 2, 1, 2, 6, 3, 4, 3, 6, 5, 3, 3. In his losses, he cracked the .910 mark exactly twice against Tampa and Wild. Kind of hard to excuse him for lack of goal support in games he allowed at least 3 goals, and that has happened 12 times this season.

Grub has stilled had more 3+ goals against games than Varly as a percentage of starts. Not sure this Stat is much of a winning argument against Varly.

Love seeing Landy 3rd in goal scoring and 12th in points.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Grub has stilled had more 3+ goals against games than Varly as a percentage of starts. Not sure this Stat is much of a winning argument against Varly.

Love seeing Landy 3rd in goal scoring and 12th in points.

It isn't about a stat to put Gru above Varly, but showing Varly has issues with consistency that we all know about and have known about for years. As an Av, Gru hasn't shown the consistency needed... but given his contract and the trade, he needs to be given a shot to fail before stating that he has the same issue. Very, very possible he has the same if not worse issues... but that needs to be known first. Varly's struggles just give that opportunity.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
It isn't about a stat to put Gru above Varly, but showing Varly has issues with consistency that we all know about and have known about for years. As an Av, Gru hasn't shown the consistency needed... but given his contract and the trade, he needs to be given a shot to fail before stating that he has the same issue. Very, very possible he has the same if not worse issues... but that needs to be known first. Varly's struggles just give that opportunity.
Pretty much. You know what you have in Varlamov. We need to find out what we have in Grubauer.

Frobbo

Feb 21, 2008
A thought:
Since the Avs lack enough capable 2-4th line players I wonder if they could find some waiver wire, minor trade type players that would at least play physical up front to provide a different flavor to their opponents. Yes they probably wouldn't score but neither is what they have. It seems like the opposing forwards have a lot of "courage" when they play the Avs (Detroit and NYI games come to mind among others). The Avs try to play like those Cup winning Blackhawk teams without the talent. Maybe they need to be more physical up front like the Pitts/Caps teams. Those players are easier to find especially if it isn't at the expense to scoring. I would like them to have a "banger" line much like Detroit's old grind line.This probably represents too much changing horses in midstream but just a thought.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It's not that Mikko isn't talented, but Connor generates so much on a nightly basis that it honestly surprises me how he doesn't average 2 points per game every season.
If he had Milan Hejduk on his flank he would run away with the scoring title. Pool Party I guess was supposed to be that guy but he looks like a baby giraffe straight from the womb.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
They have an ace coach who recognized right away what they can and can't do. They punch everything down the middle because they're so small and fast, they know they can't win board battles and what not. They also used a relentlessly aggressive forecheck.

I'll also give the Avs a LITTLE credit. They didn't yield a ton of ice up the middle, though they were ridiculously conservative in the neutral zone. But that happens when your team is playing with almost zero confidence.

If there's a callup please let it be Meloche. I just know it's gonna be frickin' Alt though.
Do you think it's a good idea to call up a not-NHL ready prospect just for the sake of it, playing him 5-6 min/game and then send him back down frustrated because of the little icetime he got? I don't. Bring him up when he looks ready; but not a minute earlier.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do you think it's a good idea to call up a not-NHL ready prospect just for the sake of it, playing him 5-6 min/game and then send him back down frustrated because of the little icetime he got? I don't. Bring him up when he looks ready; but not a minute earlier.

This isn't a forward we're talking about. It's virtually impossible to play a defender 5 minutes. It's probably 10 minutes if you shelter the living hell out of him.

Are we really convinced he's not ready? I get he's been up and down, in and out of the lineup, but they all have. And from what I've understood he's been one of the more consistent defenders for the Eagles.

I am not at all down with the Detroit method of callups, where they basically have to be dominating the league in all facets before they get a nod from the parent club. Contrary to popular belief, grinding a prospect to bits in the American Hockey League isn't necessarily ideal either. There's nothing wrong with having a look-see and then going from there. Did they wait until they were ABSOLUTELY certain that Tyson Barrie was ready before giving him a good, long stint with the Avs? No. And I recall that Kevin Shattenkirk was actually playing quite poorly in the AHL before he was called up by the Avs and never went back.

I'm not saying it's a given, but I'd rather see the kid get a shot than a vet who hasn't even been cutting it at the AHL level this season.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
This isn't a forward we're talking about. It's virtually impossible to play a defender 5 minutes. It's probably 10 minutes if you shelter the living hell out of him.

Are we really convinced he's not ready? I get he's been up and down, in and out of the lineup, but they all have. And from what I've understood he's been one of the more consistent defenders for the Eagles.

I am not at all down with the Detroit method of callups, where they basically have to be dominating the league in all facets before they get a nod from the parent club. Contrary to popular belief, grinding a prospect to bits in the American Hockey League isn't necessarily ideal either. There's nothing wrong with having a look-see and then going from there. Did they wait until they were ABSOLUTELY certain that Tyson Barrie was ready before giving him a good, long stint with the Avs? No. And I recall that Kevin Shattenkirk was actually playing quite poorly in the AHL before he was called up by the Avs and never went back.

I'm not saying it's a given, but I'd rather see the kid get a shot than a vet who hasn't even been cutting it at the AHL level this season.
I don't think it would hurt , give him a game or two and see where he is at . Might be some injuries later in the season where we need to call him up. Let him get a feel for what the big show is all about.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Let me put it this way: If this team was willing to give extended looks to Andrei frickin' Mironov last season, who was uproariously bad the handful of games he played, then they should give one to Nicolas Meloche.

Not quite the same situation... IMO it was pretty much promised to Mironov and he would have bolted quicker if no shot was given. Meloche is still developing and carving out his game. I'm not opposed to a cup of coffee, but next year is really where his push for a chance can happen.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Incidentally anyone try the live thread thing yet? I can't really participate since my laptop appears to have taken the dirt nap recently.

I'm not a fan personally, and left the group. Not that its horrible, but it does not feel live really and just creates extremely long pages if you're not continuously active posting. When you post it seems to refresh the same and then breaks it into pages at that point. Maybe I'm just old school too, but if there is two or three pages to read since I've posted I'll usually do it, but more than that I skip. Unless someone directly quoted me obviously.

For me though I usually only post during intermission unless the game is a complete shit show not requiring my close attention.

Also I've tried the live chat thing with the expats from MHH on discord, and even had a live chat on my fantasy website/forum I ran. When I give up control of the pace that I see content it kind of gets away from me, and becomes difficult to post stuff longer than a sentence or keep up with a conversation. Live chats also a lot of times pull you down when someone posts which makes it difficult to read longer posts. I completely get the allure of it, but I don't actually think it's practical unless the group is very small.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokecheque

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
I can't wait until McDavid isn't considered the best bet for the Art Ross. Mack and Rants are doing a great job staying ahead of him.

The closest McDavid has come to the lead in the last while was 7 points back. Currently at 9 points.

McDavid would have to go on a truly epic run to pull it off. I don't think it's likely that Mack and Rantanen both hit huge slumps. Even when one guy isn't having a great game, odds are that the other one will, or Landy will get a goal.

McDavid winning the Art Ross isn't as likely as people think.
It's more that what MacKinnon & Rantanen are doing is not sustainable in any capacity whereas McDavid is just chugging along with a normal shooting percentage and on ice shooting percentage doing McDavid stuff.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It's more that what MacKinnon & Rantanen are doing is not sustainable in any capacity whereas McDavid is just chugging along with a normal shooting percentage and on ice shooting percentage doing McDavid stuff.
My post had nothing to do with that. If Rantanen and MacKinnon don't get injured or forget how to score, there will come a point in the season where it seems highly unlikely that McDavid can catch up. I'm hoping that happens.

bigbizze

Oct 9, 2017
My post had nothing to do with that. If Rantanen and MacKinnon don't get injured or forget how to score, there will come a point in the season where it seems highly unlikely that McDavid can catch up. I'm hoping that happens.

Yes and my point is responding directly to that by saying that McDavid has a good chance to pass them after they inevitably slow down and he continues playing in the sustainavly productive manner he has so far this year and in his career.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yes and my point is responding directly to that by saying that McDavid has a good chance to pass them after they inevitably slow down and he continues playing in the sustainavly productive manner he has so far this year and in his career.
MacKinnon is playing at an “unsustainable” pace for well over 100 games. Maybe it’s not a hot streak?

BTW, are you even an Avs fan?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

They've already slowed down. MacK is passing up shots, and we've lost a lot lately. Yet the points still come. Because rarely do all three of them have a bad game at the same time.

Landy has heated up here lately, and Mikko is just flying along like a B52 laughing at the turbulence.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
MacKinnon is playing at an “unsustainable” pace for well over 100 games. Maybe it’s not a hot streak?

BTW, are you even an Avs fan?

I'm pretty sure they're simply a fan of doing flybys on different boards about how MacKinnon (and now Rantanen) aren't as good as McDavid, Marner, and Matthews...

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Just look at the numbers dude.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I feel like after this season we're going to have to slightly redefine "sustainable", as well as what kind of numbers are acceptable for first/second/third line production.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad