Post-Game Talk: Jets survive the Hurricanes.. Win 3-1

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well watching that group flounder last night I would have taken last years Enstrom in a heart beat to help stabilize Myers. I know many were done with Toby but be careful what you wish for sometimes.
I think it is time to give Niku his opportunity. I'm usually not to critical of players but Chiarot is just not good. In fact he is bad. Very bad. Not quite Stu bad, but still bad.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it is time to give Niku his opportunity. I'm usually not to critical of players but Chiarot is just not good. In fact he is bad. Very bad. Not quite Stu bad, but still bad.

Yeah the lack of puck movement from our backend has really been highlighted at times this year and especially last night. I would agree that Niku should be up sooner than later so that we have another puck mover.

We need someone on the third pairing who can move the puck. The bad news is that Myers isn't that great of a partner for him.

Reactions: PhilJets

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Croissant :D :D. Awesome nickname to what seems to be a not too shabby goalie.

Go ELL and Little woohoo!

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
after yesterday's performance, I'm thinking we should start Broissant 60 games and give Helle the rest.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Still don’t get how the Jets let the Canes outshoot them at home 2-1 and this after coming off a game the night before, too many Jets players going through the motions still!

Goaltending the only thing looking good on the Jets this season!

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Yeah the lack of puck movement from our backend has really been highlighted at times this year and especially last night. I would agree that Niku should be up sooner than later so that we have another puck mover.

We need someone on the third pairing who can move the puck. The bad news is that Myers isn't that great of a partner for him.
I always have preach a phil housley type dman. That is hard to find though.

Niku is as close to offensive dman we have now except for Buff.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Still don’t get how the Jets let the Canes outshoot them at home 2-1 and this after coming off a game the night before, too many Jets players going through the motions still!

Goaltending the only thing looking good on the Jets this season!
hi Sip,
I noticed that you used two exclamation points. Does this mean you're upset or excited?

regardless....guess you didn't see the quality of some of the Winnipeg shot attempts?
shots on net don't matter unless the context of shot quality is used.

thank you and have a good day.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Win is a win. It was ugly but it counts.

We really need to do something about the defense, it is clearly a weakness right now. An injury to Trouba/Morrissey/Buff and we are bottom of the league calibre defense, how did we let Toby go to keep some of these guys. Lets give Niku a shot sooner rather than later, he can't be worse than Chiarot/Kuli/Morrow have been.

Great game from Brossoit, best game I've seen ELL play this year, Morrissey is going to be a #1 defensemen sooner rather than later.

Canes are a fun team to watch, good things going on over there, which is surprising considering it's a Don Waddell led organization lol.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
hi Sip,
I noticed that you used two exclamation points. Does this mean you're upset or excited?

regardless....guess you didn't see the quality of some of the Winnipeg shot attempts?
shots on net don't matter unless the context of shot quality is used.

thank you and have a good day.

PO’d with the Jets overall this season, without the superb goaltending the Jets could very well be 0-5 this season, be honest who doesn’t agree!

Watching the young Canes who seem to want it vs. the don’t give a *#@t Jets was sad.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
PO’d with the Jets overall this season, without the superb goaltending the Jets could very well be 0-5 this season, be honest who doesn’t agree!

Watching the young Canes who seem to want it vs. the don’t give a *#@t Jets was sad.
almost 80 games remaining in the season.
go look at the West's standings, pour yourself a morning bourbon and relax.
no panic button required just yet

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Niku in for Chiarot? I don't see how he could be worse, and at least he'll be improving quickly.

Enstrom is missed. Making quick passes to clear our zone is something we have been struggling with. Could be part of why the lines look disjointed at times.

That said, I really, really don't like Ehlers and Laine together. Little played really well, but these two don't seem to mesh at all.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
WOW we so didn't deserve that win (BroSwat excepted).
Well, Carolina wouldn't have deserved the win if it went the other way. When you look at our schedule, we have not had an easy start. St.Louis, Dallas, Los Angeles, Nashville and Carolina may all be playoff teams this year (okay, perhaps not LA, but they'll be near the top of the non-playoff teams). Carolina was one of the hottest teams in the league coming into Winnipeg. Meanwhile, we got destroyed by penalties and poor reffing in Nashville.

Given some obvious early season rust on defense and scoring, I'd say that I'm pretty satisfied with our 3-2 record so far.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
That said, I really, really don't like Ehlers and Laine together. Little played really well, but these two don't seem to mesh at all.
Agreed. You can't have two snipers on the same line. Not complimentary. Unless Ehlers wants to reestablish himself as a pure set-up guy, and I can't see that happening.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I don't really agree, I think the shot totals against St. Louis didn't reflect the chances and they barely have LA a sniff. The Preds game was a penalty shit show, they sucked against Dallas and last night was a bit uneven.

The funny part is almost everybody said the exact same things at the beginning of last season. Turned out ok..

Reactions: Jets 31

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Quick thoughts (8.5)...

CSW - Once again they had some brilliant shifts, but they also had some brutal shifts in their own zone. Wheeler doesn't figure out where to position himself, so he's always too high or too low along the right side. Scheifele cheats with his positioning and puck battles looking for a break, and Connor isn't strong along the boards. Also, Maurice plays them into the ice. I was flabbergasted that he played them on back to back shifts 5v6 late in the game. He has the Lowry line ready to roll but goes with Scheifele and company, maybe because they like the EN points.

ELL - They had a good game, mostly because Little was outstanding. He had lots of jump and was solid in all three zones. Ehlers was good in spurts. He's still snakebitten. Laine's hands still are shaky. Maybe he should work more on hockey skills in the offseason like a lot of other players do. I think he'll come around soon, but I never saw him fumble as many pucks or passes or mistime shots in previous seasons as much as he has so far this season.

CLT - Another really solid game. Lowry is a beast. Tanev is actually showing much improved puck skills.

VRP - I thought they had some good shifts early, then Maurice abandoned them I guess so he could make his top lines as tired as his opponents, who played last night.

44-8 The only pair that looked NHL caliber. Morrissey was great. Trouba had some miscues early, but got better as the game wore on, and was very proficient at shutting off the slot area.

70-57 They really struggled with the pace. Myers just doesn't move the puck as quickly as he needs to. Morrow had some brain cramps, and isn't suited to a ponderous D partner like Myers.

7-5 Yikes! I had visions of Stuart-Harrison watching this pair at times. The Jets need to get a puck moving D to replace Chiarot. I'd move Niku into that role soon and try to get him ready for later in the season and playoffs. What have they got to lose?

Brossoit was outstanding. He reminded me stylistically of Hellebuyck. He should fit the Jets' style well. Most encouraging development so far this season.

Just want to say I always enjoy reading your post-game analyses. You catch a lot of stuff that I miss. :thumbu:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Looking like the start of the 17/18 season where we get shelled and survive on goaltending. Hopefully they turn the same corner.

Could really use some Niku on the backend moving pucks up.

Reactions: Jack722

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad