Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm not sure how to feel about Dylan's season so far and what to hope for going forward. On the one hand, Dylan has been a solid player with 6 assists in 8 games, playing in all situations. The team is okay this year, but not the favorite they were prior to the season starting. Currently (5-4-1) .

I guess I'm kind of hoping Dylan continues to perform as he is, but maybe have the team be less successful than previous years. With the Winnipeg Jets always first and foremost in my mind, it may not be the worst thing if UMD kinda craps out this year. This may push him towards a signing with the Jets as opposed to shining to brightly in the post season and expanding his options.

Hoping he is Jet before our year is done!

UMD doing poorly might just mean unfinished business for Samberg. Nobody wants to go out on a low note. He'll want to play his final year to try for that 3rd championship, and when that is done, hey might as well see what free agency can get him. And yes, I can put a negative spin on anything. :nod:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
UMD doing poorly might just mean unfinished business for Samberg. Nobody wants to go out on a low note. He'll want to play his final year to try for that 3rd championship, and when that is done, hey might as well see what free agency can get him. And yes, I can put a negative spin on anything. :nod:
Aren't his choices play for us or wait until next year to sign with someone else?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

He has two national championships under his belt and is back to finish his degree this year. He has zero need to go back next year. Time to start making cake next season with the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Problem is free agency for a player going into their ELC really can't get you anything extra as the salary and bonus structure is league mandated and teams have no ability to go past it. By not signing with the Jets Samberg would actually take a significant financial hit, as no other team could set up the conditions for him to get 2 signing bonuses within a 3 month period, burn a ELC year by playing a single game and get the gravy of a NHL pay check or 2 in-between. Add in he is apparently a close knit family kid, and mom and dad are a 5 hour car ride from home games.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Problem is free agency for a player going into their ELC really can't get you anything extra as the salary and bonus structure is league mandated and teams have no ability to go past it. By not signing with the Jets Samberg would actually take a significant financial hit, as no other team could set up the conditions for him to get 2 signing bonuses within a 3 month period, burn a ELC year by playing a single game and get the gravy of a NHL pay check or 2 in-between. Add in he is apparently a close knit family kid, and mom and dad are a 5 hour car ride from home games.

And the Wild are even closer if family proximity wins out over the money side of it. So, here's a question for you wearing your Chevy hat. If he doesn't sign here after his season at UMD is over, do you trade his rights? I would.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And the Wild are even closer if family proximity wins out over the money side of it. So, here's a question for you wearing your Chevy hat. If he doesn't sign here after his season at UMD is over, do you trade his rights? I would.

Agreed, if you know he isn't likely to sign you trade him.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Agreed, if you know he isn't likely to sign you trade him.
The problem is, if that's his intention, he probably has a team in mind and we find ourselves limited in trade options, just like we were with Trouba.

I don't really think that's his intention, but I'm certainly not 100% confident he's a lock to sign with us either. Fingers crossed!

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
What are Samberg's playing options for next year if he does graduate this year? Does he go back to school taking doctorate classes just so he can play his senior year? Does he go to Europe for the year? I'm thinking if he does graduate, the only thing that makes sense is to sign with the Jets and play next year either as a Jet or a Moose.

Reactions: hn777

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't think any of this Samberg will-he/won't-he stuff is worth worrying about until the spring when UMD's season is over.
You're probably right but I don't know why people are worried in the 1st place. The Jets can offer him basically a 2 for 1 years on his ELC along with B2B signing bonuses which other teams can't. He gets playing in the NHL and much closer to his big boy 2nd contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

You are posing a situation that doesn't yet exist and that there is no reason to expect. As of right now there is no foundation for speculating that he is unlikely to sign here after his UMD season ends.

If he does refuse to sign at that time it is another whole different situation. I would certainly start looking for a landing place for him if that happened.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You're probably right but I don't know why people are worried in the 1st place. The Jets can offer him basically a 2 for 1 years on his ELC along with B2B signing bonuses which other teams can't. He gets playing in the NHL and much closer to his big boy 2nd contract.

People are trying to make something out of him not signing this year. Considering the circumstances, there is nothing to it. Move along folks. Nothing to see here.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Yeah I'm just saying if the UMD seasons ends and he doesn't sign with the Jets in the spring, that's time to start worrying. Right now we don't have any solid information either way...

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Two situations could help the Jets playoff run, IMO.

First, if the Buff situation gets settled and leads to either Big Buff back on the Jets blue line or his cap space is used to acquire a quality top 4 dman (preferably RH) for a playoff run, which drops Poolman to a more suitable 5/6/7 role, and

Second, should Samberg join the team late in the year and get in some games to get accustomed to late season NHL game speed. No doubt his offensive game will take time to develop in the NHL, but his defensive game may be ready to go. His size and skating ability may add some very important depth for a playoff run.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Regarding Samberg I just don't understand the logic in worrying about it. If he jets, he jets. If he Jets, he Jets. We can debate it until the cows come home but given that there's no real evidence to support either side it's mostly just talking to talk and to me that's just a waste of energy. Can't really think of anything more to say about it then I hope he signs with us.

Reactions: Rheged and JetsUK

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Regarding Samberg I just don't understand the logic in worrying about it. If he jets, he jets. If he Jets, he Jets. We can debate it until the cows come home but given that there's no real evidence to support either side it's mostly just talking to talk and to me that's just a waste of energy. Can't really think of anything more to say about it then I hope he signs with us.

Yep. Especially after the Great Poolman Angst-Fest of 2017 (or whenever). And now he's a Jets regular and a key punching-bag for our GDTs.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Yep, of course your right, but if I don't worry about this nonsense which I have no control over, I'm forced to focus on the other stuff going on in my life.
Martini and cilantro afternoon.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've thought he is our best prospect for the last two seasons. I picked him over K Ves and people thought I was nuts.
He's exactly what this team needs and will probably make the team next year out of training camp. We have enough O with Pionk and Morrissey and Heinola on his way not to mention Niku. We need a stay at home D man that can clear the net and make safe passes and smart decisions in his own zone. Any offence is icing on the cake regarding Samberg as far as I'm concerned. I think he and Buff would be dynamite but that's wishful thinking.

JMo Buff
Samberg Pionk
Heinola Niku
Poolman

I sure hope the Jets call Niku up soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad