Jets Prospects 2018-2019 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He's waiting to see if the rest of the NHL season can be salvaged. If he signs now, the contract has to be dated July 1, which means he can't play this year if the league comes back, and therefore can't burn a year of his ELC or collect a signing bonus (I think, on this last part). May as well wait until there's a final decision before eliminating that opportunity for himself. It's smart for him to wait.

That was my guess before a bunch of other players signed. What's their rush? Why is he different?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
He's waiting to see if the rest of the NHL season can be salvaged. If he signs now, the contract has to be dated July 1, which means he can't play this year if the league comes back, and therefore can't burn a year of his ELC or collect a signing bonus (I think, on this last part). May as well wait until there's a final decision before eliminating that opportunity for himself. It's smart for him to wait.
Why is that?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
That was my guess before a bunch of other players signed. What's their rush? Why is he different?
Leverage, I'm guessing. I think only some players have the leverage to sign an ELC that burns a year, I think Samburg is one of them. I don't know much about the other players that are signing, so it's hard to say if I'm right or not. But I'm guessing leverage, why take it away from yourself, even if it's only a little bit?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Why is that?
NHL announced that with the uncertainty of the season, any contract signed today cannot be for this season, can only be for next, so July 1 is the start date.
upload_2020-3-25_7-45-50.png

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Leverage, I'm guessing. I think only some players have the leverage to sign an ELC that burns a year, I think Samburg is one of them. I don't know much about the other players that are signing, so it's hard to say if I'm right or not. But I'm guessing leverage, why take it away from yourself, even if it's only a little bit?

Could be, but I think at least some of those who have signed could have got the ELC burning signing.

Still not sweating it but I would like to see him signed and remove all doubt.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because there may be no games left to play. Can't have a contract signed for games that don't happen.

That has never been a problem in the past. Teams have been able to sign NCAA players after they have been eliminated, or even after the SC has been awarded, but before July 1. They can't play any games and they can't eliminate a year of their ELC without playing, but they can still get paid a year's signing bonus.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
That has never been a problem in the past. Teams have been able to sign NCAA players after they have been eliminated, or even after the SC has been awarded, but before July 1. They can't play any games and they can't eliminate a year of their ELC without playing, but they can still get paid a year's signing bonus.
Well there's no blueprint for this, they probably just don't want the headache of having to decide whether new contracts signed are going to be able to count for this year or not as far as the term goes? Dunno man.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well there's no blueprint for this, they probably just don't want the headache of having to decide whether new contracts signed are going to be able to count for this year or not as far as the term goes? Dunno man.

I just don't see any need to have monkeyed with this situation at all. It is irrelevant to what else is happening. Players sign, but don't play until next year. Happens that way for some every year.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Update on Dylan Samberg...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200402-151631_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200402-151631_Chrome.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 11

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Meh nothing much to read into imo. Given the nature of the season maybe he is just focused on wrapping his degree up. 20 credits is a term and a few summer courses.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Meh nothing much to read into imo. Given the nature of the season maybe he is just focused on wrapping his degree up. 20 credits is a term and a few summer courses.

I would agree with exception that the rest of his UMD team has signed with their respective teams. The triple championship is all but dead. I know him and his family care about school but it may be time for Chevy to look at possible trades.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
If Samberg won't sign before next season, I think the Jets should seriously consider trading him. He's much too valuable an asset to risk losing for nothing as a free agent.

Agreed. Enough of this posturing. Chevy needs to seriously get him signed or move him. At take it or leave it offer.

Maybe he’s an elc that would be valuable to Tampa as part of a deal for Cirelli.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Could be posturing.

The only reasons I'm thinking it hasn't happened:

1) they wanna be able to use him if this season is going to be played due to poor LHD depth

2) Economically, the team could struggle to pay out the signing bonus that he would probably receive due to absolutely zero cash flow while still paying salaries.

3) School is super important and legit just wants to get a degree finished up. I'm also not sure this is an angle the reporter is trying to hammer on so he wrote it that way. He could have asked "How many credit hours do you have left?" If asked, that's not an alarming thing. If mentioned right out of the blue, then.... Might be something to it.

3) Lastly, Samberg just doesn't wanna sign here. Keep in mind, he's friends with Adam Fox and saw first hand about a kid who attempted to control where he wanted to go and was successful.

Time will tell.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Why don't the Jets make some deals with local universities to help their college players get the fourth and final year of their degrees while playing for the moose or the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad