OT: Jets Lounge: Ziggy Played Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So, how bad is the snow in Winnipeg? It just started snowing fairly earnestly in the last hour and a half or so where I am.

Heavy, wet snow but not too much really. I guess if it was fluffy it would look like more but it compacted itself down a good bit. Maybe 3-4 cm? We seemed to miss most of it as it was to the east. Thunder Bay got just hammered from what I hear.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
Heavy, wet snow but not too much really. I guess if it was fluffy it would look like more but it compacted itself down a good bit. Maybe 3-4 cm? We seemed to miss most of it as it was to the east. Thunder Bay got just hammered from what I hear.

I'm also hoping there would be one last and nice snowfall in Finland. It's good that this winter was snowy, unlike few years ago when during December, there wasn't snow at all. :laugh:

And about e-cigs, I read the link sully posted. I know that these things can blow up. I have read stories before about them. But I want to minimize that risk by using it properly and not modifying it in any way. And best way to stop smoking is to simply stop. When my parents stopped smoking about 25 years ago, they didn't have e-cigs or anything else. They simply managed to quit without needing any of these. :)

But one thing about that story, and especially from the comments...
"The bottom line: if you buy and use something that is made in China, you are taking a risk." :facepalm:

After writing this post, my computer, which has components made in China, will probably try to kill me. And when I try to call help, my phone, which says "Made in China" will finish me. And the phone charger, Made in China, will then make sure i'm dead by strangling me :D

Feels Austin Powers, man
living-dangerously.jpg

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i will admit that i watched the sex tape (not sure if it was on Gawker or another site) way back when it was posted, and it's probably one of the strangest, most awkward things i've ever watched.
you have a pro wrestler having sex with his best friend's wife. and it's being recorded...by his best friend?
I remember Hogan talking about his son during, um, activities. it was just so very odd.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
There are a lot of things I thought could have been executed better, or added. That being said, it is a blast with friends. The basic gameplay is fun and addicting.

I find the cover movement great actually. Snappy and intuitive, to me.

Things that are lacking:

- Vehicles/vehicular combat. There is none, which is disappointing. I guess in an apocalyptic New York there isn't a lot of gasoline available. But still, I would have liked to see drones even.

- Enemy variety. So far I've seen maybe six varieties of soldier. I'm not even sure if I can complain about this, because how many varieties of soldier can you really have?

- City feels very empty. It isn't really an MMO as you're not going to see other players on the street who aren't in your party. You'll see them in some of the social hubs, but that's it. As far as NPC's go the streets are very, very sparsely populated. Though I understand having thousands of division agents on the streets would be pretty silly, it would have been nice to see my instance of the world populated by a few other players.

- Bullet-spongey mobs. You're going to need to suspend your disbelief a bit, because enemies take a lot of bullets to drop, even when shooting them in the head. This is just a game-mechanic thing: in normal Tom Clancy games most enemies will drop with a short burst of fire. Not in this one - because it's essentially and MMO/loot based game that requires gear/power progression. Safe to say this is the most unrealistic Tom Clancy game ever. If realism is a must, that will bother you.

- Character customization is a bit lacking by today's standards. Basically you choose from a half dozen stock faces and then from beards, scars, hair, and accessories. There are no 'face sliders'. Also, clothing is a bit drab: basically you are choosing between one functional-looking article and another. No wacky outfits or helmets, or anything that really distinguishes one player from another at at distance.

- Not 'survivally' enough? This sounds strange but I was hoping for some survival-type elements. Scrounging for bullets, food, and gas, and medicine. Not really: your character doesn't require these things and bullets can be restocked simply by visiting a restock chest, which are infinitely full and can be found in safe zones (or even inside missions). Again, maybe not a valid complaint, just expected a different kind of game.

All really valid points.

Overall though i am really REALLY enjoying this game. A real hoot to play with friends.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Watched the big short on blue ray tonight. While not personally affected by all of that directly, movie does a good job of bringing back the anger about it all from back then.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Watched the big short on blue ray tonight. While not personally affected by all of that directly, movie does a good job of bringing back the anger about it all from back then.

I really enjoyed that movie. Thought it was written, acted, and shot really well. I was only 11 in 2007 so the movie did provide perspective that I simply didn't have as a kid.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
My friend was found dead in his apartment yesterday.
Guy who didn't like sports and still sometimes asked me "is your team winning?" because I talked few times about Jets and watching hockey.

Feels odd to know that skype will never show him online anymore.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
My friend was found dead in his apartment yesterday.
Guy who didn't like sports and still sometimes asked me "is your team winning?" because I talked few times about Jets and watching hockey.

Feels odd to know that skype will never show him online anymore.

Dude that sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Sorry to hear that F-Jet.

Spent yesterday car shopping. It's one of my favourite pastimes. I left a deposit on a 2012 Nissan Versa SL hatchback to replace my 16 year old Ranger; just waiting to see if they'll take my offer and arrange financing that makes sense. We can pay cash and buy it out right, but it may cost less in the end to finance and then pay off the loan after it becomes open in 6 months.

I also made an offer, that was declined, on a FIAT 500L. It's a sweet ride. Think of it as a giant 4-door 500 Abarth. Turbo charged with a 6 speed manual. Oh it was nice. I made a ridiculously low offer, they countered with a stupid high amount so we walked (but not before I left my phone number, because you never know). That tactic has worked successfully in the past, but the sales manager was a real dick, so I'm sure this deal is done.

My only hesitation with the Versa is no Bluetooth connection. But I can always replace the head unit later, I suppose.

I have spent the last 6 months researching and shopping and considered the Versa, Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic, Nissan Juke, and the FIAT 500L. All of which are small, tall quasi-wagons with 4 doors and manual transmissions, some even with turbo boost. The Versa won out due to the 2012 version having rock solid reliability and one of Nissan's best ever engines. The FIAT made the final cut due to the funk and cool factor, and the turbo. Of course the FIAT would be a gamble on reliability, but it was a blast to drive!

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
So, I need to vent about something here...and it's political (sort of, so if this isn't the right place for it I don't know what is...)

Back in November, a beloved MLA died on the QE II, a very busy highway outside of Calgary. He died trying to help some victims of a roll over, and don't get me wrong...it's sad that he's gone and I feel for his family.

In this horrible accident, said MLA lost certain personal effects that I guess have certain sentimental value to the family because they are not only dedicating police resource towards finding this ****, but actually closed down two lanes of the highway for six hours.

Seriously? I get that he's gone and this could help the family...but...really? Would the province or police do this for ANYONE else?

No. Of course not, that would be a giant inconvenience to everyone that uses that highway and would be a waste of time and money.

It just really grinds my gears.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
Thanks everyone.
Another sad example when King Alcohol takes control. Almost lost other friend couple months back to it, but he actually went to doctor to hear the truth, one more sip can be your last.
He said couple times that "my only target is to hit the 27-year old mark and then see what life brings". He was only 2 weeks away from hitting that goal.
If your friends are using too much alcohol, help them.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Thanks everyone.
Another sad example when King Alcohol takes control. Almost lost other friend couple months back to it, but he actually went to doctor to hear the truth, one more sip can be your last.
He said couple times that "my only target is to hit the 27-year old mark and then see what life brings". He was only 2 weeks away from hitting that goal.
If your friends are using too much alcohol, help them.

It's kind of crazy that that kind of damage can be done in such a short amount of time...but it happens all to often. You have to look no further than Rock music to see a large plethora of musicians that don't make it past 27 because of the same thing.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
It's kind of crazy that that kind of damage can be done in such a short amount of time...but it happens all to often. You have to look no further than Rock music to see a large plethora of musicians that don't make it past 27 because of the same thing.

It's sad to see how alcohol effects someone in long term. Some years ago he was smart and verbally skilled guy and very good friend. Last days he was only a shadow of his former self and called only when he was drunk or needed to borrow money.
And add some "friends" who keep offering him beers and strong booze (somebody often sold him 80% vodka) and motto "never say no for beer and booze"...:shakehead

Can't say i'm sad about what happened. More like angry that after trying to help him and hearing promises to ease up, even after hearing that our friend nearly died because of it, this happens.

I told you this would happen, but you wouldn't listen..

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Can't say i'm sad about what happened. More like angry that after trying to help him and hearing promises to ease up, even after hearing that our friend nearly died because of it, this happens.

I told you this would happen, but you wouldn't listen..

Unfortunately, addictions can be like that. Very sad. :(

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
So, I need to vent about something here...and it's political (sort of, so if this isn't the right place for it I don't know what is...)

Back in November, a beloved MLA died on the QE II, a very busy highway outside of Calgary. He died trying to help some victims of a roll over, and don't get me wrong...it's sad that he's gone and I feel for his family.

In this horrible accident, said MLA lost certain personal effects that I guess have certain sentimental value to the family because they are not only dedicating police resource towards finding this ****, but actually closed down two lanes of the highway for six hours.

Seriously? I get that he's gone and this could help the family...but...really? Would the province or police do this for ANYONE else?

No. Of course not, that would be a giant inconvenience to everyone that uses that highway and would be a waste of time and money.

It just really grinds my gears.

Because money talks sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad