Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do we have any idea where Kuzmin is starting the season?
Was wondering that, too. I have been hoping he might be in the OHL (with Flint), mainly for more opportunities to follow his progress. Not sure what might be the best development path, though.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Was wondering that, too. I have been hoping he might be in the OHL (with Flint), mainly for more opportunities to follow his progress. Not sure what might be the best development path, though.

I did not know he was drafted by Flint. he should avoid there at all costs.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Do we have any idea where Kuzmin is starting the season?

Flint splashed this back in 2020. Haven't seen any news confirming his playing destination since the ELC update. Flint also included Kuzmin in their 2021 draft update:

From 2021: Meanwhile, Firebirds commit Dmitry Kuzmin has not yet suited up for the Firebirds, but the beginning of his NHL career is here. The Winnipeg Jets selected the left-handed defenseman out of Kholstovo, Belarus with their 3rd round pick (#82 overall) in the 2021 NHL Draft on Saturday.

From 2020: Belarus native Dmitry Kuzmin commits to Flint – Flint Firebirds

Flint, Mich. – The Flint Firebirds announced today that the club has signed defenseman Dmitry Kuzmin (pronounced dih-MEE-tree, kooz-min), the Firebirds first-round (46th overall) selection in the 2020 CHL Import Draft, to an Ontario Hockey League Standard Player Agreement and education package.

“We are happy to announce Dmitry has committed to the Firebirds organization,” said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Barclay Branch. “Dmitry is highly regarded in Belarus as one of the nation’s top young defenseman and will be a good fit for our program moving forward.”

Last edited:

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Flint splashed this back in 2020. Haven't seen any updates confirming his playing destination since the ELC update. Flint also included Kuzmin in their 2021 draft update:

Meanwhile, Firebirds commit Dmitry Kuzmin has not yet suited up for the Firebirds, but the beginning of his NHL career is here. The Winnipeg Jets selected the left-handed defenseman out of Kholstovo, Belarus with their 3rd round pick (#82 overall) in the 2021 NHL Draft on Saturday.

Belarus native Dmitry Kuzmin commits to Flint – Flint Firebirds

Flint, Mich. – The Flint Firebirds announced today that the club has signed defenseman Dmitry Kuzmin (pronounced dih-MEE-tree, kooz-min), the Firebirds first-round (46th overall) selection in the 2020 CHL Import Draft, to an Ontario Hockey League Standard Player Agreement and education package.

“We are happy to announce Dmitry has committed to the Firebirds organization,” said Flint Firebirds Vice President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Barclay Branch. “Dmitry is highly regarded in Belarus as one of the nation’s top young defenseman and will be a good fit for our program moving forward.”

Awesome, hoping I can catch a game when he’s up in Owen Sound

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Flint splashed this back in 2020. Haven't seen any news confirming his playing destination since the ELC update. Flint also included Kuzmin in their 2021 draft update:

From 2021: Meanwhile, Firebirds commit Dmitry Kuzmin has not yet suited up for the Firebirds, but the beginning of his NHL career is here. The Winnipeg Jets selected the left-handed defenseman out of Kholstovo, Belarus with their 3rd round pick (#82 overall) in the 2021 NHL Draft on Saturday.

From 2020: Belarus native Dmitry Kuzmin commits to Flint – Flint Firebirds

I am not doubting the quality of the team- they should be a great team with Othmann likely coming back they should be competitive. However, they have key departures in Dellandrea, Kolyachonok, Oksentyuk, Keppen, McCourt, Wismer, Durham, and Roberts, meaning much of their core won't be returning.

They also are quite frankly one of the least-inspiring teams from a CHL development standpoint. Dellandrea and Kolyachonok were ranked so high in their draft years because of the thought of them away from the team, not that they were your average CHL prospect. I don't want Kuzmin going there because he's someone who frankly comes from a pretty unstable path when it comes to development of their young, and I don't think this is unreasonable as there's a pre-established history of smaller country players going to the CHL and smoking out, due to improper structure for their development. Flint alone can hardly say they've developed their own talent, as Othmann (who is the most impressive player they've had) spent arguably his most important year overseas.

I would be saying this if he was going to Owen Sound, Sudbury or North Bay. There's just specific teams I don't want my prospects on.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I am not doubting the quality of the team- they should be a great team with Othmann likely coming back they should be competitive. However, they have key departures in Dellandrea, Kolyachonok, Oksentyuk, Keppen, McCourt, Wismer, Durham, and Roberts, meaning much of their core won't be returning.

They also are quite frankly one of the least-inspiring teams from a CHL development standpoint. Dellandrea and Kolyachonok were ranked so high in their draft years because of the thought of them away from the team, not that they were your average CHL prospect. I don't want Kuzmin going there because he's someone who frankly comes from a pretty unstable path when it comes to development of their young, and I don't think this is unreasonable as there's a pre-established history of smaller country players going to the CHL and smoking out, due to improper structure for their development. Flint alone can hardly say they've developed their own talent, as Othmann (who is the most impressive player they've had) spent arguably his most important year overseas.

I would be saying this if he was going to Owen Sound, Sudbury or North Bay. There's just specific teams I don't want my prospects on.

Sure -- Flint aren't really a team I follow, so I can't comment on how they're run overall or how they develop prospects, just posting what I've heard recently on Kuzmin, which isn't much. Agree that Sudbury or NB might be a better option -- I guess he could find himself traded or moved over at some point.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Kuzmin is listed on the Flint pre-season roster... apparently their training camp opened yesterday.

upload_2021-8-30_22-51-3.png

Reactions: surixon

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If kuzmin takes the scenic route as stanley did!

-2 years after draft in C,H.L
- 2 years learning with the Moose
- last ELC year with spit duty in the NHL year

Kuzmin guaranteed for WJC participation if Belarus makes the tourny over the next 2 years though.

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB

Thanks to AavcoCup for the screenshots. I think Heinola needs to play this season or else he will continue to slip in the mind of our organization (and others if we intend to trade him).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Thanks to AavcoCup for the screenshots. I think Heinola needs to play this season or else he will continue to slip in the mind of our organization (and others if we intend to trade him).

I don't think Pronman has a clue how to evaluate skating based on what I've read over the years. Seems that all he cares about is top speed. Heinola and Cole have always had extremely good agility which imo is far more important then top speed.

After Cole's summer of training and Ville's continued improvement neither has any issue with their top speed either.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Also, don't drink the water, Dmitry. :nod:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
As posted above, the Jets are down a few spots to #20. As expected, Perfetti, Heinola and Lucius rank high on this list as potential difference-makers. Here's a direct link, since I'm not sure about the site rules for posting screenshots, and have been chastised here before for posting links to AC's feed:

NHL Pipeline Rankings: No. 20 Winnipeg Jets have difference-makers ahead with Cole Perfetti and more

With the graduation of Pierre-Luc Dubois and the trade of Patrik Laine, Winnipeg’s U23 group is largely outside the NHL now. I like Cole Perfetti, Chaz Lucius and Ville Heinola a lot as prospects. And the Jets have several other intriguing names such as second-round picks Nikita Chibrikov, Dylan Samberg and David Gustafsson. But they’re still likely as a group several years away from making a meaningful difference for the Jets.

Key graduates: Pierre-Luc Dubois, Logan Stanley
Key additions: Chaz Lucius, Nikita Chribrikov
Key subtraction: Patrik Laine
2020 Ranking: No. 16
2021 NHL Draft grade: B-

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Rankings based on how many prospects you have is a bad idea IMO. I mean if the Jets had 30+ picks in the last 4 drafts I have no doubt we would be ranked high.

I think for how many picks we have had we are doing very well. We have I think 10 legit prospects that will play in the NHL. Some orgs will be luck to get 3 or 4

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't think Pronman has a clue how to evaluate skating based on what I've read over the years. Seems that all he cares about is top speed. Heinola and Cole have always had extremely good agility which imo is far more important then top speed.

After Cole's summer of training and Ville's continued improvement neither has any issue with their top speed either.
Also, Perfetti has excellent balance with a very solid base, and is able to maintain puck control through physical contact. That is an important attribute for a player like Perfetti.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also, Perfetti has excellent balance with a very solid base, and is able to maintain puck control through physical contact. That is an important attribute for a player like Perfetti.

Exactly, you wonder just how much of Cole he's watched. He was hard to knock off the puck as a young 19 year old rookie pro. Just imagine where he will be in another couple of years.

Also some center.... he played pretty much exclusively in that position on the Moose.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

disagree with his top 3, but i think his write ups for both perfetti and heinola are both fine. mentions heinola is agile and can maneuver well which i think hes always been above-average in in-comparison to his top-speed. and how perfetti faired well in skating/not being pushed around in the AHL. I have heinola as my top prospect on the Jets and perfetti 2nd. but nbd.
nice to see gus get top-5, i have him in my top-5 and ahead of samberg as well

he literally says heinola has great edge work, quickness and maneuverability. and perfetti is strong on his skates and didnt get pushed around

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
disagree with his top 3, but i think his write ups for both perfetti and heinola are both fine. mentions heinola is agile and can maneuver well which i think hes always been above-average in in-comparison to his top-speed. and how perfetti faired well in skating/not being pushed around in the AHL. I have heinola as my top prospect on the Jets and perfetti 2nd. but nbd.
nice to see gus get top-5, i have him in my top-5 and ahead of samberg as well

he literally says heinola has great edge work, quickness and maneuverability. and perfetti is strong on his skates and didnt get pushed around

Only took him 3 years to pick up on his edge work after ranking him a poor skater for a number of years which was blatantly false.

Sorry but I really have little time for Pronman and his scouting takes. He's been way off too often over the years and him cluing in on things most pointed out years earlier isn't a ringing endorsement.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Only took him 3 years to pick up on his edge work after ranking him a poor skater for a number of years which was blatantly false.
may 2019

However, he has limitations that may hinder him as he progresses. His size is obvious but his skating is also a minor concern. His stride breaks down when he gets going in a straight line, which is worrisome in a 5-foot-11 defender. I like his edges a lot, with Heinola showing a powerful burst on his first few steps to balance out the stride issue somewhat.

seems to me u have some bone to pick or something.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
may 2019

seems to me u have some bone to pick or something.

Still ranked his skating below average which was a terrible take.

Yeah I don't like how assesses prospects and apparently neither do most teams as he's often way off on his draft projections.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Still ranked his skating below average which was a terrible take.

Yeah I don't like how assesses prospects and apparently neither do most teams as he's often way off on his draft projections.
lots of scouts have had that opinion on heinola. regardless, it's eye test and everyone has some sort of bias. perhaps he weights more to speed, or puck-carrying. who knows. regardless, what you said agility and edgework is wrong.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
lots of scouts have had that opinion on heinola. regardless, it's eye test and everyone has some sort of bias. perhaps he weights more to speed, or puck-carrying. who knows. regardless, what you said agility and edgework is wrong.

Fair enough I remembered incorrectly. Still dont agree at all with his take on all around skating rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad