Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I agree. It wasn’t long ago many of us around here were bullish on Kostalek as a future PMD after a successful QMJHL career. Once he made it to the AHL he couldn’t get anything going in either end of the ice. Gawanke’s offensive output is impressive especially in context of current comparables:

Current AHL PPG, Under 21:
1. Keane 0.66
2. Sandin 0.63
3. Liljegren 0.63
4. Gawanke 0.59
5. Bouchard 0.55
6. Seider 0.43
7. Alexeyev 0.41

I’m not implying the numbers make him better than any of those prospects but it’s extremely encouraging that he hasn’t lost that part of his game on a Moose team that has a lot of options on the back end.

Let’s hope the Moose staff can improve his defensive skills over the next couple seasons without sacrificing his offensive output.

IIRC, Kostalek was lazy and just not in good enough shape.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
thoughts on vallati and lundmark?

I was very encouraged by Valatti's performance last season. This year, not so much. I wonder how much usage is affecting him. I think Lundmark could be a bit of an under the radar good prospect. Get him playing for the Moose next year and get a better idea.

Reactions: neelynugs

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I’m going a bit off the board and betting on some players that I think have higher end potential and could really climb up the list soon.

Heinola.
Samberg
Niku
Vesalainen.
Nathan Smith.
Berdin.
Nikkanen.
Gustafsson
Blaisdel
Chisholm

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Logjam on Defence,..... going to get tighter this fall and next spring..... especially on the Left side.

Best D prospects on LD Samberg,Henoila,Niku, Stanley,Chisholm,Vallati

Rd ...Kovecevic Gawanke,Nogier,Green,(Lundmark?LD)

We have to sign Sam-Berg and Chisholm this spring.......Sam-Berg by Aug 15 2021..... but if he does not sign by then.......(chicken little).

we probably do not sign Vallati due to our depth at LD....

Best case Senerio Sam-Berg/Niku /Henoila all ply great and advance to NHL next year...Niku on the offside RD.....if/when Buff does not return we sign Hamonic (RD)(UFA) on July 1st

next year....

Morresay.....Hamonic
Sam-Berg.....Pionk
Henoila......Poolman
Niku ....xxxNHL 5-6-7 vet D man

Moose

Stanley ....Kovecevic
Chisholm..... Gawanke
Vallati ......Nogier
Xxxxxx.....Green

Jettisoned...... Kullikov/Schilling/Plus most of our Ufas

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Recalling Niku would fix the scratching issue
I think Niku is done with the Jets organization after this season. He’ll either be back in Europe or traded for an AHL level player. I would not be surprised if he never plays another game for the Jets.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Niku is done with the Jets organization after this season. He’ll either be back in Europe or traded for an AHL level player. I would not be surprised if he never plays another game for the Jets.
I think he’s recalled this year and plays lots. He’ll be a Jet regular next season, would have been all year this year but string of three injuries dictated his fate.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I think he’s recalled this year and plays lots. He’ll be a Jet regular next season, would have been all year this year but string of three injuries dictated his fate.
Maybe if there is a coaching change before seasons end, but Maurice clearly has no interest in him and I can’t see him re-signing with the Jets if he’s stuck in the AHL.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe if there is a coaching change before seasons end, but Maurice clearly has no interest in him and I can’t see him re-signing with the Jets if he’s stuck in the AHL.
You don’t give a guy a regular nhl number (#8) if you have no intention of him playing any nhl games. Don’t you think those injuries have anything to do with the start of his season?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

He's managed to be healthy enough to play 17 games for the Moose this year. There have been times when it would have been appropriate to recall Niku but it wasn't done. Maurice hasn't shown much enthusiasm for Niku when he was healthy.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
He's managed to be healthy enough to play 17 games for the Moose this year. There have been times when it would have been appropriate to recall Niku but it wasn't done. Maurice hasn't shown much enthusiasm for Niku when he was healthy.
Was it 17 in a row? Was he 100% healthy with that injury? They were letting him play lots and get that confidence up and he got hurt again. At the same time the plugs on D we picked up took us on a winning streak. No different than Mau leaving Luoto in lineup when we were winning when he had better options in Harkins, Chibisov, Griffith, etc. Knowing Luoto stinks but didn’t wanna change winning lineup.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Was it 17 in a row? Was he 100% healthy with that injury? They were letting him play lots and get that confidence up and he got hurt again. At the same time the plugs on D we picked up took us on a winning streak. No different than Mau leading Luoto in lineup when we were winning when he had better options in Harkins, Chibisov, Griffith, etc.

I don't know how many in a row it was at any one time. I think he was playing for the Moose when we picked up Dahlstrom. Not sure. He had played 4-5 Moose games at a time when Potato was playing badly. He should have been called up then.

Is Maurice superstitious about changing a lineup when he is winning only because his goalie is standing on his head? Can a coach afford superstitions like that?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
You don’t give a guy a regular nhl number (#8) if you have no intention of him playing any nhl games. Don’t you think those injuries have anything to do with the start of his season?
You can’t send down an injured player, so he must have been healthy when he was sent down. The only "reports" of injuries being a factor were pure speculation from local media figures who rarely question the teams decision making.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
You can’t send down an injured player, so he must have been healthy when he was sent down. The only "reports" of injuries being a factor were pure speculation from local media figures who rarely question the teams decision making.
He got in a car accident. Missed all of camp. He was initially sent down to make up on time missed, conditioning type of stint. He doesn’t get in that accident and plays all camp he sticks is my guess.

Reactions: The Big M

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Then he will be playing in Europe. He will be a RFA without arbitration rights. More likely at some point he gets his opportunity and we will see what he does with it.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He got in a car accident. Missed all of camp. He was initially sent down to make up on time missed, conditioning type of stint. He doesn’t get in that accident and plays all camp he sticks is my guess.

Then why was he not called up after he had played 4-5 games for the Moose? He was playing well.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I said why above. Mau sticks with winning lineups. He liked our patch work Ds that weren’t that good but played hard and were winning.

We were winning on goaltending. The D was worse then than it is now. Bitetto was truly bad early in the season. We didn't have Sbisa yet. Beaulieu was injured. Geez, I write that and I can't remember who we had actually playing. :laugh: Sticking with a winning lineup when it has such obvious flaws and available fixes can only be attributed to superstition because there is no logic there. Such superstition from an NHL coach would be incredible. Beyond incredible, unimaginable.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Samberg with another couple of assists over the past couple of games. He doesn't have any goals yet this season, but he's putting a lot of shots on goal and is at around 0.79 points/game in a very tough division. I think he'll be ready to jump straight into an NHL line-up later this season or next season.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Samberg with another couple of assists over the past couple of games. He doesn't have any goals yet this season, but he's putting a lot of shots on goal and is at around 0.79 points/game in a very tough division. I think he'll be ready to jump straight into an NHL line-up later this season or next season.
This is the prospect I will gladly be wrong about, I liked the pick but never thought he’d improve so much since his draft year and thought he would need time to adjust in college. He is such a good shut down D and we can put our second round failing theroy to rest after selecting him and Gus.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
This is the prospect I will gladly be wrong about, I liked the pick but never thought he’d improve so much since his draft year and thought he would need time to adjust in college. He is such a good shut down D and we can put our second round failing theroy to rest after selecting him and Gus.
Maybe even with Harkins now, and the Petan pick was still the right pick, even if it didn't work out.

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad