Post-Game Talk: Jets survive the Hurricanes.. Win 3-1

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
He and Brossoit were our best players. So happy for them. The joy on Little’s face when he scored was priceless.
Was at the game & don't see all the gushing over Little. Yes, he was better & great goal, but that line has got to improve a ton. Laine & Ehlers skating around trying to find open space & leaving little Little do all the digging. Totally ineffective.

Best players without a doubt were Broissy & Morrissey - where would we be with him!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Agree. I think Niku would settle in fine with Buff, and within 20-30 games would become an asset. I think Chiarot needs to go into a "depth" role and Kulikov needs to play LD. The problem right now is also lack of roster space. I doubt the Jets want to try to waive Chiarot or Morrow, so with two extra forwards they don't have roster space for Niku.

I agree....... when it happens with Sami it will probably be due to a key injury, the Jets have usually had to go 8 or 9 deep at some point in the season. As long has he is eating big minutes for the Moose, improving, AND THE JETS ARE IN A PLAYOFF RACE, I can bide my time.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
What did you guy's think of Andrei Svechnikov last night? 2nd OA pick in this past draft

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I always have preach a phil housley type dman. That is hard to find though.

Niku is as close to offensive dman we have now except for Buff.
High time to get Niku up here. And while we're at it, Poolman has got to be a lot better than anything Charoit or Kuli can offer. Put those two on waivers & nobody touches them with a ten foot pole.

I'd love to see a stay home guy like POolman paired with Buff, and Niku with Morrow I guess.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Just looked at the icetime distributions and I am absolutely incensed that Perreault only played 8 mins total and only ~7 mins at 5 on 5. Perreault is one of the best 5 on 5 players on the Jets and the coach needs to find a way to get him some more ice. He is being absolutely wasted with such few minutes.

If Maurice doesn't trust the 4th line to play more than 9-10 minutes a night then he needs to figure out a way to get Perreault some more ice time, give him a shift here and there on the Lowry, Little or Scheifele lines. He should be playing at minimum 11-12 minutes at 5 on 5.

And you really expect this type of creative line adjustment to occur with our beloved coach? :sarcasm: There were many opportunities to essentially double-shift Perreault a few times last year as well (when he made the Hendricks line into something respectable but in doing so,played so few minutes). This coach will not plan such maneuvers, and will certainly not make adjustments during the game itself (other than the occasional old blender treatment).

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Was at the game & don't see all the gushing over Little. Yes, he was better & great goal, but that line has got to improve a ton. Laine & Ehlers skating around trying to find open space & leaving little Little do all the digging. Totally ineffective.

Best players without a doubt were Broissy & Morrissey - where would we be without him!

OOPS, meant to edit, not reply!

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
Brossoit stole that game for us.

Carolina made us look slow.

I grudgingly admit the new third jerseys look pretty good on TV.

I have to say I really like the aviator Jersey. Looks really sharp on TV.

Would be nice to see them 5 or 6 times per year. I would not want to see them in the playoffs though. Just me.

I agree with both of you. I remember when the third jerseys were first introduced I wasn't too keen on them but said I would wait until seeing them on the ice before passing judgement. After seeing them in action for the first time, they actually didn't look too bad. They're clean and simple and easy on the eyes.

cut.png

:jets

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I'll be a little kinder and give them the LA game, and a point against StL so 1-3-1. :)

But I agree with your overall point, this team is not impressing me this year. Thankfully, I missed the 1st period because I forgot it was a 6:00 start. When I turned it on and looked at the shot clock (I think it was 19-6 or something like that), I was expecting another long, painful night. Brossoit looked rock solid for the most part. Both goalies will have to be the way this team plays in its own end. On one shift, Scheif and Wheeler looked like a couple of flat-footed rookies fumbling around trying to get the puck out while under pressure. I swear, watching the Jets trying to exit their zone sometimes is like this... :laugh:

191640-They-All-Fall-Down.gif
LOL - has to be one of the best gifs going. But yes, it was a gong show form the forwards getting out of their own end as well as the D. Forwards forever passing the puck to a non-existent winger instead of simply getting it out. Worst game for that I ever remember

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Jets did hit 3 or 4 posts last night (depending on whether Ehlers' hit the post). They also had Copp miss a wide open tap-in chance (from Lowry). It's not like the Jets didn't have some good chances.
Actually, I thought the Canes had a few posts themselves, and I didn't recall more than a couple for the Jets.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
JMO and Buff are our best D?

JMo might be smarter than Trouba and Buff has way more O than Trouba but Trouba polices the front of the net better than anyone on the team. He has a mean streak that I like that m ost D should have.
For those of you calling up Niku, his lack of "Troubaness" in front of the net is probably what they want him to work on down on the farm.
No need to make big moves when there's about 75 games left to play in the season.
Our goalie and Little were the best two players on the ice yesterday for both teams.
The second pairing I'd like to see then would be Niku & Trouba. Not sure who would go with Morrissey then - I guess Buff by default, or I wouldn't be against sticking stay at home Poolman there. Comes down to how much do you want to water down your top pair, or top 4 versus an all around defensive approach matching better rushers with stay at home guys.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Seems like all of Trouba, Morrissey and Buff not out for practice today. Let's hope Morrissey and Trouba are good to go tomorrow.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The second pairing I'd like to see then would be Niku & Trouba. Not sure who would go with Morrissey then - I guess Buff by default, or I wouldn't be against sticking stay at home Poolman there. Comes down to how much do you want to water down your top pair, or top 4 versus an all around defensive approach matching better rushers with stay at home guys.
I don't think you break up Morrissey and Trouba. They are an outstanding pair that can shut down opponents' top lines and create some offense. I'd play Niku with Buff, and give them easier usage than the top pairing. They'd be good playing against lesser competition with the Ehlers/Laine.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm going to try and save face here and say that I was just trying to get insider information on how badly his left hand was injured for the sake of HF. I have no shame. LOL

If he had been able to fist bump me with the left hand then he was good to go for tomorrow night's game.
this wasn't up there with George Harrisson autographing a guitar on his deathbed, so you'll get a temporary pass

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems like all of Trouba, Morrissey and Buff not out for practice today. Let's hope Morrissey and Trouba are good to go tomorrow.

Shades of the season we lost our starting top 4 and had to move Buff from forward to D and he became super man for 30 games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Shades of the season we lost our starting top 4 and had to move Buff from forward to D and he became super man for 30 games.

Given that no one has been recalled I'd say we are ok for now (fingers crossed but I will wait for Maurice's comments after practice for confirmation or to start panicking lol)

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Given that no one has been recalled I'd say we are ok for now (fingers crossed but I will wait for Maurice's comments after practice for confirmation or to start panicking lol)

Makes me appreciate the hell out of a guy like Drew Doughty who has played 10 full seasons, 29 minutes a night over the last few seasons, physically engaged, and averages 80.5 games played per season. What a freaking iron man.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A side note: it is likely going to take murder to get Trouba a spot on either PP unit. You know, the guy who has led the Jets' D corps in 5v5 production for three years, I think.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A side note: it is likely going to take murder to get Trouba a spot on either PP unit. You know, the guy who has led the Jets' D corps in 5v5 production for three years, I think.

His PP production has been mediocre though. Having said that he should be in Myers spot right now with JoMo manning the first unit.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
His PP production has been mediocre though. Having said that he should be in Myers spot right now with JoMo manning the first unit.
Yeah. Giving Morrissey a spot is not a crime either with Buff sidelined. Myers is the one who should not be on the team('s PP units).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
High time to get Niku up here. And while we're at it, Poolman has got to be a lot better than anything Charoit or Kuli can offer. Put those two on waivers & nobody touches them with a ten foot pole.

I'd love to see a stay home guy like POolman paired with Buff, and Niku with Morrow I guess.
Haha what?

Did you watch Poolman? When he was at his very best last year he kept his head barely above water. He was garbage in preseason. Not to say that's his ceiling but man the hot takes in here. Kulikov played his FIRST game last night and besides a couple of giveaways I thought he was solid.

Myers was bad last night. You know who was worse? Joe f***ing Morrow. Put Myers back with Kulikov and Chia with Buff when he comes back. Niku will get his shot this year. Poolman???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad