Post-Game Talk: Jets smack Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Copp was awesome in the neutral zone and real good in the defensive zone on the second line.

I didn't like his offensive zone play. Chip and chase, while the first and third lines were making chances off the rush; and doing that bottom 6 "get an offensive zone faceoff for the top line" mentality. Not sure he's using his wingers.

Yet. He's still disciplined but needs to change his thinking a bit.

Reactions: hn777

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Copp was awesome in the neutral zone and real good in the defensive zone on the second line.

I didn't like his offensive zone play. Chip and chase, while the first and third lines were making chances off the rush; and doing that bottom 6 "get an offensive zone faceoff for the top line" mentality. Not sure he's using his wingers.

Yet. He's still disciplined but needs to change his thinking a bit.
He does not have the puck skills for top 6 minutes especially as a center

Reactions: rkp

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This may be a controversial post, but I really think Paul Maurice was extended with certain conditions.
One of them might be that he was told to let his players play THEIR game more and let their natural speed and talent take over.
Right now anyway, this does not look like a team that’s trying not to lose as before. They look like a team trying hard to win and finally enjoying the game again.
They are playing to their strengths instead of being scared of making mistakes.

A change may have taken place, but no way it was made a condition of his extension. If you feel your coach needs a condition like that, you get a different coach. Not saying that Chevy and Maurice couldn't have discussed the subject, but it would not have been a condition of the extension.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post. They have gradually been looking better since they ended the losing streak. Lets hope they can look as good against stiffer competition. :)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
DeMelo wearing #12, for some reason seems odd, for the only fact that I don't recall any prominent Jet wearing that number. The first player I recalled was Drew Stafford:laugh: and then Jokinen.

Doug Smail wore #12 but I remember him for wearing # 9.

Here's hoping DeMelo makes that number the most memorable (in a good way)

Winnipeg Jets 1.0/Phoenix Coyotes wearers of # 12
UW0TGtY.png

Atlanta/Jets 2.0 wearers of # 12
7matT09.png
Lukowich was pretty prominent in the early days of Jets 1.0.

Seems like players wearing #12 don't stick with Jets 2.0 very long. Jokinen & Stafford 2 years. Everyone else 1 season or less.

The last 3 players to wear it didn't start the season with the Jets...all 3 brought in on trades.

In fact, no Thrashers/Jets 2.0 drafted player has ever worn 12 for the franchise - although Kevin Hayes was drafted by Chicago with a pick they acquired from Atlanta...but it was the Devils' pick originally (that came to the Thrashers in the Kovalchuk trade).

And now you know....the Rest of the Story (tm).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Those Ehlers numbers are just filthy.

Maybe for the other team as they would give up chances galore.
What about Ehlers Roslovic Laine
Connor Schief Wheeler?
Ehlers is better defensively than Connor
Schief is better defensively than Roslovic.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I agree that Connor is pretty much "precisely rated". If anyone is underrated it's Ehlers who has (IIRC) very similar output/60 but puts up less numbers due to less ice time.
Question is whether Ehlers would keep up that pace for longer minutes or whether more minutes would bring those avgs down.
It’s easier to bat 6 for 10 than 600 for a 1000.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Question is whether Ehlers would keep up that pace for longer minutes or whether more minutes would bring those avgs down.

Absolutely. All other things being equal, similar rates at longer sample size mean much more. If Ehlers's role enables him to give that high octane output, I'm fine with that. I'd like to see him at least get a shot for longer minutes, but I'm not the coach and I may well be dead wrong on that.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Absolutely. All other things being equal, similar rates at longer sample size mean much more. If Ehlers's role enables him to give that high octane output, I'm fine with that. I'd like to see him at least get a shot for longer minutes, but I'm not the coach and I may well be dead wrong on that.
Ehlers is great his Defensive game opens up a lot more. If Roslovic can keep playing the way he has since all star break would love to see what Ehlers Roslovic Laine looks like. Our best 2 way wingers with a centre who is weaker in his end but good offensively. Also Laine Copp Ehlers see if their offends can make up for Copp’s lack of offense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He does not have the puck skills for top 6 minutes especially as a center
I tend to agree, but Connor and Laine desperately need a player that keeps the ice tilted so they don't spend too much time in the D zone. Together, Laine and Connor can create enough in the offensive zone, but they need to get there first.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Fair point and definitely possible. My hunch would be that his rates would improve though. The top 6 isn't that far off in 5v5 ATOI, so it would be adding pp, 4v4 and 3v3 to make up the difference. I'd assume production rates go up with pp time and 4v4/3v3 seems like it is suited to Nikky's style of play. But really no way of telling unless he actually get's the chance...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Fair point and definitely possible. My hunch would be that his rates would improve though. The top 6 isn't that far off in 5v5 ATOI, so it would be adding pp, 4v4 and 3v3 to make up the difference. I'd assume production rates go up with pp time and 4v4/3v3 seems like it is suited to Nikky's style of play. But really no way of telling unless he actually get's the chance...
What would Nikki’s role be on pp more like Wheeler’s than Connor’s I imagine. Not the guy in front of the net for tips and he doesn’t have the hands in close. Still excellent tho.
He’d be an excellent replacement for Wheeler in all situations if the Jets stopped focusing on money which is not a way to win a cup. Only thing is face offs and I bet he’d be great if he worked on that too. Who knows he may already be.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
How close is the Sbisa to coming back? Don't think the Jets will want to carry 3 D men in the press box? Niku back to the Moose as both the Sbisa and Potato fill a nice role in the press box as the teams non-playing #7 and #8 D men!

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
How close is the Sbisa to coming back? Don't think the Jets will want to carry 3 D men in the press box? Niku back to the Moose as both the Sbisa and Potato fill a nice role in the press box as the teams non-playing #7 and #8 D men!
I wonder if the Jets see if they can still get some value for Niku as if he can’t beat out those guys and Beaulieu can’t see much a future as a jet.

Reactions: sipowicz

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
What would Nikki’s role be on pp more like Wheeler’s than Connor’s I imagine. Not the guy in front of the net for tips and he doesn’t have the hands in close. Still excellent tho.
He’d be an excellent replacement for Wheeler in all situations if the Jets stopped focusing on money which is not a way to win a cup. Only thing is face offs and I bet he’d be great if he worked on that too. Who knows he may already be.

I'd say Scheif and Laine should be untouchable on the pp. I think KC has gotten better down low so not sure I'd want Nikky there. I'd say instead of Pionk or Wheels though I know that won't happen. I'd like to see Nikky instead of Pionk passing to Laine and being a threat with his clapper. I could also see him in KC's role where KC subs for Wheels as the QB. We saw it when Paul switched up the pp earlier in the season. Ehls east/west behind the net allowed both KC and Scheif to be set up quickly because he is so mobile.

Reactions: hn777

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

FYI his lifetime faceoff percentage is 30.4% (7 wins, 16 losses).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'd say Scheif and Laine should be untouchable on the pp. I think KC has gotten better down low so not sure I'd want Nikky there. I'd say instead of Pionk or Wheels though I know that won't happen. I'd like to see Nikky instead of Pionk passing to Laine and being a threat with his clapper. I could also see him in KC's role where KC subs for Wheels as the QB. We saw it when Paul switched up the pp earlier in the season. Ehls east/west behind the net allowed both KC and Scheif to be set up quickly because he is so mobile.
KC where Wheeler plays and Wheeler in front of the net. Scheif in Laine's spot and Laine on the point. Ehlers in KC's spot.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I want a d on the pp as there are the odd break so if Eels is in Pionk’s spot Mo or Pionk are in Wheeler’s spot. There is a reason all Pp have st least 1 d. So even if it’s change my spots I’d still take Wheeler off pp.

Reactions: DashingDane
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad