Speculation: Jets upcoming cap crunch

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
All I see on here is how the Leafs are going to have cap issues with Nylander signed but I almost never see anything about the Jets who have $23million in cap space next summer with Laine, Trouba, Connor, Myers all needing new contracts.

I can see $22m+ just to sign Laine, Connor, Trouba

9.5m for Laine
7.5m for Connor
7m for Trouba

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
They could trade Laine for good value and get a more well-versed top6 F capable of 60+ points and a top6 defenseman + prospect. Problem solved and the team gets better

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
All I see on here is how the Leafs are going to have cap issues with Nylander signed but I almost never see anything about the Jets who have $23million in cap space next summer with Laine, Trouba, Connor, Myers all needing new contracts.

9.5m for Laine
7.5m for Connor
7m for Trouba

Watch that number be closer to 10.25m

Which is not fair, but young players are out of hand with contracts

Reactions: irunthepeg

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
What's the story with Winnipeg's cap moving forward?

According to capgeek, they have:

56.3 million signed
23.1 million in space

Unsigned:

Brandon Tanev (U)
Andrew Copp
Patrik Laine
Kyle Connor
Nicolas Petan
Brendan Lemieux
Mason Appleton
Jacob Trouba
Tyler Myers (U)
Ben Chariot (U)
Nelson Nogier
Cameron Schilling (U)
Laurent Brossoit

How will this play out?

Right away I see three big contracts, with estimates around:

Patrik Laine - 10 million
Kyle Connor - 7.5 million
Jacob Trouba - 7 million

That leaves around -1.4 million if the cap stays the same. However, we've heard projections around 83 million, which would give them 2.1 million to sign the other 10 players.

I might have the numbers wrong, so please educate me.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

9.5m for Laine
7.5m for Connor
7m for Trouba

If that's really "all you see", then it's probably all you're looking for. :laugh:

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Connor, Laine and Morrissey will all get raises, but they'll be on the team for a long time. Myers or Trouba is gone. Perreault and Kulikov could be offloaded to help. The Jets are bringing up some ELC players who can replace what is lost on defense. With a good core for top-6, good drafting and good prospect development for the bottom 6, I'm not concerned at all.

Reactions: Snowman

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Perreault should be the forward they move out for cap, unless they need to make a move for D-man, Vesalainen replaces Perreault in the bottom6.

If Trouba signs Myers is gone, if Trouba goes Myers could stay.

There.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't think they re-sign Myers. He's pretty bad and not even worth 5.5 now. Trouba I imagine they'll trade for another RFA dman with upside but less proven. Little chance Connor commands that much either unless he's getting max term and even then probably not. Tanev and some of those RFAs should be getting short term value contracts.

No idea what Laine's contract will look like. Anything from 8-11 million AAV could be possible but if(when) he hits 50 goals it's definitely going to be over 9. I like Bryan Little but I'd be trying to move on from that contract earlier rather than later.

Reactions: north49er

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bridge Connor, trade Trouba for a cheaper, lesser player....using as an example from my team...Sanheim.

They will be fine.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Bridge Connor, trade Trouba for a cheaper, lesser player....using as an example from my team...Sanheim.

They will be fine.

Bridging Connor and trading Trouba for a cheaper, lesser player isn't really ideal though. Losing Trouba definitely makes them worse.

Connor 7.5 million? That seems high

7 might be more realistic, but I don't see him signing for much lower. If he gets 8 years, I think 7.5 will be pretty close.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
trouba and myers are gone. buff and Morrissey and all the forwards more important to keep. if you add in Perreault that is around 15 million in space more then enough for connor and laine everyone else is not getting much of a raise. could buy out Kulikov if need be for 4 million more in cap space

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Don't re-sign Myers, he's not worth anything, trade Perreault. Figure out if you can re-sign Trouba, if not trade him. Sign Connor and Laine and the rest are either minimum contracts or easily replaceable players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad