Post-Game Talk: Jets Smash Preds 6-2

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
No, he wouldn't have won game 4. He might have helped to win it. Hendy contributed nothing - which meant his entire line contributed nothing. How is it even possible to argue that?
It's possible to argue that because independent of Perreault and Hendricks, the other 11 forwards dressed did pretty much nothing to win the game. It was luck that we were even in a one goal loss.

To be clear (and as I've stated) I would have much rather had Perreault in for Hendricks, but the obscene amount of weight being put on it here is exhausting.

The Jets were outwilled by a very good team employing a great tactic against us. They had more energy, and knew it was a must win scenario and they came through. Perreault/ Hendricks swap would have likely not had much impact ESPECIALLY considering Maurice would have had to shorten the bench after getting down anyway.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
IDK if these were already brought up, but some TOI stats:

Subban 25:24
Josi 24:25
Ekholm 23:40
Arvidsson 22:01
Ellis 21:57

Buff 21:54
Johansen 21:51
Trouba 21:37
Myers 20:31
Morrissey 20:27

The Preds had to ride with their selection of stars, whereas Maurice and Huddy did a superb job distributing the ice time evenly. Scheifele led our forwards with 18:55. Every single player on the ice played 10 minutes or more.
True, but let's not forget that is a lot easier to accomplish up by 3 or 4 goals.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
How is it “inexplicable?” You can’t win without scoring. At some point if you aren’t leading you can’t trap...
Huh?

They got ahead and stayed ahead in game 4 by playing a certain way - a way they started playing in game 5. They ended the first having really owned the game. In the second period they INEXPLICABLY changed their playing style. Meaning, they had great success in game 4 and the first period of game 5 and then decided to play the game in a way that the suits the Jets speed and skill.

That is what I mean by inexplicably.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's possible to argue that because independent of Perreault and Hendricks, the other 11 forwards dressed did pretty much nothing to win the game. It was luck that we were even in a one goal loss.

To be clear (and as I've stated) I would have much rather had Perreault in for Hendricks, but the obscene amount of weight being put on it here is exhausting.

The Jets were outwilled by a very good team employing a great tactic against us. They had more energy, and knew it was a must win scenario and they came through. Perreault/ Hendricks swap would have likely not had much impact ESPECIALLY considering Maurice would have had to shorten the bench after getting down anyway.

If we were down that is...

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

When Hendricks is in and we win its in spite of him. When Hendricks is in and we lose its because of him. He can't have impact when we win, but he has a hell of a lot of impact when we lose. Just get with the program already!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Huh?

They got ahead and stayed ahead in game 4 by playing a certain way - a way they started playing in game 5. They ended the first having really owned the game. In the second period they INEXPLICABLY changed their playing style. Meaning, they had great success in game 4 and the first period of game 5 and then decided to play the game in a way that the suits the Jets speed and skill.

That is what I mean by inexplicably.

Again - they can’t win by holding the score 0-0. At some point they have to try and get a goal. The score doesn’t carry over from the previous game. They opened things up a bit in the second and we managed to get things going our way. There’s nothing all that inexplicable about it.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Again - they can’t win by holding the score 0-0. At some point they have to try and get a goal. The score doesn’t carry over from the previous game. They opened things up a bit in the second and we managed to get things going our way. There’s nothing all that inexplicable about it.
The thing is, they were much, much closer to scoring than we were in the first.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The thing is, they were much, much closer to scoring than we were in the first.
That's the point I was trying to make. If they would have stayed with clogging up the center ice area, jumping up and impeding our speed like the previous 4 periods, it was likely they would have continued to stifle us and get counters. That was very effective for them, but for some reason (and I doubt it was coaching) they stopped.

I fully expect them to return to that style of play in game 6, especially considering how shaky Rinne has been. I hope Maurice has a better answer for it.

Reactions: Ducky10

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
When Hendricks is in and we win its in spite of him. When Hendricks is in and we lose its because of him. He can't have impact when we win, but he has a hell of a lot of impact when we lose. Just get with the program already!
HA I should know by now :)

I think people are misunderstanding me, anyway (as usual - I have to work on my communication).

Perreault is miles better than Hendy, and we are a better team with him in. I wouldn't want it the other way.

BUT - to suggest somehow we might have won a game we were completely flat and outclassed in because of Mattchu is realllllyyyyy reaching.

I didn't agree with Maurice's decision, but he wants to win WAY more than any of us and it's his single mandate to do so. So, I allow him that choice - especially since he's done a great job with this team

Reactions: Ducky10

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Man this team has talent , and most are very young . I don't know exactly how Chevy is going to keep the majority of this roster together and still be under the cap in the next couple of seasons but if he can this is a Stanley Cup contender for at least the next 3 to 5 years , good times people , good times . :vhappy:

Reactions: jefferoni

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's the point I was trying to make. If they would have stayed with clogging up the center ice area, jumping up and impeding our speed like the previous 4 periods, it was likely they would have continued to stifle us and get counters. That was very effective for them, but for some reason (and I doubt it was coaching) they stopped.

I fully expect them to return to that style of play in game 6, especially considering how shaky Rinne has been. I hope Maurice has a better answer for it.
That is why we absolutely need to start the game with more energy than ever before. Make them play our game, in which they have struggled.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
****, I was too positive. Apologies. :sarcasm:
Not what I meant and not a shot at Maurice. Any coach has the luxury of rolling four lines over 10 minutes each with 3 goal cushions. Wheeler didn't play the last 10, that's not going to happen much.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
That is why we absolutely need to start the game with more energy than ever before. Make them play our game, in which they have struggled.
The crazy thing is the team has looked nervous at home IMO - something we really didn't see this year at all.

I think this is one area where Perreault can help with his speed and tenaciousness on the puck.

I feel like both Lowry and Tanev are hurting because neither of them have been as physically aggressive as they have been. I think they are a big part of our offensive engine. That physicality softens the opposition D up, hurries their plays and then our skill guys feast on turnovers.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
i just watched the highlights again.
man, that Connor assist was purdy.
Literally made me get up off my couch and fist pump. The carnage that caused with Johansen, Rinne and PK needs to be framed in my office. A few faces on the fans behind the net would be great too.

Reactions: HannuJ

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Not what I meant and not a shot at Maurice. Any coach has the luxury of rolling four lines over 10 minutes each with 3 goal cushions. Wheeler didn't play the last 10, that's not going to happen much.
True, but they deserved that luxury and get to benefit from their good play in game 6. What I rated from Maurice was the fact that even with years' worth of experience from beating certain players like rented mules, no defenseman played over 22 minutes. Hopefully that shows, especially when compared to the Preds' top 4, which logged significantly more minutes.
The crazy thing is the team has looked nervous at home IMO - something we really didn't see this year at all.

I think this is one area where Perreault can help with his speed and tenaciousness on the puck.

I feel like both Lowry and Tanev are hurting because neither of them have been as physically aggressive as they have been. I think they are a big part of our offensive engine. That physicality softens the opposition D up, hurries their plays and then our skill guys feast on turnovers.
I think the atmosphere in Winnipeg might have gotten to the heads of some Jets. If there is any truth to that, they need to learn to cope with the expectations.

The hitting has certainly slowed down from round 1. The playoffs suck the life out of the players in the worst way...

Reactions: Jet and Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

I think to some extent they did answer it at the beginning of the second. If you watch the first 6-7 minutes again, before the Laine goal, the Jets were dropping the puck to a trailing D or foreward, positioning a guy at the strong side blue line in behind the trapping two Preds and sending a winger in with speed on the weak side wing. As a result they were able to get some better rims in and get some retrievals. It also helped they were playing much tighter gaps themselves and decided to play with more speed in their own end. After they went up a couple, Nashville was lost.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
True, but they deserved that luxury and get to benefit from their good play in game 6. What I rated from Maurice was the fact that even with years' worth of experience from beating certain players like rented mules, no defenseman played over 22 minutes. Hopefully that shows, especially when compared to the Preds' top 4, which logged significantly more minutes.

I think the atmosphere in Winnipeg might have gotten to the heads of some Jets. If there is any truth to that, they need to learn to cope with the expectations.

The hitting has certainly slowed down from round 1. The playoffs suck the life out of the players in the worst way...

I think the Wild were just trying to hit a lot because they really couldn't match the skill of the Jets, and I think it kind of helped them out by getting the Jets more focused on hitting then on scoring goals. Teams that really want to/can win don't need to hit a whole lot.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think to some extent they did answer it at the beginning of the second. If you watch the first 6-7 minutes again, before the Laine goal, the Jets were dropping the puck to a trailing D or foreward, positioning a guy at the strong side blue line in behind the trapping two Preds and sending a winger in with speed on the weak side wing. As a result they were able to get some better rims in and get some retrievals. It also helped they were playing much tighter gaps themselves and decided to play with more speed in their own end. After they went up a couple, Nashville was lost.
Good catch. I didn't really notice that - I just noticed that the Preds got caught up in trading chances through transition, which was probably caused by the Jets breaking the trap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad