Post-Game Talk: Jets survive the Hurricanes.. Win 3-1

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My anger turned to sadness for him and that usually never happens for me. The Carolina pressure got in his head and without a strong partner he was finished. He just couldn’t get out of the zone to save his life. Honestly I give full credit to the Canes, I have seen Ben enough to know his weaknesses but last night he legitimately seemed shell shocked even by his standards.

Honestly my lasting impression watching those two bottom pairs for the Jets last night I am in awe of Buff’s power to carry many of them to respectability on a second paring.

We need to play a few games against teams that are not brining their A game.
Agree. I think Niku would settle in fine with Buff, and within 20-30 games would become an asset. I think Chiarot needs to go into a "depth" role and Kulikov needs to play LD. The problem right now is also lack of roster space. I doubt the Jets want to try to waive Chiarot or Morrow, so with two extra forwards they don't have roster space for Niku.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Still don’t get how the Jets let the Canes outshoot them at home 2-1 and this after coming off a game the night before, too many Jets players going through the motions still!

Goaltending the only thing looking good on the Jets this season!
The Canes outplayed the Jets, mostly in the first period. But their shot totals are inflated by taking a ton of low danger shots from the wing. Basically, every time they have a clear lane they shoot, regardless of position. The Jets do a lot of curling and looking for players down the middle or cycling down low rather than taking low percentage shots from out wide. It's a stylistic difference.

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Looking like the start of the 17/18 season where we get shelled and survive on goaltending. Hopefully they turn the same corner.

Could really use some Niku on the backend moving pucks up.
I don't know if Niku is ready to start in the NHL yet but he would still be a upgrade on Charoit and right now probably Myers and Morrow as well . We are such a different team without Buff , right now Morrissey and Buff are far and away our top defensemen

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Our D is making us look horrible out there. There was one possession in our Zone where Carolina exits for a change, Morrow and Myers can't make a pass to each other and we give up another 45 seconds in our zone.

I found that game very stressful to watch.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
PO’d with the Jets overall this season, without the superb goaltending the Jets could very well be 0-5 this season, be honest who doesn’t agree!

Watching the young Canes who seem to want it vs. the don’t give a *#@t Jets was sad.

I'll be a little kinder and give them the LA game, and a point against StL so 1-3-1. :)

But I agree with your overall point, this team is not impressing me this year. Thankfully, I missed the 1st period because I forgot it was a 6:00 start. When I turned it on and looked at the shot clock (I think it was 19-6 or something like that), I was expecting another long, painful night. Brossoit looked rock solid for the most part. Both goalies will have to be the way this team plays in its own end. On one shift, Scheif and Wheeler looked like a couple of flat-footed rookies fumbling around trying to get the puck out while under pressure. I swear, watching the Jets trying to exit their zone sometimes is like this... :laugh:

191640-They-All-Fall-Down.gif

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'll be a little kinder and give them the LA game, and a point against StL so 1-3-1. :)

But I agree with your overall point, this team is not impressing me this year. Thankfully, I missed the 1st period because I forgot it was a 6:00 start. When I turned it on and looked at the shot clock (I think it was 19-6 or something like that), I was expecting another long, painful night. Brossoit looked rock solid for the most part. Both goalies will have to be the way this team plays in its own end. On one shift, Scheif and Wheeler looked like a couple of flat-footed rookies fumbling around trying to get the puck out while under pressure. I swear, watching the Jets trying to exit their zone sometimes is like this... :laugh:

191640-They-All-Fall-Down.gif
This is brilliant :biglaugh:, now that's all i'm going to see when watching Charoit and Myers . :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Agreed. You can't have two snipers on the same line. Not complimentary. Unless Ehlers wants to reestablish himself as a pure set-up guy, and I can't see that happening.

Yep, and Little himself is not really a puck hound. He's good defensively but both he and Ehlers/Laine would benefit so much from having a forechecker / board guy on their line. Ehlers - Little - Perreault was pretty good for this reason.

So... no grinder on the line, both young talents are shooters, plus I'd rather see Ehlers and Laine get some competition going instead of playing friendly bromance on same line. Heh.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Canes outplayed the Jets, mostly in the first period. But their shot totals are inflated by taking a ton of low danger shots from the wing. Basically, every time they have a clear lane they shoot, regardless of position. The Jets do a lot of curling and looking for players down the middle or cycling down low rather than taking low percentage shots from out wide. It's a stylistic difference.

And not a bad strategy when you're playing a backup goalie who hasn't played in a while. When you get a shot on net, sometimes good things happen even with the best of them. Waiting for that perfect chance all the time... well, we saw how well that worked out with Laine and Ehlers doing their best impression of Chip and Dale. After you sir, oh no I couldn't possibly, after you sir! :facepalm:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Yep, and Little himself is not really a puck hound. He's good defensively but both he and Ehlers/Laine would benefit so much from having a forechecker / board guy on their line. Ehlers - Little - Perreault was pretty good for this reason.

So... no grinder on the line, both young talents are shooters, plus I'd rather see Ehlers and Laine get some competition going instead of playing friendly bromance on same line. Heh.
I was actually concerned when I saw them both go in on a two-on-zero breakaway. I assumed they would overpass it.

Reactions: Jack722

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think the jerseys do look pretty good on TV, but not nice enough for me to want to purchase.
I suspect Kulikov is still recovering from his back surgery, so I'm not sure how effective he'll be for the next few months (or the entire season).
While Poolman had a bad camp, I thought he was ok last year, so I'd like to give him a chance before Niku, as I think some more development time will help him (but I could be wrong here).
If it wasn't so radical a move, I wonder if Ehlers would be a good rushing D?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I was actually concerned when I saw them both go in on a two-on-zero breakaway. I assumed they would overpass it.
It was a pretty remarkable / lucky save. If Ehlers had scored, it would have been a sharp offensive play. It's not like they fumbled the puck or anything.

Reactions: thereturn

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well “somehow” we hit the 6 in 5 mark

I would like to personally thank team “somehow” . Take a bow Connor Hellebuyck, Laurent Brossoit, and Adam Francilia and whatever you do in your little summer magic factory.

I said this at this exact time last year (Helle was 3-0-0 with a .937 save %) and we had magically achieved 6 in 5 despite a REALLY slow start for the skaters and Mason. It’s ok for your goalies to bail you out for a stretch while the skaters dig their heads out of their collective asses and get on step.
Yeah, the first 5 or 10 games aren't really a true gauge of the team. The Jets didn't really hit their stride until Game 20 last year - though they were racking up the points before that with Hellebuyck holding down the fort a lot of nights.

The defense this year is abysmal though - an injury to any one of the Top 3 reduces the team to 1 NHL pairing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets did hit 3 or 4 posts last night (depending on whether Ehlers' hit the post). They also had Copp miss a wide open tap-in chance (from Lowry). It's not like the Jets didn't have some good chances.

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
JMO and Buff are our best D?

JMo might be smarter than Trouba and Buff has way more O than Trouba but Trouba polices the front of the net better than anyone on the team. He has a mean streak that I like that m ost D should have.
For those of you calling up Niku, his lack of "Troubaness" in front of the net is probably what they want him to work on down on the farm.
No need to make big moves when there's about 75 games left to play in the season.
Our goalie and Little were the best two players on the ice yesterday for both teams.

Reactions: Jack722

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
One thing to watch out for tomorrow is if Morrissey is skating. He blocked a shot in the last minute, was in pain and seem to be favoring one of his hands. Hope he's okay. If he is hurt and Buff is hurt, we are doomed.

Morrissey seemed up beat in his interview after the game so I doubt there is anything wrong there.

Morrissey takes a whooping every 5 games or so. looks like he's gonna be breathing his last breaths...but will never miss a game.
Joshy Icepacks

When he came out for the game's Three Stars, he was holding up his (right, I think) wrist. Hope it's nothing too serious.
He was holding his left hand and arm up the whole time on his second star selection skate. Hopefully it is just a bad bruise from that blocked shot. He sure does take a beating game in and game out. Future all-star defenseman and true warrior.

He is quite the class act though, my seat was on the left side of the player tunnel so I would normally receive a left hand fist bump, but he actually made the effort to reach across to give one with his right hand. (Note: And I am not even a 12 year old kid.)

upload_2018-10-15_10-23-21.png

upload_2018-10-15_10-19-56.png

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah, the first 5 or 10 games aren't really a true gauge of the team. The Jets didn't really hit their stride until Game 20 last year

And why do so many people seem to think that's acceptable? Maybe they should shorten the regular season, and have a 20 game pre-season. Also, maybe some pre-playoff games after the regular season, just to get them into playoff mode before the real playoffs start. :sarcasm:

Please note, none of this is directed at you. Just using your post as a jumping off point for a rant.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Every game I'm liking Rolsovic more and more. I think he's growing his game and understanding what he's capable of. He could really use some help on that line though. As much as I love MP, he hasn't been great at all, and I had high hopes for Vesalainen, but he needs work still.

IMO Roslovic is doing very well at Center but needs minutes and linemates. He's fast and talented.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
JMO and Buff are our best D?

JMo might be smarter than Trouba and Buff has way more O than Trouba but Trouba polices the front of the net better than anyone on the team. He has a mean streak that I like that m ost D should have.
For those of you calling up Niku, his lack of "Troubaness" in front of the net is probably what they want him to work on down on the farm.
No need to make big moves when there's about 75 games left to play in the season.
Our goalie and Little were the best two players on the ice yesterday for both teams.
Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Buff
Kulikov-Myers

Doesn't sound so bad. Shelter that 3rd pairing tho...

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It was a pretty remarkable / lucky save. If Ehlers had scored, it would have been a sharp offensive play. It's not like they fumbled the puck or anything.
But he didn't score and it wasn't a sharp offensive play.

Ehlers was in too close to raise the puck, therefore the pass to him shouldn't have happened. One pass too many. When your 44 goal man is in one on one on goal, he shouldn't dish to puck away.

Reactions: DashingDane

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
He was holding his left hand and arm up the whole time on his second star selection skate. Hopefully it is just a bad bruise from that blocked shot. He sure does take a beating game in and game out. Future all-star defenseman and true warrior.

He is quite the class act though, my seat was on the left side of the player tunnel so I would normally receive a left hand fist bump, but he actually made the effort to reach across to give one with his right hand. (Note: And I am not even a 12 year old kid.)

View attachment 146871
View attachment 146869
so the man's hurting and you're like "hi five, bruh!!"?
lol

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Jets did hit 3 or 4 posts last night (depending on whether Ehlers' hit the post). They also had Copp miss a wide open tap-in chance (from Lowry). It's not like the Jets didn't have some good chances.

One thing that seemed to go very unnoticed is after the 2 on 0 Ehlers hit the puck back a bit and I think it was Morrow who took a shot and put it right off the crossbar.

Reactions: ps241

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
so the man's hurting and you're like "hi five, bruh!!"?
lol
I'm going to try and save face here and say that I was just trying to get insider information on how badly his left hand was injured for the sake of HF. I have no shame. LOL

If he had been able to fist bump me with the left hand then he was good to go for tomorrow night's game.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
We weren't playing all that great last year in the early season, but we still picked up points.

That's the important thing this early in the season.

I'll restart that "6 in 5" Thread. A nice first five games. We're on track.

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad