Speculation: Jets upcoming cap crunch

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
We've played a quarter of the season and you're ready to dump your starting goaltender that was just signed to a long-term extension? I'm glad NHL GMs aren't that fickle.
I'm not saying to do it now. His play is more fickle than I am with trading haha. It's looking like two-thirds of the seasons he's starting are bad, so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
You're gonna get killed for this, but it's not a bad idea.

Laine is the best finisher in the league, but he's not a play driver. He'll make 8 digits and he's not worth that.

He would get an absolute god damn HAUL back in a trade.

Indeed, it would make the Jets roster significantly better. They would lose only in marketing prowess but I think most teams would value success over it.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
How do you prove a subjective opinion? Back that up would be a better response.
He never stated it as an opinion, he stated it is a fact. 'Nylander is better than Connor' is a statement, not an opinion. That's entirely where my issue with his statement is, if he wants to argue that Nylander is better, there's probably an argument to be made. To state it as a fact as if there is no debate requires significant proof.

Reactions: amethyst

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I will go on record saying Laine will come in cheaper than most expect.
Yeah, I expect him around 8.5 or 9. Could be even cheaper, depends on how much he likes where he's playing. And if he's offered a bonus of Fortnite V-bucks, that could help.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
In one week, I've read that Laine is better than Marner and Matthews. I've seen someone post that he is the best goal scorer of all time and get 20+ like on the post. I've seen him hit 4-5 mainboard front page threads all at once, all talking about his explosiveness and his goalscoring.

Then I come to this thread and see people saying he will get 8.5.

This place is all over the map.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
In one week, I've read that Laine is better than Marner and Matthews. I've seen someone post that he is the best goal scorer of all time and get 20+ like on the post. I've seen him hit 4-5 mainboard front page threads all at once, all talking about his explosiveness and his goalscoring.

just maybe it's not the same people saying both? ive seen people post Matthews>=McDavid, Marner>=Kane, but there are posts in this forum expecting them to be paid less

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Why does every thread on the mainboard somehow involve the leafs...

Because this board is stuck in a reactionary cycle? Leaf fans have spent the last two weeks hearing Nylander is going to sit, traded for pennies on the dollar and as soon as he signs it's all about the cap crunch and will anyone offersheet Matthews and Marner.

A non Leaf fan started the the thread but of course that didn't stop Leaf fans from getting in their shots in retaliation. I seriously doubt at this point there is a way to break the cycle.

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011

Sounds like you’ve seen a lot

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Trouba will not be resigned. Laine and Connor will be signed only. The Jets are just fine.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
HF: The Jets are in a lot of trouble and won't be able to keep their talent

Slayer: Makes it work

HF:
2o4ou3.jpg

Oh come on. Laine for 9.5 is a MASSIVE discount. His goal scoring rate on his ELC is basically unheard of. He has been compared to Matthews his entire career and Matthews is supposed to be getting 14 or 15M according to many on here, which means Laine as a floor is looking at 12-13.

Connor is getting more than 7. Nylander got a hair under 7 and signed a year earlier (so cap inflation) plus it was heavily front loaded.

No consider Connor has better scoring rates than Nylander and 7.5 is a good deal for him.

That's just the start

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
9 million is more likely than 11 for Laine.
Term will be a factor too.

Don’t forget, Nylander got 6.9 over only 6 years. That only covers a couple UFA years.

If the Jets wants an 8 year deal with Laine it will almost certainly come in over 10.5M

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
The fact that their are threads like this for three good teams full of young stars has me feeling pretty gloomy about the prospects of avoiding a lockout in 2020.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

It's almost as if different people have different opinions! :rolleyes:

Jetster231

Mar 6, 2018
Connor 7.5 million? That seems high

Dude is legit, 30 goal scorer, probably gonna be closer to 40 this season. Honestly this guy is more valuable than Laine. He has a motor and hustles every shift. If I am Jets brass I put Connor ahead of Laine.

Reactions: TS Quint

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Don't think they re-sign Myers. He's pretty bad and not even worth 5.5 now. Trouba I imagine they'll trade for another RFA dman with upside but less proven. Little chance Connor commands that much either unless he's getting max term and even then probably not. Tanev and some of those RFAs should be getting short term value contracts.

No idea what Laine's contract will look like. Anything from 8-11 million AAV could be possible but if(when) he hits 50 goals it's definitely going to be over 9. I like Bryan Little but I'd be trying to move on from that contract earlier rather than later.

Connor will have the Nylander contract as the most recent comparable, however it looks like his numbers will definitely be better than Nylander's.
He will have scored more goals, 31 to 20, and about the same point pace in his second ELC than Nylander and is currently on almost a point per game pace for his third ELC year but you think that there is "little chance" he will command $7.5 million/year which would only be a slight increase on Nylander's deal?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
If Laine wins the Rocket this year there is no way hes only getting 9.5 . But i really hope he gets 9.5, means Marner can't make more than that :)
Laine is heading for the Cy Young for sure. The Rocket would be nice to see him add to his collection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad