Speculation: Jets upcoming cap crunch

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
View attachment 161303 View attachment 161305 Cap bumps to 82.5M.

Trade Perreault to the Habs for a nothing prospect.
Trade Kulikov and a 2nd to Detroit for a 7th.

Sign Laine $9.5M x 8 years
Connor $7.5M x7 years
Trouba $7.5M x 5 years
Chiarot $1.5M x 2 years
Myers $3M x 3 years
Copp $1.75M x 3 years
Tanev $1.25M x 1 year
Brossoit $900k x 1 year

Montreal doesn’t want Perreault, even for a nothing prospect

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why do people look at committed dollars and figure the remaining cap is all they will have to re-sign players in future. Rosters are not static and they can move people out to free up cap. Its such a lazy exercise to say well they have 56 on books and 23 in space so they’re screwed. Thats not how things work.

That's all they will have. :rolleyes:. You know they can't make trades to move out money. That's INSANITY!

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Key is not to sign bottom 6 players ie Brandon Tanev to long term contracts and have ELCs replace his skillset and position. Same goes for Myers who can be replaced by Poolman. They'll need to move Kulikov and Perreault.... Trouba is also the wildcard if he is willing to re-sign and what he brings back in a trade.

Jets fans talk about cap issues and many other things all the time, we just do it on our own board instead of the main one...
QFT

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Unless Brossoit collapse, I don't see a way he's making only 900K, there are too many goalie starved teams for none of them to trade or force a trade via offer sheet.

I agree. If that's the case then we have Comrie instead at 650K. He has to go through waivers for the first time next year and has been the long term plan for our backup tender for a while. He didn't show well last year but it's why Brossoit was only brought in on a one year deal. Comrie has looked really strong this season for the Moose.

Ultimately the Jets have a cap crunch coming but will be able to deal with it keeping our top 9 forwards, top 4 D and starting goalie so it isn't that big of a deal.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I agree. If that's the case then we have Comrie instead at 650K. He has to go through waivers for the first time next year and has been the long term plan for our backup tender for a while. He didn't show well last year but it's why Brossoit was only brought in on a one year deal. Comrie has looked really strong this season for the Moose.

Ultimately the Jets have a cap crunch coming but will be able to deal with it keeping our top 9 forwards, top 4 D and starting goalie so it isn't that big of a deal.
Also, if the Jets really believes in Brossoit and Comrie, they can deal Helle and relieved a lot of cap that way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Connor, Laine and Morrissey will all get raises, but they'll be on the team for a long time. Myers or Trouba is gone. Perreault and Kulikov could be offloaded to help. The Jets are bringing up some ELC players who can replace what is lost on defense. With a good core for top-6, good drafting and good prospect development for the bottom 6, I'm not concerned at all.

That's certainly the HF Boards crutch (we have guys in the system who can automatically replace established veterans).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Also, if the Jets really believes in Brossoit and Comrie, they can deal Helle and relieved a lot of cap that way.

....so the Jets are going to trade their #1 goaltender who they just signed to a long-term deal and was a Vezina finalist last year to run with that tandem? Also, how easy do you think it is to offload those kinds of contracts?

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
....so the Jets are going to trade their #1 goaltender who they just signed to a long-term deal and was a Vezina finalist last year to run with that tandem? Also, how easy do you think it is to offload those kinds of contracts?
Don't shield Hellebuyck, Wheeler and Little when Seattle expansion draft arrives.

DCarriere

Mar 15, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Bridge Connor, trade Trouba for a cheaper, lesser player....using as an example from my team...Sanheim.

They will be fine.

Bridging Connor would be a terrible, terrible mistake. If I'm the Jets, I try to get him to sign an Ehlers/Scheifele type deal. That's their best option.

Reactions: klabob

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
There are multiple teams that would line up for a decent goalie, sure he's had one and a half good year and he's not playing great this season so there is uncertainty there. But it can be moved.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Bridging Connor would be a terrible, terrible mistake. If I'm the Jets, I try to get him to sign an Ehlers/Scheifele type deal. That's their best option.
A long-term deal is definitely the best option, but Connor is arguably better than Ehlers was when he signed that deal. With the regular contract inflation that we see, I think that people are correct in their projections that Connor will get something like $7M - $7.5M AAV over 7 or 8 years. Scheifele took a team friendly deal/signed before he got super good, so you can't really use him as a comparable.

If for whatever reason the Jet's cant afford to lock up Connor long term (can't move Kulikov's contract), they will probably bridge him as a last resort.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
HF: The Jets are in a lot of trouble and won't be able to keep their talent

Slayer: Makes it work

HF:
2o4ou3.jpg

In fairness that was @Whileee who put in the effort... I'm much too lazy for that.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
This is the point I'm making.

The Jets have a Ferrari roster. Laine is a hell of a paint job but he sure isn't the engine.

And I think $10M is a low estimate for him. He's going to get paid like a generational player. He's not.

Your logic doesn't make any sense. Laine doesn't drive play. Isn't worth $10mm but that's what he's gonna get paid at the minimum. Why? You have some insight NHL GM's don't?

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
If Laine scores 50+ this year he's gonna demand 13 million per. Brace yourselves Jets fans. It's gonna hurt or get ugly real fast.

He can demand anything he wants. No team in the league is gonna offer him that much. And if a team does offer him $13mm the Jets would gladly take their 5 first round picks since they'll be finishing in the lottery for all those years.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There are multiple teams that would line up for a decent goalie, sure he's had one and a half good year and he's not playing great this season so there is uncertainty there. But it can be moved.

We've played a quarter of the season and you're ready to dump your starting goaltender that was just signed to a long-term extension? I'm glad NHL GMs aren't that fickle.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad