Post-Game Talk: Jets survive the Hurricanes.. Win 3-1

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
CSW - Once again they had some brilliant shifts, but they also had some brutal shifts in their own zone. Wheeler doesn't figure out where to position himself, so he's always too high or too low along the right side. Scheifele cheats with his positioning and puck battles looking for a break, and Connor isn't strong along the boards. Also, Maurice plays them into the ice. I was flabbergasted that he played them on back to back shifts 5v6 late in the game. He has the Lowry line ready to roll but goes with Scheifele and company, maybe because they like the EN points.

Seems that I'm not watching the game alone.

For the bolded, I was just shaking my head in disbelief when I saw that. Well, they got away with that and even got an empty netter, and not for example a hooking penalty about 10 seconds before the end for Connor who had ahem... a bit active stick out there on o-zone forecheck. Not sure if it was Maurice yelling from the bench something like "easy! easy!" for him, as there was not much time left, but a o-zone faceoff with 6-on-4 could be something.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
7-5 Yikes! I had visions of Stuart-Harrison watching this pair at times. The Jets need to get a puck moving D to replace Chiarot. I'd move Niku into that role soon and try to get him ready for later in the season and playoffs. What have they got to lose?

I give Kulikov that he has to be a bit rusty after not playing. Also he made one almost nice play with Laine and Ehlers on offensive zone.

Other than that I would like to see Chiarot replaced as well. It still almost gives me nightmares to think his pass towards Buff in the previous game on blue line. Yup, he was forced to do a meh or totally bad decision at that moment, but instead of chipping the puck into the corner (meh, but not dangerous) he chose his only other alternative, giving the puck for the opponent leading to a goal against.

What have they got to lose (trying Niku)? I don't know, but how is the waiver situation? Do Jets have room enough for Niku without adding some of the guys like Chiarot in waivers? Or does the upper body injury of Buff "help" in this regard?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Jets speed and transition game starts from the back end and with the exception of Morrissey they were abysmal, really missed Buff and *cough* Enstrom *cough*. Scheifele also contributed to that with a lack of consistent work down low to get the play started. Little had the most jump of almost any Jet and the results reflected that. He was terrific and outside of Croissant, was probably the Jets best player tonight, with a nod to JoMo.

I love CLT but if they are going to play so much they need to start contributing a bit more offensively.

Once again frustrating to not see more TOI balance, especially so early in the season. The team has the depth to roll 4 lines and Maurice has to start using it, it's silly not to.

I liked Laine's game overall, other than him giving up the puck too easily at times. Overall though he was moving really well and getting in to support the play. Made some really nice little dishes to, one to Kuli jumping into the play in the 3rd that was a great example of his skill.

Liked Wheeler's comments in the post game, 'it's good to exercise a little patience 5 games into the season"

As mentioned earlier Brossoit was tremendous, looked really solid and calm with his movements.

2 points, next.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just looked at the icetime distributions and I am absolutely incensed that Perreault only played 8 mins total and only ~7 mins at 5 on 5. Perreault is one of the best 5 on 5 players on the Jets and the coach needs to find a way to get him some more ice. He is being absolutely wasted with such few minutes.

If Maurice doesn't trust the 4th line to play more than 9-10 minutes a night then he needs to figure out a way to get Perreault some more ice time, give him a shift here and there on the Lowry, Little or Scheifele lines. He should be playing at minimum 11-12 minutes at 5 on 5.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Jets got dummied in the first period. After that they matched Carolina's pace and the game was even. Jets lucky to win. Morrissey and Broswah fantastic. Rest of team meh. I don't like how the lines are. I don't think Connor Schief Wheeler is so sacred you can't break it up. Try Connor Scheifele Laine! Perreault Little Wheeler.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Those uniforms were way nicer in action. Script logo still boring but they’re definitely eye catching in a good way otherwise.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
6 in 5. Me likey: these first five games haven't exactly been the easiest.

I want each member of the 'won't miss Enstrom' crowd to re-assess their views. How on Earth are we icing Chiarot on a nightly basis is far beyond me. Managing a Corsi differential of -22 in just under 12 minutes is quite something.

Brossoit with a debut of a lifetime.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
6 in 5. Me likey: these first five games haven't exactly been the easiest.

I want each member of the 'won't miss Enstrom' crowd to re-assess their views. How on Earth are we icing Chiarot on a nightly basis is far beyond me. Managing a Corsi differential of -22 in just under 12 minutes is quite something.

Brossoit with a debut of a lifetime.

Now that's something! -22 Corsi for Chiapet in a single game? I mean he was bad, but that bad...

Pretty believable though when we were something like -20 for shots on goal as well.

Edit, even more fun: 1 CF, 23 CA, CF% 4.17. To be fair his buddy Kulikov was not much better, I mean as a d-man.

Last edited:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Now that's something! -22 Corsi for Chiapet in a single game? I mean he was bad, but that bad...

Pretty believable though when we were something like -20 for shots on goal as well.

Edit, even more fun: 1 CF, 23 CF, CF% 4.17. To be fair his buddy Kulikov was not much better, I mean as a d-man.
Zero shots on goal with Chiarot on the ice.

upload_2018-10-15_10-41-45.jpeg

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Seems that I'm not watching the game alone.

For the bolded, I was just shaking my head in disbelief when I saw that. Well, they got away with that and even got an empty netter, and not for example a hooking penalty about 10 seconds before the end for Connor who had ahem... a bit active stick out there on o-zone forecheck. Not sure if it was Maurice yelling from the bench something like "easy! easy!" for him, as there was not much time left, but a o-zone faceoff with 6-on-4 could be something.

Against the Kings Wheeler played 0:50 & 1:30 with 2:40 left and he had multiple opportunities for a change... Now it was from 17:51 till 19:47. Atleast Wheeler changed this game, Scheifele and Connor didn't.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Quick thoughts (8.5)...

CSW - Once again they had some brilliant shifts, but they also had some brutal shifts in their own zone. Wheeler doesn't figure out where to position himself, so he's always too high or too low along the right side. Scheifele cheats with his positioning and puck battles looking for a break, and Connor isn't strong along the boards. Also, Maurice plays them into the ice. I was flabbergasted that he played them on back to back shifts 5v6 late in the game. He has the Lowry line ready to roll but goes with Scheifele and company, maybe because they like the EN points.

ELL - They had a good game, mostly because Little was outstanding. He had lots of jump and was solid in all three zones. Ehlers was good in spurts. He's still snakebitten. Laine's hands still are shaky. Maybe he should work more on hockey skills in the offseason like a lot of other players do. I think he'll come around soon, but I never saw him fumble as many pucks or passes or mistime shots in previous seasons as much as he has so far this season.

CLT - Another really solid game. Lowry is a beast. Tanev is actually showing much improved puck skills.

VRP - I thought they had some good shifts early, then Maurice abandoned them I guess so he could make his top lines as tired as his opponents, who played last night.

44-8 The only pair that looked NHL caliber. Morrissey was great. Trouba had some miscues early, but got better as the game wore on, and was very proficient at shutting off the slot area.

70-57 They really struggled with the pace. Myers just doesn't move the puck as quickly as he needs to. Morrow had some brain cramps, and isn't suited to a ponderous D partner like Myers.

7-5 Yikes! I had visions of Stuart-Harrison watching this pair at times. The Jets need to get a puck moving D to replace Chiarot. I'd move Niku into that role soon and try to get him ready for later in the season and playoffs. What have they got to lose?

Brossoit was outstanding. He reminded me stylistically of Hellebuyck. He should fit the Jets' style well. Most encouraging development so far this season.

Whileee don’t stop doing these reviews after games please.

Head meet the nail.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Zero shots on goal with Chiarot on the ice.

View attachment 146837

My anger turned to sadness for him and that usually never happens for me. The Carolina pressure got in his head and without a strong partner he was finished. He just couldn’t get out of the zone to save his life. Honestly I give full credit to the Canes, I have seen Ben enough to know his weaknesses but last night he legitimately seemed shell shocked even by his standards.

Honestly my lasting impression watching those two bottom pairs for the Jets last night I am in awe of Buff’s power to carry many of them to respectability on a second paring.

We need to play a few games against teams that are not brining their A game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well “somehow” we hit the 6 in 5 mark

I would like to personally thank team “somehow” . Take a bow Connor Hellebuyck, Laurent Brossoit, and Adam Francilia and whatever you do in your little summer magic factory.

I said this at this exact time last year (Helle was 3-0-0 with a .937 save %) and we had magically achieved 6 in 5 despite a REALLY slow start for the skaters and Mason. It’s ok for your goalies to bail you out for a stretch while the skaters dig their heads out of their collective asses and get on step.

Last edited:

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Gotta admit I like what Brindamour is selling. Attack, attack, attack. Don't know if it's a sure recipe for success but it sure makes that team exciting to watch.
Vegas like from last year.
Pursuing like crazy

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Enstrom.... he must be making the big bucks now after how stellar he was!...... womp womp.

Well watching that group flounder last night I would have taken last years Enstrom in a heart beat to help stabilize Myers. I know many were done with Toby but be careful what you wish for sometimes.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Trade Chariot or Kulikov to Oilers as tnx for "the bread" and then call up Niku, and let him do the puck work on third line with Myers, and then go Buff-Chariot/Kulikov.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One thing to watch out for tomorrow is if Morrissey is skating. He blocked a shot in the last minute, was in pain and seem to be favoring one of his hands. Hope he's okay. If he is hurt and Buff is hurt, we are doomed.

Morrissey seemed up beat in his interview after the game so I doubt there is anything wrong there.

Reactions: Jets 31

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
B definitely brought the points in.

Little had his best game of the season, just really need to get Ehlers going as well to get that balanced offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad