Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, nobody really does; but based upon what he has said in some pressers, Maurice appears to believe that the team reversed it`s direction and started a sustained climb coincident with, and BECAUSE of, the arrival of Sbisa.:thumbd: This simply re-inforced his view that the team needed more physical grittier players on D in order to succeed - a bias confirmation if you will. Niku does not bring this element and will likely be brought up (in other than an injury situation) only when the organization feel he is ready to make the step into a top 4 position.

My gut feeling is that that will take too long. I think that if he is not a regular with the Jets this year, he will go to Europe next year. I know I certainly would if I was in his shoes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Never seen you so irrational on here. Probably up tomorrow.

:laugh: Just the vibe I've got from Maurice re: Niku. It started last season actually. I'll be happy to be wrong when/if Maurice brings him up and gives him a good chance.

Then I just hope I am not wrong about how good Niku can be. :)

Reactions: Mbraunm

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, you did pretty much say that it "stinks" of superstition, and you asked rhetorically if it was okay for a coach to make decisions based on superstition.

I think the Jets feel that Niku's development needs a bit more work, and maybe a bit of a reality check that he still needs to be more focused on defense when he doesn't have the puck. I'm the first to be after Maurice for playing Sbisa, Bitetto and even Beaulieu, and his previous penchant for playing vets. But I don't think the decision vis-a-vis Niku is based on "superstition". It might have been to keep a winning line-up together. It might even have been to help the Jets save a bit of cash. But I think it was also to get Niku playing at a level that would keep him in the NHL long term. That meant getting him healthy, in shape, and playing consistently defensively. Imagine the scenario where you bring in Niku and replace another D in a winning line-up and they start losing and Niku is struggling defensively. That would be a worst case scenario for Niku's development and positioning with the team.
Good post, took the words right out of my mouth.

Reactions: ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
My gut feeling is that that will take too long. I think that if he is not a regular with the Jets this year, he will go to Europe next year. I know I certainly would if I was in his shoes.
Why go to Europe and make a couple hundred grand when the NHL has a system in place for redistributing players after their ELC? Lets say Jets offer him nothing more than a qualifying offer and he accepts he will still make significantly more than in Europe. At that point the Jets would either have to keep him on the roster or waive him and allow 30 other teams the opportunity to claim him and play in the NHL.

Reactions: Gm0ney

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Why go to Europe and make a couple hundred grand when the NHL has a system in place for redistributing players after their ELC? Lets say Jets offer him nothing more than a qualifying offer and he accepts he will still make significantly more than in Europe. At that point the Jets would either have to keep him on the roster or waive him and allow 30 other teams the opportunity to claim him and play in the NHL.
can you not qualify someone and offer them a 2 way contract. I think you can. plus does a player except a qualifying offer I don't think so they are qualified or they are not. I think he will be qualified but i'm not sure if it will be a 1 way or a 2 way. my guess is the keep him in the pb next year and expose him in the expansion draft if they don't trade him by then.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That's a point. If he is good enough for the NHL but needs another organization, he would probably get it.

I don't know what he could make in Europe though. He could be a star there. Liiga might not pay that well but top KHL players get real money. Depends on how well he could perform there.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That's a point. If he is good enough for the NHL but needs another organization, he would probably get it.

I don't know what he could make in Europe though. He could be a star there. Liiga might not pay that well but top KHL players get real money. Depends on how well he could perform there.
But he is very unlikely to be able to command anything close to NHL money in any other league at this point in his career. No doubt he will get an opportunity if he went back to Europe but I would strongly suspect he would have to prove himself to get paid well. For next season the KHL has a hard cap of $900,000,000 rubles or approx $14.5 M US. Even if you account for only a 20 player roster that would be an average salary of $725,000 significantly below Niku's NHL qualifying offer amount of $882,000. I would guess Niku would get well below the KHL average based on his resume.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I would be surprised and dismayed if Niku were not in the Jets lineup by the end of this month, barring another injury. There is no point in considering a trade before we give him an opportunity to establish his value in the NHL.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I though Heinola looked great today. He has really stepped it up at the WJC since game 1
Completely agree. He's very smart and is using his mobility to cut off space and time for opponents and to carry the puck into and through the neutral zone. One aspect of his game that's very noticeable is that he's very aggressive in his gap control.

Reactions: kellhunter

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Completely agree. He's very smart and is using his mobility to cut off space and time for opponents and to carry the puck into and through the neutral zone. One aspect of his game that's very noticeable is that he's very aggressive in his gap control.

Didn’t catch much of today’s game. Who was he partnered up with? Hopefully not Honka

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Was at the moose game tonight. Had some thoughts on some players:

- Vesalainen had a nice game. You can see he's picking up the pace and playing with some more urgency. I think he's doing the best with who he is playing with. Doesn't really have the supporting cast around him, IMO. Played with a physical edge. They need to utilize him on the opposite side for PP to open up the one timer. Running thru RHD like Jets in Laine's spot so forces him to take the split section to receive on backhand and get on forehand.

- Gawanke was really cool to watch. He made this ridiculous backhand sauce off the toe of his stick that blew my mind. If you were to ask me who was the first rounder on our D Corps, it would have been him. His skating is still needing improvement but he looks like a future NHLer IMO. He anchors the PP and does a great job distributing the puck.

- Stanley looked okay. Carried water but just doesn't look right. Seems a step behind. Seemed to be fighting the puck a bit. He seemed to have a good first pass, though.

- Kovacevic had a quiet night in a good way. I think he just needs to build strength and work on his skating a bit. Also needs to win more board battles. Seemed to get out worked a bit but otherwise looked good

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
I was at the UND vs. Alabama-Huntsville game last night. UND was dominant. Blaisdell was playing on the 3rd line - left hand shot playing some RW. He doesn't play the power play. I'd guess he played about 10 minutes last night. He didn't really distinguish himself but didn't make any glaring mistakes either. He seems to have some good hustle and not afraid to get to the dirty areas. Tucker Poolman's brother Colton is the captain and a senior. He might get an NHL contract when this season is finished.

Reactions: ps241 and hn777

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Good to see KVes making progress in the AHL. It's a tough league to adapt to because there is a lot of chaos and often linemates don't play a skilled game, so a lot of skilled players need to simplify. I think he's going to develop into a good power forward with size and speed and a great shot. If he develops a consistent work ethic he'll be a very nice option for the Jets' 3rd line by next year.

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
TSN's Craig Button lists the Jets' top 5 prospects as: Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, Harkins, Berdin

Should Chisholm really be that high? I think I'd still have Vesalainen in the top 5.

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Whileee

May 29, 2010
TSN's Craig Button lists the Jets' top 5 prospects as: Heinola, Samberg, Chisholm, Harkins, Berdin

Should Chisholm really be that high? I think I'd still have Vesalainen in the top 5.
Harkins is a nice story, but no way I'd put him above KVes at this stage, looking at their ages and trajectories. I also think Chisholm is a bit high.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Harkins is a nice story, but no way I'd put him above KVes at this stage, looking at their ages and trajectories. I also think Chisholm is a bit high.

Agreed, after a slow start ves is really starting to come on. Harkins is a couple of years older.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad