Post-Game Talk: Jets smack Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Awesome for Scheif to pick up the hattie
Good to see ESW connect again, and congrats to KC for another 30-goal season!

Reactions: Tommigun

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Question is whether Ehlers would keep up that pace for longer minutes or whether more minutes would bring those avgs down.
It’s easier to bat 6 for 10 than 600 for a 1000.
he has a massive sample size, why would it come down playing two more minutes per game and every shift with 55? ridiculous

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Decent game by the Jets eventhough it was just against the Sens. Hopefully the goal floodgates now open with Scheifele. I will gibe that 2nd line a few more nights together but they really didn't look all that great, after watching Copp with Laine/Connor it makes me realizes how much ice Scheifele opens up for them.

Another horrible game by Beaulieu, I said the same after the last one where he had a bunch of points. Bitteto might be an upgrade on him at this point.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
KC where Wheeler plays and Wheeler in front of the net. Scheif in Laine's spot and Laine on the point. Ehlers in KC's spot.

I want a d on the pp as there are the odd break so if Eels is in Pionk’s spot Mo or Pionk are in Wheeler’s spot. There is a reason all Pp have st least 1 d. So even if it’s change my spots I’d still take Wheeler off pp.

I definitely want to see Ehlers on PP1 but I think it's good to have a right-shooter in Wheeler's spot (i.e. Wheeler).
I'd consider trying all forwards (Connor, Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler, Ehlers) but that might be risky.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Ehlers last three years with 55:

upload_2020-2-21_12-9-27.png

Reactions: DashingDane

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I definitely want to see Ehlers on PP1 but I think it's good to have a right-shooter in Wheeler's spot (i.e. Wheeler).
I'd consider trying all forwards (Connor, Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler, Ehlers) but that might be risky.
I would rather see the left had shot. Why would you prefer the right hand shot?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Isn’t Mo a right shot? See if replacing wheels and pionk with mo and eels works.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Sawyer called Connor "a 200 foot player" and Laine "not so good at defense". Also Jets won.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I wonder if the Jets see if they can still get some value for Niku as if he can’t beat out those guys and Beaulieu can’t see much a future as a jet.

Both Heinola and Samberg offer more potential than Niku.

Morrissey, Pionk and Poolman look to be here awhile, De Melo to if they can sign him, what would you realistically get for Niku anyway a 3rd-4th pick at best, thoughts?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Both Heinola and Samberg offer more potential than Niku.

Morrissey, Pionk and Poolman look to be here awhile, De Melo to if they can sign him, what would you realistically get for Niku anyway a 3rd-4th pick at best, thoughts?
Will help those crying over the 3rd we gave up for De.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
he has a massive sample size, why would it come down playing two more minutes per game and every shift with 55? ridiculous

I don't think the extra minutes would have too much impact on Ehlers game -
What will impact his game is playing not only with top players, but against top players.

I look forward to seeing how this works out - they'll be good if they can maintain a high tempo game.
I'm speaking more toward Wheels and Scheif - they have let off the gas in the past and can be hard to watch if they are not working hard.
Right now, they look like they have hit a higher gear - hope that continues.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
DeMelo was solid. Beaulieu was awful with the puck, as usual.
It's interesting two people can see something so differently. I thought Beaulieu was fine.

Poolman wasn't good again - I'd consider swapping him for Niku in the next game.

Reactions: surixon

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I would say depends on what you are looking for? IMHO RH shot on the right wall offers somewhat better passing lanes, LH shot on the right wall offers somewhat better shooting lanes.
I'd be looking at KC as a real threat in Wheeler's spot.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
raw

My cousin convinced me to leave with about 3 minutes left and on the way out I complained about Scheifele missing two golden opportunities to get a hat trick in my first ever NHL game.

Get back to the hotel, see the score was 5-1, instant regret before even looking up who scored.

Being there live is a different experience and I had fun, but the crowd overall was pretty subdued. Their mascot tried to get a Go Sens Go chant going in the 1st and Jets fans ended up out competing it.

Yeah, I was surprised to see so many Jets fans in the crowd. Nice that the guys got some love from the folks at the game so it wasn't an entirely hostile atmosphere. Man oh man Papa Tkachuk has really chunked up. Is that what Matthew and Brady can look forward to when their playing days end? Yikes...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yeah, I was surprised to see so many Jets fans in the crowd. Nice that the guys got some love from the folks at the game so it wasn't an entirely hostile atmosphere. Man oh man Papa Tkachuk has really chunked up. Is that what Matthew and Brady can look forward to when their playing days end? Yikes...
Yikes to the millions and easy life?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Nice game.

Copp is maybe not the most optimal as a 2C but I think the lineup is quite balanced now, plus he should be given the chance to adapt. I see the second line as

Connor (offense), Copp (defense) Laine (balanced).

Of course player chemistry and skill is a thing but I would roll with these lines more. I don't think we should expect perfection as there is clearly a need for a 2C and we should just make the most of it as-is. No team is perfect in every area. This also allows for a really effective third line against weaker opposition. A goal is a goal, no matter which line scores it.

I would not be against switching Pionk with Ehlers. If there is one guy who can accelerate if the shit hits the fan, its Ehlers.

There was a moment on the PP when Wheeler made a man-pass to Laine, and that was the moment when I realized what everyone has been saying about Pionk's passes. Pionk's passes are very much boy-passes. Of course Laine shoots it wide because that is his thing this season.

I also realized I've been wrong about complaining about the blueline shots from Pionk. If they are tipped, it is technically a shot from the slot, so to say that that play should be avoided at all costs is wrong (because my argument was that very few direct shots from the high-point go into the goal directly).

Sawyer is right. I was wrong. I was looking at a heat-map but in reality it is "goals from point + goals tipped from a point-shot + goals scored from a rebound of a point shot = correct calculation of the effectiveness of that play".

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think it’s in optimal to play Connor with Laine. Connor barely sees Laine out there. They do not compliment each other in the slightest. Why not play Connor-Copp-Wheeler & Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine?

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I think it’s in optimal to play Connor with Laine. Connor barely sees Laine out there. They do not compliment each other in the slightest. Why not play Connor-Copp-Wheeler & Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine?

I think you have a point. Not sure how CCW would mesh but it could work if Copp can anchor that line defensively. Could be worth a shot at some point.

But Laine and Connor are both very smart players, Connor maybe has some vision issues on the playmaking side but on the other hand Laine doesn't and Connor is a deadly finisher.

The question is, where is the line between a realistically optimized lineup with this roster, and unrealistic expectation of perfection from all lines. Only experimentation can reveal that for sure.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I think you have a point. Not sure how CCW would mesh but it could work if Copp can anchor that line defensively. Could be worth a shot at some point.

But Laine and Connor are both very smart players, Connor maybe has some vision issues on the playmaking side but on the other hand Laine doesn't and Connor is a deadly finisher.

The question is, where is the line between a realistically optimized lineup with this roster, and unrealistic expectation of perfection from all lines. Only experimentation can reveal that for sure.

2 shooters on the same line, especially top 6 is really inefficient especially when they play so differently. PoMo won’t do it because he seems more concerned about keeping Wheeler happy then actually coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad