Post-Game Talk: Jets survive the Hurricanes.. Win 3-1

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
VEvmUVd.gif

Discuss
man all I can think about when I see Connor with out his helmet is... "heeey SPicoli!"

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
i have high hopes for the kid but time to send ves to the moose for a top 6 role to develope and find his NA game hes not going to do that playing 4 minutes a night. Lemuiex has earned his due to slot in for him as long as he doesnt get any stupid penalties.

Reactions: Tommigun

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Jet's outshot something like 45- 25, so we were "lucky" to win. Sometimes you have to be good to be lucky, and other times, you have to be lucky to be good. In tonight's game the latter of the 2 applies to this game.

The Jets really have to get their act together, and not hope the Goaltender saves them.

Reactions: JetsFan815

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
Ugly game. Myers/kulikov/charoit were train wrecks, my god they were bad.
We had lots of really bad breakouts, passes etc. Bratwurst held us in the game as everyone already knows.
Jerseys looked like absolute garbage. There are not many in the stands and our friend that works at the jet store said they are not selling anywhere close to what they had hoped... around 1/3 of projected sales. Lol well no kidding, they are awful looking.

We really need to get our acts together, they are pretty frustrating to watch right now. These guys need to wake up.

Reactions: Board Bard

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Brossoit vs boys! Dude looked like prime Carry Price. He's confident and poised in the net just like Helly.

Morrisey is our best dman. the end

Myers was pretty good tonight. Lowry was his usual monster self. Lits and Fly looked good but Laine did not. Nor did Copp. CSW was good but not dominant as of yet. Other than that one glaring Kuli pizza, I thought he was fine for his first game.

Not sure why KV is being played other than the European narrative which makes no sense to me.

I'm starting to worry about MP...he looks slower.

We won vs a hot young team while not being as hot as we can be. That means we're good.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
One thing to watch out for tomorrow is if Morrissey is skating. He blocked a shot in the last minute, was in pain and seem to be favoring one of his hands. Hope he's okay. If he is hurt and Buff is hurt, we are doomed.

Reactions: Jets 31

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Chiarot had a CF% of 4.17.
4.17%.
The Jets had one shot attempt with him on the ice and I remember it. Roslovic hit Chiarot with a sweet give and go in the 1st and Chiarot missed the net.
yeah but he did a couple good things...don't expect lyle odelein type play

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts (8.5)...

CSW - Once again they had some brilliant shifts, but they also had some brutal shifts in their own zone. Wheeler doesn't figure out where to position himself, so he's always too high or too low along the right side. Scheifele cheats with his positioning and puck battles looking for a break, and Connor isn't strong along the boards. Also, Maurice plays them into the ice. I was flabbergasted that he played them on back to back shifts 5v6 late in the game. He has the Lowry line ready to roll but goes with Scheifele and company, maybe because they like the EN points.

ELL - They had a good game, mostly because Little was outstanding. He had lots of jump and was solid in all three zones. Ehlers was good in spurts. He's still snakebitten. Laine's hands still are shaky. Maybe he should work more on hockey skills in the offseason like a lot of other players do. I think he'll come around soon, but I never saw him fumble as many pucks or passes or mistime shots in previous seasons as much as he has so far this season.

CLT - Another really solid game. Lowry is a beast. Tanev is actually showing much improved puck skills.

VRP - I thought they had some good shifts early, then Maurice abandoned them I guess so he could make his top lines as tired as his opponents, who played last night.

44-8 The only pair that looked NHL caliber. Morrissey was great. Trouba had some miscues early, but got better as the game wore on, and was very proficient at shutting off the slot area.

70-57 They really struggled with the pace. Myers just doesn't move the puck as quickly as he needs to. Morrow had some brain cramps, and isn't suited to a ponderous D partner like Myers.

7-5 Yikes! I had visions of Stuart-Harrison watching this pair at times. The Jets need to get a puck moving D to replace Chiarot. I'd move Niku into that role soon and try to get him ready for later in the season and playoffs. What have they got to lose?

Brossoit was outstanding. He reminded me stylistically of Hellebuyck. He should fit the Jets' style well. Most encouraging development so far this season.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I was flabbergasted that he played them on back to back shifts 5v6 late in the game. He has the Lowry line ready to roll but goes with Scheifele and company

Yep, I shook my head when I saw that, though I shouldn't have been the least bit surprised. Symptomatic of Maurice's whole idiotic approach to coaching.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Lits and Fly looked good but Laine did not.

Serious with this? I though Laine was about the best forward for the Jets today, not counting the goal, making couple of plays you expect your line mates to score and making no stupid things on ice. True that they don't have good play together with all three on ELL, but at least they got some L+L action, and E+La action going on periodically. And as always they were calm and working on d-zone, Morrow being unlucky to make full screen on Brossoit doesn't count.

Ehlers had his moments, but I think he was 2/3 of the game totally invisible in a bad way. I'm serious that he is really down mentally just now. So bad he didn't get his goal out of those two really good scoring chances he had in the game, because a goal would make all the difference. That he missed the empty corner might just hurt him even more. Little had a good first and third periods.

I agree with your other points, though I don't think Copp was bad enough to be picked too. Again smart pretty invisible little things he is doing, and was super close to score a game winning goal. Not sure if someone got a stick on that puck, didn't watch a replay.

CSW was a bit of a defensive nightmare, as they are used to be, also taking two completely unnecessary penalties. Nevertheless CSW is still the only offensive line for the Jets to regularly have three pass chains on the o-zone. For example even ELL might had better possession numbers tonight (not checked), I don't think they had even once eg. Little passing for Ehlers passing for Laine or the other way around. It was just one pass and then a shooting opportunity, and those are much easier for goaltenders. It took some 3 seconds to Scheif & Connor to be on ice with Laine when Connor found Laine with a very good pass. Something that's not usually happening on ELL.

Morrow was unlucky to screen the goalie once, but other than that I liked many of his decisions. It also looked from one angle that he did hit the post after that 2-on-0 by Ehlers & Laine, but maybe that was just goalie making a save.

Trouba had a lot of trouble with pucks bouncing his stick in the first period. Maybe he was just very unfortunate.

Carolina seems to be a pretty good team and playing really different game than the Jets. Not much board play going on, but they try to win space on center of the ice with speed and puck movement. Looking at that huge amount of shots, they did pretty well on that. They had also high number of huge scoring opportunities, but then again the Jets got some of the best chances.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad