Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Thin on forward based on the Moose, doesn't include our overseas prospects, NCAA prospects, and CHL prospects. Our prospect pool has always been and continues to be much stronger at forward than defense. I also feel that the biggest problems on our defense all stem from lack of puck moving ability. Heinola's puck moving ability has a lot more value to us than size.

That's a real fair argument. Especially the puck moving element. But it's safe to say that Morrissey and Pionk are here to stay. And those guys aren't too bad at moving the puck. We saw Stanley could stretch the ice. I look at the way teams have been winning of late, and it's with big defenses. Tampa, St. Louis, Washington, teams that could close space off with physicality. But could also move the puck effectively. I don't think that Morrissey, Pionk, Heinola, De Melo have quite the same physical impact as Hedman, Mc Donaugh, Sergachev, Cernak, which we saw for consecutive years. We can try to win with the Pittsburgh and Chicago model of success, as things do go in cycles, but I am not convinced Heinola has a spot to win for awhile. For one Pionk is not a very good PKer, but an above average puck mover, so for Heinola I think he'd need to become a reliable PKer, at least in a reserve role to get a spot, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him get reps on the Moose over the next season. Then there is still the issue of taking PP time from the A on defense. Maybe if both Stastny and Copp go and only Perfetti replaces one, there is room for a 3rd d-man on the PP, but there is still the option of Stanley, who has shown the best point shot of any of our d-men.

I don't feel like there is a dearth of prospective depth at forward. Attrition will eventually promote all of Perfetti, Vesalainen and Gustafsson, conceivably by next season (some already this season).

After that you have Lucius, with high end potential, to replace Wheeler, a guy like Chibrikov, who may never leave Russia, Torgersson who is a potential bottom six winger, Nikkanen, who has chosen to stay overseas, and probably stunt his transition, and also far from a guarantee to be an NHLer. Nathan Smith has some potential, but is closing in on being a UFA out of college, unsigned. Harrison Blaisdell might have 4th line potential. I'm not sure we see any of those guys on the Moose by next season, which is the next step, hoping we do though.

Contrary to that you have Kovacevic who probably graduates to the big club next year as a 6/7. Heinola (top 4 potential), Samberg (top 4 potential), Chisholm is highly rated, (should be an NHLer in his development), Lundmark is an unknown, but a likely NHLer by the end of his development, then there are still Johannesson (puck mover), and Kuzmin. Seems like there is more certainty in the NHL potential of our defensive prospects, as most of them are already in the process or beginning it?

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Nikkanen, Torgersson, Rashevsky, Chibrikov, all playing preseason today. All kept off the scoreboard with Torgersson being the only one still playing.

No points for Torgersson, played as the 13th forward.

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Forgot Virtanen had moved teams.

He's played 2 preseason games as the 3LW. He has 1 powerplay assist.

Reactions: kellhunter

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
When I look at the Moose roster, the Jets may only have 2 drafted forwards in their lineup this year (Perfetti and Suess), as opposed to 7 on defense (Heinola, Samberg, Kovacevic, Chisholm, Lundmark, Nogier, Gawanke). The way the Jets roster is currently constructed, there isn't an opening on defense for years to come (though I think Schmidt is a rental who will be traded for a greater value, after a good season), so at some point I'd expect Chevy to pull the trigger on a young defenseman for young forward trade. Heinola for Seth Jarvis?
Seth Jarvis yes please.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
What is stopping Kovacevic from getting a callup?

Pretty much his waiver eligibility, 2 way contract and the NHL depth ahead of him in Schmidt, Pionk, DeMelo and possibly Beauliu/Niku if we don't want to lose them to waivers.

I would think with the season he had last year, if a Right d goes down he's likely to draw in ahead of Niku because he can PK. They did play Beaulieu on the right side some last year so they may try that too. Maybe if Heinola is playing on the right side for the Moose maybe he gets a call too.

I think with the dollars invested and acquisition of Schmidt/Pionk/DeMelo it will take an injury for him to even be considered.

It will be better for his development to be playing top pair for the Moose and let Beaulieu/Niku be pressbox fodder until such time as he's going to draw in.

Before we got Schmidt I thought he might lock down that third Right D spot in camp, now I can't really see that happening.

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Finally got to watch some video on Dmitri Rashevsky.

I know the highlights I watched were against lower tier competition (I think) and that he is an overager but wow this guy can dangle.

Anyone have more info/video of this guy.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad