Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I surely hope that the Canucks make changes to their medical staff if they question their competence.

In reality, there are a lot of bad medical advice and misdiagnosis given. Unless time is of the essence, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion.

Relating more to Jett Woo, the medical staff they have in Vancouver should presumably be better than the medical staff they have in Utica. It's one of the arguments for having an AHL closer to the parent club.
More and more teams have them closer.

Edm and Cal have them in Bakersfield and Stockton which isn’t exactly next door. TB and FLA have theirs in Syracuse and Springfield MA. Vegas in Chicago but that’s likely due to not having enough prospects. See if they ultimately move it to Utah or somewhere closer in the next 5 years.

Vancouver has theirs the furthest away not to mention the time zone difference. Ideally I’d like to see them move it to California. It sure if having them in the Fraser valley works with the bchl and the giants.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
There's a story on Woo on The Athletic today. The usual paywall. This was the most newsy bit about Woo at the summer showcase:

Woo appeared in just one game in the tournament, picking up an assist and a -1 rating in Canada’s 8-3 loss to Finland. He was not made available for this story as he continues to recover from a knee injury that resulted in meniscus surgery this offseason.
So, there's the injury excuse if Woo didn't show very well at the tournament. (It's odd that his health was good enough to play a game but not to do an interview.)

I'm optimistic about Woo's recovery, but it seems clear his training this summer has been affected, and I'm not expecting him to blow people away when prospect camp opens in a month.

'He's a throwback': Canucks prospect Jett Woo plays like...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
For a kid who hasn't played a single game outside of junior hockey, he's had a lot of injuries. And in the pros, the going only gets tougher and more physical. Hope we're not seeing a trend here.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
For a kid who hasn't played a single game outside of junior hockey, he's had a lot of injuries. And in the pros, the going only gets tougher and more physical. Hope we're not seeing a trend here.

Well, he’s got to learn not to run around and to pick his spots, but he’d have to do that anyway in order to be an NHL caliber defenseman. In that way I see some Jovo in him.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Canucks should have been proactive this offseason and fired basically everyone. From Dim Jim and Daft John to the whole medical and training staff. Just pure trash to continue with these type of misdiagnosed injuries. Tanev been sent back on the ice twice with a broken leg, how many prospects? I hope Woo looks passed these things
How the hell can you blame Benning? Last time I checked he wasnt the team doctor. So the doctors give players a clean bill of health, but Jim should be expected to perform is own physical?

Last edited by a moderator:

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
There's a story on Woo on The Athletic today. The usual paywall. This was the most newsy bit about Woo at the summer showcase:

Woo appeared in just one game in the tournament, picking up an assist and a -1 rating in Canada’s 8-3 loss to Finland. He was not made available for this story as he continues to recover from a knee injury that resulted in meniscus surgery this offseason.
So, there's the injury excuse if Woo didn't show very well at the tournament. (It's odd that his health was good enough to play a game but not to do an interview.)

I'm optimistic about Woo's recovery, but it seems clear his training this summer has been affected, and I'm not expecting him to blow people away when prospect camp opens in a month.

'He's a throwback': Canucks prospect Jett Woo plays like...
Hab fans have annointed Brooke as the next PK. Given the fact Woo in his D+1 put up almost identical numbers to Brooks D+2 and is better physically and defensively, we should be stoked about Woo. Yet all I hear is hes injury prone, and Benning should have known this, what a bunch of crap.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Hab fans have annointed Brooke as the next PK. Given the fact Woo in his D+1 put up almost identical numbers to Brooks D+2 and is better physically and defensively, we should be stoked about Woo. Yet all I hear is hes injury prone, and Benning should have known this, what a bunch of crap.

Well considering he had 2 concussions in his draft year, and has had a meniscus surgery at the end of his D+1, yeah there is a bit of a question mark around health. There was an element of risk with picking him, but so far it's been a good risk and I'm hopeful for a dominant D+2 with Calgary.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm not sure what this community would consider an acceptable development path. Is it really Pettersson or bust? Woo is a great prospect. He's not Byram. He was picked in the second round. But everything points to an NHL trajectory. Whether it's as a second or third paring guy, time will tell. Injuries will happen. By definition, prospects have stuff to learn and for every prospect, it's a little different.
Woo is one year removed from his draft. His D+1 year was very good by all accounts. If he takes another step this coming season and makes an impact in Utica in the 20/21 season, he will be right on track.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'm definitely happy with Woo's D+1. he had the type of progression, stats wise, that you'd hope to see from a fairly high pick. Clearly I'm just stat watching though.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I'm not sure what this community would consider an acceptable development path. Is it really Pettersson or bust? Woo is a great prospect. He's not Byram. He was picked in the second round. But everything points to an NHL trajectory. Whether it's as a second or third paring guy, time will tell. Injuries will happen. By definition, prospects have stuff to learn and for every prospect, it's a little different.
Woo is one year removed from his draft. His D+1 year was very good by all accounts. If he takes another step this coming season and makes an impact in Utica in the 20/21 season, he will be right on track.

I agree. An acceptable development path would be at least a similar year to last season / no regression (with the understanding that he is coming off surgery) and then looking good in Utica and showing progression.

Let's hope Woo can stay healthy and continue to develop. The Canucks haven't had much luck in that department.

Reactions: timw33

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I know it's ridiculous, but one of my main reasons for hoping Woo becomes a legit NHL d-man is because I want to hear the Canucks DJ play "Song 2" by Blur every time Woo and Hughes combine for a goal.

I want this almost as much as I wanted Miroslav Satan to sign as a free agent with New Jersey.

Sad, but true.

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I know it's ridiculous, but one of my main reasons for hoping Woo becomes a legit NHL d-man is because I want to hear the Canucks DJ play "Song 2" by Blur every time Woo and Hughes combine for a goal.

I want this almost as much as I wanted Miroslav Satan to sign as a free agent with New Jersey.

Sad, but true.
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes it is indeed the little subtleties that can bring a good humour, contradiction or irony in life. Like Dumba having 55 as his number, Satan with Devils, haha love it. Never thought about the Woo Hoo thing, that's a good one too. :laugh:

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Couldn't agree more. Sometimes it is indeed the little subtleties that can bring a good humour, contradiction or irony in life. Like Dumba having 55 as his number, Satan with Devils, haha love it. Never thought about the Woo Hoo thing, that's a good one too. :laugh:

I once had to explain to a coworker why Dumba choosing #55 was actually funny lol

Still, nothing beats Jordan Tootoo choosing number 22.

Edit: still kinda wonder if the NHL forced Dumba to change it.

Last edited:

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
His D+1 season was even more impressive than I originally thought, since he played through an injury. He did great despite not being 100%. Very excited about this prospect.
Still I'm going to be cautious as hitting pro is going to be the real challenge, but so far so good.
I once had to explain to a coworker why Dumba choosing #55 was actually funny lol

Can you explain the Dumba-55 thing for me? I don't get it.

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
His D+1 season was even more impressive than I originally thought, since he played through an injury. He did great despite not being 100%. Very excited about this prospect.
Still I'm going to be cautious as hitting pro is going to be the real challenge, but so far so good.

Can you explain the Dumba-55 thing for me? I don't get it.
Dumba55 or Dumbass

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I thought the consensus was that Woo is tracking well and was a good pick but that he might be showing signs of being injury prone, which is a shame. I don't remember much criticism of this pick.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan

Don't forget about former Bruin Steve Heinz. He wore 57,

Heinz 57 Ketchup brand.

Reactions: MS and Javaman

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007

Sad, but true.

Panik in Detroit.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad