Prospect Info: Jets Prospects

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Laine PP replacement?

That's probably a little on the optimistic side. I'd hope he could be a potential Roslovic replacement. As a C/RW. He's 52.7 in the circle this season. At 22 years old though he's behind Jack's development curve, and a year behind Appleton's. He'd be a player that I would like to see with Perfetti on the Moose this year, once the college season ends.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That's probably a little on the optimistic side. I'd hope he could be a potential Roslovic replacement. As a C/RW. He's 52.7 in the circle this season. At 22 years old though he's behind Jack's development curve, and a year behind Appleton's. He'd be a player that I would like to see with Perfetti on the Moose this year, once the college season ends.
What are the chances he turns pro after this year?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
What are the chances he turns pro after this year?

I'm not an insider so I couldn't tell you. Seems like a good year to turn pro, though, with so much financial uncertainty in the world, and Covid wreaking havoc with the NCAA as well.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Jets move up 7 spots to 16th in Wheeler's Prospect Pool Rankings this year: Wheeler’s 2021 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 16 Winnipeg Jets

Here's a comparison of our last prospect poll vs. Wheeler's rankings.

RankHFJetsWheeler
1PerfettiPerfetti
2HeinolaHeinola
3SambergSamberg
4HarkinsGustafsson
5VesalainenBerdin
6GustafssonVesalainen
7 ChisholmChisholm
8 BerdinJohannesson
9 NikuGawanke
10GawankeTorgersson
11NikkanenStanley
12TorgerssonNikkanen
13KovacevicSmith
14HolmHolm
15StanleyLundmark
16SmithN/A
17JohannessonN/A
18LundmarkN/A
19BlaisdellN/A
20LuotuN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Many are close. The biggest disagreement is on Johannesson (us: 17, Wheeler: 8) - 18 year old, 5'9" defenseman from Sweden who hasn't played this year. He didn't consider Harkins and Niku prospects I reckon.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Jets move up 7 spots to 16th in Wheeler's Prospect Pool Rankings this year: Wheeler’s 2021 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 16 Winnipeg Jets

RankHFJetsWheeler
1PerfettiPerfetti
2HeinolaHeinola
3SambergSamberg
4HarkinsGustafsson
5VesalainenBerdin
6GustafssonVesalainen
7 ChisholmChisholm
8 BerdinJohannesson
9 NikuGawanke
10GawankeTorgersson
11NikkanenStanley
12TorgerssonNikkanen
13KovacevicSmith
14HolmHolm
15StanleyLundmark
16SmithN/A
17JohannessonN/A
18LundmarkN/A
19BlaisdellN/A
20LuotuN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Many are close. The biggest disagreement is on Johannesson (us: 17, Wheeler: 8) - 18 year old, 5'9" defenseman from Sweden who hasn't played this year. He didn't consider Harkins and Niku prospects I reckon.
Encouraging re: Johanneson.

I think both this board and Wheeler are sleeping on Ves. He looked good last game and I think he can become a solid, physical, middle six power forward for us.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I think both this board and Wheeler are sleeping on Ves. He looked good last game and I think he can become a solid, physical, middle six power forward for us.
Vesalainen is 4th on our board if Harkins is no longer considered a prospect. Does he leapfrog any of the Top 3?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Vesalainen is 4th on our board if Harkins is no longer considered a prospect. Does he leapfrog any of the Top 3?
Hmm, good point, definitely not. I’d put him ahead of Harkins regardless though, although I really like Harkins’s game.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I don't know who Scott Wheeler is but I don't think he has insider information if Johanneson is in his top 10. Maybe he scoured the boards, or saw a twitter feed. Kid hasn't even played a game this year. Didn't make the Swedish U20 team. If he was a can't miss prospect he'd be in the SEL. Lundmark has been in the SEL since his draft year.

Button had Lundmark in our top 10. I'd be more inclined to believe him. And it seems like Stanley should be back in the top 10 again?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't know who Scott Wheeler is but I don't think he has insider information if Johanneson is in his top 10. Maybe he scoured the boards, or saw a twitter feed. Kid hasn't even played a game this year. Didn't make the Swedish U20 team. If he was a can't miss prospect he'd be in the SEL. Lundmark has been in the SEL since his draft year.

Button had Lundmark in our top 10. I'd be more inclined to believe him. And it seems like Stanley should be back in the top 10 again?
Isn’t Johanneson a boom/bust type of prospect? If he is, maybe this Wheeler folk is just ranking him based on his potential and not the actual likelihood he’ll make it.

Stanley should absolutely be top 10 but he might not be a prospect for much longer.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I don't know why you would find his opinion of Johannesson encouraging. He started the year as a very long shot, IMO. Since he hasn't played a game this year there is no reason to change that.

I'm not familiar with Wheeler. Is he some kind of prospect savant? Does he have a particularly good track record?

Reactions: hn777

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I don't know why you would find his opinion of Johannesson encouraging. He started the year as a very long shot, IMO. Since he hasn't played a game this year there is no reason to change that.

I'm not familiar with Wheeler. Is he some kind of prospect savant? Does he have a particularly good track record?
I don’t know who Wheeler is either, I just assumed his opinion had merit since it’s in this thread.

It’s encouraging that he has him in his top ten.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don’t know who Wheeler is either, I just assumed his opinion had merit since it’s in this thread.

I guess that is one way to look at it. OTOH, it might mean that he only sees us having 7 good prospects. Or it could mean that his opinion is suspect.

Why isn't Johannesson playing? Is he injured? He doesn't appear to have played a lot the last couple of years either. He might just not be durable enough.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I guess that is one way to look at it. OTOH, it might mean that he only sees us having 7 good prospects. Or it could mean that his opinion is suspect.

Why isn't Johannesson playing? Is he injured? He doesn't appear to have played a lot the last couple of years either. He might just not be durable enough.
I’m trying to take a glass half-full approach, here. :nod:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Still finding it hard to believe in Stanley. :laugh:
Not that I doubt what he has done so far. I just completely dismissed him after last year. I thought he had finally confirmed my lowest expectations.

We don't particularly need a 3LD. But if we can have a 3LD who is 6'7 and defensively sound, I welcome that size. I'm sure opponents find him somewhat intimidating. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid or start having opponents skate rings around him, I'm happy.

I see he and KVes are back on the taxi squad. It is a little bit of cap saved that may be useful some time. Every little bit helps.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

He had surgery on his foot and was still recovering when the J20 Nationell league in Sweden cancelled their season in November. So probably no hockey until...the fall?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He had surgery on his foot and was still recovering when the J20 Nationell league in Sweden cancelled their season in November. So probably no hockey until...the fall?

What about the previous couple of years? Is there a pattern of injury there or does it just look that way?

I think he was a great long shot pick where he was taken. He has some potential. I don't see rating him that highly based on some iffy potential though.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

RankHFJetsWheeler
1PerfettiPerfetti
2HeinolaHeinola
3SambergSamberg
4HarkinsGustafsson
5VesalainenBerdin
6GustafssonVesalainen
7 ChisholmChisholm
8 BerdinJohannesson
9 NikuGawanke
10GawankeTorgersson
11NikkanenStanley
12TorgerssonNikkanen
13KovacevicSmith
14HolmHolm
15StanleyLundmark
16SmithN/A
17JohannessonN/A
18LundmarkN/A
19BlaisdellN/A
20LuotuN/A
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Good article. Thoughtful notes on each player, and some nice video clips.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

I mean, it has as much merit as any publicly available scouting report. He takes good notes, but the actual ranking as super subjective - same here as anywhere else.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Still finding it hard to believe in Stanley. :laugh:
Not that I doubt what he has done so far. I just completely dismissed him after last year. I thought he had finally confirmed my lowest expectations.

We don't particularly need a 3LD. But if we can have a 3LD who is 6'7 and defensively sound, I welcome that size. I'm sure opponents find him somewhat intimidating. As long as he doesn't do anything stupid or start having opponents skate rings around him, I'm happy.

I see he and KVes are back on the taxi squad. It is a little bit of cap saved that may be useful some time. Every little bit helps.

Even if he is just a 3rd pairing D, I'd gladly take that considering how much of long shot to succeed in the NHL that many of us thought he was. A guy like him even if he is just a 3rd pairing guy has a decent trade market so he could be moved for something decent if needed.

Color me as one of the people also impressed with Stanley so far. Yeah he has been given sheltered minutes but there are other guys who get a sheltered deployment and don't make much of it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Nathan Smith added 2 more assists on Sunday. He now has 12 points in 11 games, sporting a +5. Though it should be noted that both of his goals and 8 of his points have come on the PP this year.
I'm glad he's producing, but I keep hoping for more. He's in his 21 YO season, and he turned 22 in October.

For comparison sake, Copp, Appleton and Foley (crazy that he hasn't played after that concussion) all turned pro after their 20 YO seasons.

Appleton and Foley were clearly the best players on their teams at that age, and led their teams in scoring too. Copp was 3rd in scoring on an absolutely stacked Michigan squad. Zach Hyman and Dylan Larkin scored more, but he outperformed the likes of Tyler Motte, Boo Nieces, Zach Werenski and JT Compher.

Nathan Smith is tracking closer to CJ Seuss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad