Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
It's worth keeping in mind that, perhaps more so than any player we've drafted except for Laine, Perfetti is a player who should be a mainstay on the PP from the moment he sets foot in the NHL, and could actually play down the lineup 5v5 while also getting PP time.

I'm not saying it would be optimal (I hope he'll blow the doors off and play up the lineup), but it would mean he wouldn't be in the 5-9 minutes of ice time per game even if he's not in the top 6 from the start.

Oh, I agree, and hopefully we see PP2 become even more entrenched as PP1 in all but name with him on it -- not much chance he sniffs PP1 this season outside of injuries, IMO, based on the Ehlers Model.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Do the Jets have a development camp scheduled? If so when and are there going to be any intriguing invites?

I know they were trying to get Parker Ford at a camp a couple years ago but he declined both Winnipeg and Vegas invites due to school reasons. Now I see he’s attending the development camp for the Bruins.

No in person dev camp this year.

Reactions: hn777

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I was just going through some mock drafts for 2021…….. came across “The Bleacher report” final mock draft dated July 22 Nd…..

Reading through ….I almost stopped when they had Beniers (Michigan) going to Columbus @ 5 instead of Seattle @ 2….. but wanted to see who they had the Jets taking.

They had us taking a a RH defence man (Corson Ceulsmans) @ 17 Th that in real life went pick 25 th in the real draft.

Funny thing was ……. In this mock draft @ 15 Th was our 1 st round selection Chaz Lucius… and @ 16 was our 2 Nd round selection (Chibrikov)… who we eventually took @ 50 Th…

So as per this pre- ranking of the draft…..The Jets scored the 2 for 1…… drafting both the 15 Th and 16 Th rated player @ the 17th spot!

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was just going through some mock drafts for 2021…….. came across “The Bleacher report” final mock draft dated July 22 Nd…..

Reading through ….I almost stopped when they had Beniers (Michigan) going to Columbus @ 5 instead of Seattle @ 2….. but wanted to see who they had the Jets taking.

They had us taking a a RH defence man (Corson Ceulsmans) @ 17 Th that in real life went pick 25 th in the real draft.

Funny thing was ……. In this mock draft @ 15 Th was our 1 st round selection Chaz Lucius… and @ 16 was our 2 Nd round selection (Chibrikov)… who we eventually took @ 50 Th…

So as per this pre- ranking of the draft…..The Jets scored the 2 for 1…… drafting both the 15 Th and 16 Th rated player @ the 17th spot!

I saw a lot of predictions and mock drafts that had us taking Ceulemans. It was as close to unanimous as 1st OA usually is. :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I actually had Eklund as #1 on my board. Thought for sure we would land one of Lambos/Cuelemans. Didn't think Lucius or Chibrikov would make it to us, let alone one of them in the 2nd round.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Going through a lot of preseason games so I'll keep editing this as I go.

Rashevsky had 2G1A in yesterday's preseason game. Playing on the 2nd line centered by Eric O'Dell.

Kraskovsky as well had 2G1A yesterday.

Nikkanen played his first game with his new team today. No points, centering the second line.

And that's about it actually. Both Torgersson and Johanessons teams played today but they did not.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So, Scott Wheeler has 3 Jets' prospects in his top 40: #5 Perfetti, #22 Lucius, #40 Heinola.

If he's right on these three, the Jets have done a nice job of replenishing their top-end talent in their prospect pipeline. They have a few other intriguing prospects that could play supporting roles, too (Samberg, Gustafsson, Chibrikov, Torgersson, Kovacevic, Chisholm).

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
So, Scott Wheeler has 3 Jets' prospects in his top 40: #5 Perfetti, #22 Lucius, #40 Heinola.

If he's right on these three, the Jets have done a nice job of replenishing their top-end talent in their prospect pipeline. They have a few other intriguing prospects that could play supporting roles, too (Samberg, Gustafsson, Chibrikov, Torgersson, Kovacevic, Chisholm).

It’s pretty impressive that the Jets have the 5th and 22nd best prospect (at least in one scouts opinion) despite having zero picks in the top 9 and one in the top 15 in recent years.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What can folks here tell me about Arvid Holm? I was looking to see if he would be on the Moose roster this year, and there is no indication from Elite Prospects that he is leaving Sweden yet. Are the Jets going to wait until Berdin takes over as the backup in Winnipeg to give Holm his chance? Who is the #4 goalie in the Jets system if Holm remains in the SEL?

Also any word on Nathan Smith? He had a pretty good run this year. I noticed the Moose signed his former teammate Todd Burgess. Is he committed to Minnesota St for another season?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We have 2 D prospects who are NHL ready (I'm assuming Samberg is ready), at least one of them a high end player who will soon transition to top 4 if given the opportunity. We also have 4-5 other promising D prospects making their way up through the system. At least 1 of them is probably NHL ready too, or very close to it. So at least 3 D prospects who need to move up now or very soon. Other than injury replacements, we don't have any room for any of them, even Heinola. They are effectively blocked for the foreseeable future.

What do people see as the solution(s)?
We can let them continue to play in the AHL for another 2-3 years.
We can trade some of them.
We can trade some of the Dmen who are blocking them.
Other?

It isn't a problem for some yet. More time in the AHL will only help them develop. But Heinola shows every sign of being ready now. Samberg is entering D+5 and will soon be 23 and Kovacevic is going into D+7 and is 24. The clock is ticking for both of them. Especially Kovy.

We also have some good F prospects but I don't see a problem finding room for them when they are ready.

I think that, one way or another, something needs to be done about the logjam we now have on D. We could have some interesting trade chips in the near future, or some frustrated young players.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We have 2 D prospects who are NHL ready (I'm assuming Samberg is ready), at least one of them a high end player who will soon transition to top 4 if given the opportunity. We also have 4-5 other promising D prospects making their way up through the system. At least 1 of them is probably NHL ready too, or very close to it. So at least 3 D prospects who need to move up now or very soon. Other than injury replacements, we don't have any room for any of them, even Heinola. They are effectively blocked for the foreseeable future.

What do people see as the solution(s)?
We can let them continue to play in the AHL for another 2-3 years.
We can trade some of them.
We can trade some of the Dmen who are blocking them.
Other?

It isn't a problem for some yet. More time in the AHL will only help them develop. But Heinola shows every sign of being ready now. Samberg is entering D+5 and will soon be 23 and Kovacevic is going into D+7 and is 24. The clock is ticking for both of them. Especially Kovy.

We also have some good F prospects but I don't see a problem finding room for them when they are ready.

I think that, one way or another, something needs to be done about the logjam we now have on D. We could have some interesting trade chips in the near future, or some frustrated young players.

When I look at the Moose roster, the Jets may only have 2 drafted forwards in their lineup this year (Perfetti and Suess), as opposed to 7 on defense (Heinola, Samberg, Kovacevic, Chisholm, Lundmark, Nogier, Gawanke). The way the Jets roster is currently constructed, there isn't an opening on defense for years to come (though I think Schmidt is a rental who will be traded for a greater value, after a good season), so at some point I'd expect Chevy to pull the trigger on a young defenseman for young forward trade. Heinola for Seth Jarvis?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
When I look at the Moose roster, the Jets may only have 2 drafted forwards in their lineup this year (Perfetti and Suess), as opposed to 7 on defense (Heinola, Samberg, Kovacevic, Chisholm, Lundmark, Nogier, Gawanke). The way the Jets roster is currently constructed, there isn't an opening on defense for years to come (though I think Schmidt is a rental who will be traded for a greater value, after a good season), so at some point I'd expect Chevy to pull the trigger on a young defenseman for young forward trade. Heinola for Seth Jarvis?
I don't see the logic in trading Heinola. He's the only real hope for a top pairing defenceman in our prospect pool. Having a ton of prospects that have an off chance of maybe becoming 2nd pairing defenceman doesn't make a potential 1st pairing prospect expendable. Also I don't think Carolina needs more defensemen.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I don't see the logic in trading Heinola. He's the only real hope for a top pairing defenceman in our prospect pool. Having a ton of prospects that have an off chance of maybe becoming 2nd pairing defenceman doesn't make a potential 1st pairing prospect expendable. Also I don't think Carolina needs more defensemen.

I think it's more to do with size. On a small defense, are we wanting to get smaller? Like next year maybe Samberg moves up to play with Pionk, that's a natural fit. Dillon-De Melo are the PK guys to the time Heinola is finished his ELC, and probably here to stay. I can see Lundmark replacing De Melo. Still have Stanley in that mix, and from a team perspective they would probably want the bigger, more physical Stanley than Heinola with Morrissey (who could transition to his offside). With Kovacevic conceivably in the mix. And Chisholm already in year 2 of his ELC. Something has to give. Heinola has the most potential, thus the greatest value. I don't think a trade like that would happen now, as Heinola is pretty good insurance for Morrissey or Pionk in the skill department, but down the road, because the Jets are thin at forward, as I underlined. Especially once you take Stastny and conceivably Copp out of the lineup.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think it's more to do with size. On a small defense, are we wanting to get smaller? Like next year maybe Samberg moves up to play with Pionk, that's a natural fit. Dillon-De Melo are the PK guys to the time Heinola is finished his ELC, and probably here to stay. I can see Lundmark replacing De Melo. Still have Stanley in that mix, and from a team perspective they would probably want the bigger, more physical Stanley than Heinola with Morrissey (who could transition to his offside). With Kovacevic conceivably in the mix. And Chisholm already in year 2 of his ELC. Something has to give. Heinola has the most potential, thus the greatest value. I don't think a trade like that would happen now, as Heinola is pretty good insurance for Morrissey or Pionk in the skill department, but down the road, because the Jets are thin at forward, as I underlined. Especially once you take Stastny and conceivably Copp out of the lineup.
Thin on forward based on the Moose, doesn't include our overseas prospects, NCAA prospects, and CHL prospects. Our prospect pool has always been and continues to be much stronger at forward than defense. I also feel that the biggest problems on our defense all stem from lack of puck moving ability. Heinola's puck moving ability has a lot more value to us than size.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I would have packaged Heinola + Copp + whatever for a Pulock. But for a young forward, I would be looking at moving some other D. Heinola still has game changing potential. Not saying I would refuse to trade him, but he would not be the first one I look to move.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

Isn’t Carolina a bit of a defenseman factory? Everybody seems to always rave about the great defensemen they churn out. Let’s not give them another.

I say this as a big fan of Jarvis.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Isn’t Carolina a bit of a defenseman factory? Everybody seems to always rave about the great defensemen they churn out. Let’s not give them another.

Of the 8 Dmen on their roster right now, they have drafted just 2, both later rd hits. They have acquired 2 in trade and 4 signed as FA.

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
What can folks here tell me about Arvid Holm? I was looking to see if he would be on the Moose roster this year, and there is no indication from Elite Prospects that he is leaving Sweden yet. Are the Jets going to wait until Berdin takes over as the backup in Winnipeg to give Holm his chance? Who is the #4 goalie in the Jets system if Holm remains in the SEL?
I expect Holm to be with the Moose next season.
Ken Wiebe said so a few weeks ago. Also, Färjestad - Holm's previous SHL team - just started preseason games with two other goalies and no mention of Holm on the roster.
For what it's worth, I personally see Holm having a higher ceiling than Berdin. He is big, boring and athletic - where have we heard that before?
He needs consistency, but he is young so hopefully that'll come.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Not so much (since Pesce and Slavin)...

Fleury (#7 overall)
Hanifin (#5 overall, before Provorov, Werenski, Chabot)
Bean (#13 overall, before McAvoy, Chychrun, Stanley :naughty:, Girard)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad