Prospect Info: Jett Woo, Pt. II

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
seems like he's in the dead zone that some defencemen seem to hit in their last years in the chl. coaches tend to work on developing younger players so sometimes it's deployment, and maybe there is also a bit of a let down as they are looking ahead.

last year moose jaw was 3.44 gpg. this year hitmen have 3.64 gpg

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
His top end is likely a bottom pairing dman if we're being honest and Canada is the best hockey country in the world. It is hardly surprising he wasn't invited especially given his limited offensive upside for an international tournament.

Last edited:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
His top end is likely a bottom pairing dman if we're being honest and Canada is the best hockey country in the world. It is hardly surprising he wasn't invited especially given his limited offensive upside for an international tournament.

Top end? I think his top end is likely a 2nd pairing Dman. Not like he's a poor skater with stone hands. He is considered one of the better defensive Dman in juniors. He can't dangle like Quinn Hughes but if his defensive prowess translates at the NHL level he could log effective minutes. He is well built, can play a physical game, and has a right handed shot.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
seems like he's in the dead zone that some defencemen seem to hit in their last years in the chl. coaches tend to work on developing younger players so sometimes it's deployment, and maybe there is also a bit of a let down as they are looking ahead.

last year moose jaw was 3.44 gpg. this year hitmen have 3.64 gpg

Last year he was on one the best PP in the WHL, and this season he's on the 2nd unit of an average PP (Zamula is Calgary's PPQB).

Moose Jaw (2018/19) - 27.5%
Calgary (2019/20) - 18.7%

His ppg was inflated last season due to PP points. If Calgary's PP improves, expect to see Woo's numbers increase a bit. It would take Zamula getting demoted/hurt + the PP improving for Woo to have a chance at ppg imo.

I've always projected him as a 2nd pair (likely #4D) who can give you 18-20 solid mins a game, while playing PK, and providing 20+pts in his prime (+ If he plays some 2nd PP mins).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
He strikes nme as someone who is likely to have Lind/Gadjovich like struggles in his rookie AHL campaign next year. I haven't watched him a lot but that's what I have seen.

That's probably a good guess. It's not an easy transition, especially for Dmen and Woo is probably used to being stronger than most WHL forwards. With that said, I think Lind's struggles last season was a bit unusual and Woo's game is probably a bit more polished.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Last year he was on one the best PP in the WHL, and this season he's on the 2nd unit of an average PP (Zamula is Calgary's PPQB).

His ppg was inflated last season due to PP points. If Calgary's PP improves, expect to see Woo's numbers increase a bit. It would take Zamula getting demoted/hurt + the PP improving for Woo to have a chance at ppg imo.

I've always projected him as a 2nd pair (likely #4D) who can give you 18-20 solid mins a game, while playing PK, and providing 20+pts in his prime (+ If he plays some 2nd PP mins).

Interesting, thanks. Do you know where we can get his ES stats? Also curious if he pks

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jack Rathbone, assuming he signs, will appear in his first NHL game long before Woo....the players the Canucks draft from the Dub just seem to take a lot longer.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Top end? I think his top end is likely a 2nd pairing Dman. Not like he's a poor skater with stone hands. He is considered one of the better defensive Dman in juniors....

Would be ecstatic if he can become a top 4 dman who you can bring out to shut the door, like Willie Mtchell.

(Had no idea he won 2 cups with the Kings. Good for him.)

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Interesting, thanks. Do you know where we can get his ES stats? Also curious if he pks

CHL website/app are great. Finding toi stats for the CHL can be a pain.

2019/20
ES - 2G, 5A, 7Pts
PP - 1G, 6A 7Pts (Zamula has 3G, 7A on the PP, just for reference)
SH - 0G, 0A, 0Pts
2018/2019
ES - 9G, 18A, 27Pts
PP - 3G, 33A, 36Pts
SH - 0G, 3A, 3Pts
55% of his points came on the PP last season, only at 50% (still high) this season.

Here's Josh Brooks 2018/19 scoring breakdown for reference.

ES - 8G, 30A 38Pts
PP - 8G 28A 36Pts
SH - 0G, 1A, 1Pt

As for penalty killing, yes he does PK.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Ain't nothing wrong with that (especially considering where he was drafted).

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know what it is with the Canucks and players from the Dub. Even when the expend some second round draft picks on guys like Woo and Lind, they just seem to plateau. And they're still waiting on Virtanen, to some extent. Not saying that either guy won't make it, but clearly they're going to need a lot of time in the minors.

In fact I'm struggling to come up the name of a single guy other than Smyl and Neely (traded) who ever amounted to a hill of beans in a Canucks uniform. Better to stick with the USHL and Europe.

Petr Nedved.

Our WHL scouting sucks. Last good one was Grabner. Pre-1996 was better: Schaefer, Sopel, Scatchard, Nedved. If you're going to talk about Smyl you also can't leave out Linden.

With that said, I think the problem is that the WHL is suppose to be in our backyard and should give us a comparative advantage and be able to identify players that other teams (who don't scout the WHL as heavily) overlook. In terms of drafting NHL players, I do think that the OHL, NCAA, and these days the USHL have been percentage wise better at developing players than the WHL.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't know what it is with the Canucks and players from the Dub. Even when the expend some second round draft picks on guys like Woo and Lind, they just seem to plateau. And they're still waiting on Virtanen, to some extent. Not saying that either guy won't make it, but clearly they're going to need a lot of time in the minors.

In fact I'm struggling to come up the name of a single guy other than Smyl and Neely (traded) who ever amounted to a hill of beans in a Canucks uniform. Better to stick with the USHL and Europe.

Garth Butcher?

Grabner (but not for the Canucks).

But you are right the Canucks track record with WHL players isn't very good but for years Ron Delorme has been their WHL scout and he just doesn't seem to have much success.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
At the game today
Woo is definitely the safety valve and steadying force on the Hitmen blueline.
He is playing a safe, and simple game. It's very effective though. He has a future for sure, a lot of his plays with smart skilled pros will work better
Thanks for the report ya Beardo, we dont always get these reports about some of the prospects so thanks bud

CanuckleBerry

Benning Survivor
Sep 27, 2017
New Westminster
At the game today
Woo is definitely the safety valve and steadying force on the Hitmen blueline.
He is playing a safe, and simple game. It's very effective though. He has a future for sure, a lot of his plays with smart skilled pros will work better

I plan to go in February when the Hitmen visit the Giants, just to get a closer look at Woo's play. If he can essentially just be a slightly bigger, slightly smarter, slightly meaner version of Troy Stecher, then I think we've got a solid prospect that can hold a bottom pairing role. With a name like Jet Woo, he just has to make this team, or I will feel cheated by history.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I plan to go in February when the Hitmen visit the Giants, just to get a closer look at Woo's play. If he can essentially just be a slightly bigger, slightly smarter, slightly meaner version of Troy Stecher, then I think we've got a solid prospect that can hold a bottom pairing role. With a name like Jet Woo, he just has to make this team, or I will feel cheated by history.

I like that comparison.

I suspect his development will look similar to Lind's in terms of taking a year to get used to the Pro game and then hopefully taking a big step in his 2nd Pro season.

I didn't follow Woo too closely last season, but it looked like Woo is definitely playing a conservative shut down role on the Hitmen which is part of why his points haven't been as impressive.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't know what it is, but every time the Canucks seem to draft a d-man from the Dub, they trend backwards almost from the time they're drafted.....read Taylor Ellington and Tate Olson.

Maybe the fact that the Hitmen are one of the better teams in the league, means that he's not getting the ice time or the pp time this season. All you can do is hope Woo isn't on an Oli Juolevi path, where the high-water mark of his career was his draft-year.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The article is a bit more nuanced than "oh my god he's a bust". Woo is definitely not showing the kind of progression you want to see but, just like it was far too early to pencil him into the lineup when his star was rising after a good year with Moose Jaw, it's far too early to give up on him as a prospect after 30 games with Calgary.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know what it is, but every time the Canucks seem to draft a d-man from the Dub, they trend backwards almost from the time they're drafted.....read Taylor Ellington and Tate Olson.

You are forgetting the great MacKenzie Stewart. Woo actually had a really good draft + 1 season. Tate Olson's post draft years actually wasn't bad. That 2007 was such as disaster. We could have easily had Perron, Subban, and Simmonds out of that draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad