Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
As always, Canucks fans has such high expectations for prospects, realistically he wasn't going to be more than Bottom pairing D. Maybe at best if everything goes well he can be a number 4 but highly unlikely

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I don't know what it is with the Canucks and players from the Dub. Even when the expend some second round draft picks on guys like Woo and Lind, they just seem to plateau. And they're still waiting on Virtanen, to some extent. Not saying that either guy won't make it, but clearly they're going to need a lot of time in the minors.

In fact I'm struggling to come up the name of a single guy other than Smyl and Neely (traded) who ever amounted to a hill of beans in a Canucks uniform. Better to stick with the USHL and Europe.

Garth Butcher?

Grabner (but not for the Canucks).

But you are right the Canucks track record with WHL players isn't very good but for years Ron Delorme has been their WHL scout and he just doesn't seem to have much success.

linden is the obvious one. nedved too.

there was a brief blip in the late 90s when we got sopel, peter schaefer, dave scatchard, tyson nash, chris mcallister, and rick girard all in a two year span. the last two weren't much but mcallister stuck around for a surprisingly long time and girard looked really promising at the wjc.

then the next year they threw away their first two picks on josh holden and zenith komarniski and everything was back to normal.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
linden is the obvious one. nedved too.

there was a brief blip in the late 90s when we got sopel, peter schaefer, dave scatchard, tyson nash, chris mcallister, and rick girard all in a two year span. the last two weren't much but mcallister stuck around for a surprisingly long time and girard looked really promising at the wjc.

then the next year they threw away their first two picks on josh holden and zenith komarniski and everything was back to normal.

FWIW, Holden was probably a player if he didn’t get his arm skated over or whatever it was exactly that happened.

Reactions: Zombotron

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
As always, Canucks fans has such high expectations for prospects, realistically he wasn't going to be more than Bottom pairing D. Maybe at best if everything goes well he can be a number 4 but highly unlikely

Posts like this are frustrating... Do you think someone said the same thing about Shea Weber who was drafted later? What about Bieksa? Or Edler? The point is there are countless defensemen drafted at all points of the draft who are much more than bottom pairing defensemen, id go as far as to say it is common.

If everything goes well he’s the next Shea Weber, I mean why not? My point is we are equally as guilty of labelling prospects as busts as we are as labelling them as stars. In both cases it’s not that black and white.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Posts like this are frustrating... Do you think someone said the same thing about Shea Weber who was drafted later? What about Bieksa? Or Edler? The point is there are countless defensemen drafted at all points of the draft who are much more than bottom pairing defensemen, id go as far as to say it is common.

If everything goes well he’s the next Shea Weber, I mean why not? My point is we are equally as guilty of labelling prospects as busts as we are as labelling them as stars. In both cases it’s not that black and white.

Your argument has a very slim chance of happening. If that is the case, then it's such a weak argument. To prove that it doesn't happen that much. Your examples are 15 to 20 years ago. If if has a high chance of happening you would be giving examples recently instead.

Yes but there are more D that don't turn into anything.

It's similar to some Canucks fans that think Virtanen can be the next Neely or Bertuzzi. Neely was 30 years ago and people are still bringing that up.

I can also be the richest man in the world because xyz became one the to riches man the world. Only small percentage can be at that level.

Last edited:

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
As usual, too much is being made of Woo not making the WJC team or not replicating his stats last year. He was never drafted for offense and it's only been about 30 games with a new team, coming off an injury and playing more of a defensive role. I don't think the stats can tell the picture with this kid until. There's frankly no reason to think Woo can't become a middle-pairing defensive d-man at this stage. That doesn't mean he can't be another Ashton Sautner either, just that we'd need to see him playing in the AHL to get a better read on where he is in terms of his development. When you look around at a lot of the good defensive d-men in the league, their trajectories were not often linear nor even that impressive between the ages of 19-21.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I don't know what it is with the Canucks and players from the Dub. Even when the expend some second round draft picks on guys like Woo and Lind, they just seem to plateau. And they're still waiting on Virtanen, to some extent. Not saying that either guy won't make it, but clearly they're going to need a lot of time in the minors.

In fact I'm struggling to come up the name of a single guy other than Smyl and Neely (traded) who ever amounted to a hill of beans in a Canucks uniform. Better to stick with the USHL and Europe.

Canucks have more control over the developement of players in the CHL than they do the All Svenskan / SHL or NCAA.

Lets presume for a second that the Canucks and Utica dont really do that well developing young players. Then it would follow that players develop better when not exposed to the Canucks system.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Canucks have more control over the developement of players in the CHL than they do the All Svenskan / SHL or NCAA.

Lets presume for a second that the Canucks and Utica dont really do that well developing young players. Then it would follow that players develop better when not exposed to the Canucks system.
Can you actually suggest any concrete way you believe the Canucks have negatively effected Woo's development at this point?

You haven't explained why you believe the Canucks have more influence or control over Woo's development than, say, Utunen's. I can imagine Woo and his family have slightly more regular interaction with the organization due to geographical proximity and the lack of a language barrier. Other than that, both players have attended the same prospect development and training camps for roughly the same periods of time. Their exposure to the Canucks' system is essentially identical.

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Maybe he can serve as a reminder that expectations for prospects should never be unrealistic high (his last year when some penciled him in as a #2 defenseman or so) or written off too soon (like right now).

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Your argument has a very slim chance of happening. If that is the case, then it's such a weak argument. To prove that it doesn't happen that much. Your examples are 15 to 20 years ago. If if has a high chance of happening you would be giving examples recently instead.

Yes but there are more D that don't turn into anything.

It's similar to some Canucks fans that think Virtanen can be the next Neely or Bertuzzi. Neely was 30 years ago and people are still bringing that up.

I can also be the richest man in the world because xyz became one the to riches man the world. Only small percentage can be at that level.

I don’t think he will be Weber, I really haven’t even tried to accurately project him. But, I’m not short sighted enough to label him a bottom pairing defenseman at such a young age. And that’s my point.

Reactions: wetcoast

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Woo is playing on the Sportsnet CHL game tonight. God, he's just a little guy isn't he. Watching what I have seen of him tonight I have a hard time imagining him playing in Utica next year. Seems small, slow.

Hope I'm wrong.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Woo is playing on the Sportsnet CHL game tonight. God, he's just a little guy isn't he. Watching what I have seen of him tonight I have a hard time imagining him playing in Utica next year. Seems small, slow.

Hope I'm wrong.
You were probably paying a lot more attention to the game than I was, since I just caught maybe around 1/3rd of the action. I thought he was really solid in what I saw of him. I thought his skating was pretty good but, you're right, a bit slow. Was great on the PP tonight though. Posted my impressions in the prospects thread and would crosspost them if I wasn't so lazy (and had more faith in my appraisal lol)

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought he had good game (outside of that prat fall in the third). Good on the PP - had head up all the time and making nice passes. Also like the way he consistently took people off the puck in his zone and turned play back the other way. Thought his skating was good and he did show a good turn of speed when needed

Maybe should dominate a little more at this level to be considered a real high end prospect but still looked like one of the better players in this game

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let's face it, he's a project. Canucks won't really know what they have until he's spent at least two years in Utica. But as other posters have pointed out, the Canucks track record at drafting d-men out of the Dub ranges from poor to downright awful.

Maybe Woo will break the mold. Listening to him on the post-game interviews, he seems like a grounded kid who puts the team first and will do whatever it takes to get better.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Let's face it, he's a project.

He's not a project. Woo is a former high 2nd round pick who was considered a potential first round pick. He was drafted as a defensive Dman with questionable offensive potential. He's obviously considered one of the better Dman in the WHL. Whether he develops into an NHL Dman is a question mark like any other late first round pick or 2nd round pick but he's not a project.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I doen't know if he's a project or not but he doesn't seem quick enough on his feet to survive in the AHL right now. Especially for a little guy:)

Let's hope he picks up a step over the summer ot it'll be the Taylor Ellington plan.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Isn't he 6 feet 200 pounds? Not huge but not little in this Nhl. Guess we will see next year in AHL. He has put up points when on first pp which suggests he has some skill which is needed even for defensive d man. Would Stecher or Tanev put up points in Chl as 19 year old's? His progession is as important as where he is now as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad