OT: Jets Lounge: Ziggy Played Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Aaaand I'm on my way to my first ever day of work. Sorry sully :(

Lol its all good man. Good luck in your first day.

I have my feelers out there and am going to apply with the city of Calgary for a Emergency Communication officer job. It's basically what I did as a sig op so there is no reason I shouldn't get it.

Hoping for a little luck.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
One evening when I was smoking, i started thinking how useless this is.
Made some calculations about how much I have spent to cigarettes in 8 years.
Result: with that money, I could have bought a new car :cry:

2,5 weeks since I smoked a real cig last time, been using e-cigs now. Thought it would be more difficult. Just need to find some way to get that smell away from the car and stop the old habit about opening the car window and trying to find the pack of smokes from my pocket. :help:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

2,5 weeks since I smoked a real cig last time, been using e-cigs now. Thought it would be more difficult. Just need to find some way to get that smell away from the car and stop the old habit about opening the car window and trying to find the pack of smokes from my pocket. :help:

Good for you to switch over to ECIGS, but I'm not sure how good those are for you either.

The biggest thing I noticed when I quit smoking was the amount of time I had to spare. You burn like ten minutes of your lunch break smoking and you spend each break out smoking. It's crazy.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
Good for you to switch over to ECIGS, but I'm not sure how good those are for you either.

The biggest thing I noticed when I quit smoking was the amount of time I had to spare. You burn like ten minutes of your lunch break smoking and you spend each break out smoking. It's crazy.

Hopefully one day i stop using the ecig and get rid of this once and for all.
Funny how effective it is, my friend smoked about 2-3 packs a day, and if we spent 30 mins talking, he could smoke 3-4 cigs during that time. He's been using e-cigs for 2 months now and not a single real one during that time.
I used to smoke 1-2 packs a day, sometimes less, sometimes more, especially if i was partying somewhere. You go outside to smoke, and when you finish, someone else comes there to smoke and then you stay there and smoke another and it goes on and on and on and next day I notice that I smoked 1,5 pack of cigarettes just during one evening and night. Absolutely horrible.

Derfel*

Good stuff! I did something similar in high school - one day just realized that I spent half my paycheque on cigarettes, so I stopped right then and there in the middle of a cigarette, threw out half a pack and haven't been a smoker since (other than some social smoking in University).

But I'm afraid in 2-3 years we'll find out e-cigs are even worse for you than cigarettes, so I refuse to take that up. I just drink instead. A lot.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
Good stuff! I did something similar in high school - one day just realized that I spent half my paycheque on cigarettes, so I stopped right then and there in the middle of a cigarette, threw out half a pack and haven't been a smoker since (other than some social smoking in University).

But I'm afraid in 2-3 years we'll find out e-cigs are even worse for you than cigarettes, so I refuse to take that up. I just drink instead. A lot.

Well, when thinking about how much money I have saved during last 2,5 weeks, if I smoked about 1,5 packs per day, one pack costs 5,40€..loots of money. But that money I have spent on a beer lately so no plus effects.

Friend of mine made calculations about how much she has spent on rent during the years she has lived in rental apartments. One "F--- it, not paying rent anymore"-phone call and few days later, she walked to the bank, took a loan and bought herself an apartment.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well, when thinking about how much money I have saved during last 2,5 weeks, if I smoked about 1,5 packs per day, one pack costs 5,40€..loots of money. But that money I have spent on a beer lately so no plus effects.

Friend of mine made calculations about how much she has spent on rent during the years she has lived in rental apartments. One "F--- it, not paying rent anymore"-phone call and few days later, she walked to the bank, took a loan and bought herself an apartment.

How many cigarettes in a pack for 5,40€? Here I think a pack is about $15 for 25 cigarettes (10€).

I used to smoke about 3/4 of a pack per day. I quit 8 years ago. I believe I've saved over $20,000...enough to pay for Jets tickets every year! :)

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
How many cigarettes in a pack for 5,40€? Here I think a pack is about $15 for 25 cigarettes (10€).

I used to smoke about 3/4 of a pack per day. I quit 8 years ago. I believe I've saved over $20,000...enough to pay for Jets tickets every year! :)

20 cigs. 5,40€ is probably the lowest price here, some cost 6€ and more. Max-packs that have 28 cost even more, but cant remember how much exactly.

I spent about 25k€ to smokes during 8 years, after some raw calculations, if not going to exact details. Lets calculate some more; how many times I can go see Jets homegame with that money

Flights, hotel room for few nights and tickets for game against Blackhawks for example.. around 1400€

So with 25k€, I could fly to Winnipeg to see Jets playing 17 times but I decided to buy smokes with that money!
1420251970185.gif

Top tip of the day; if you want to go see Jets playing, dont smoke!

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
There are approximately 3996 fewer chemicals in e-juice / e-cigs than cigarettes. The best thing you can put in your lungs is straight air, of course, but water vapour with 4 chemicals in it is certainly better than smoking cigarettes.

Good on you for quitting, FinnishJet

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
There are approximately 3996 fewer chemicals in e-juice / e-cigs than cigarettes. The best thing you can put in your lungs is straight air, of course, but water vapour with 4 chemicals in it is certainly better than smoking cigarettes.

Except on occasion they blow up in your face lol

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

Winnipeg air, yes. Toronto air,... ? ;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Except on occasion they blow up in your face lol

If you're an idiot, yes, they could.

If you build with too low a resistance and overdrive a battery by pulling too many AMPs, yes, they can blow up. If you put a battery in your pocket with change rattling around, yes, the battery can explode after it shorts.

If you're half-way intelligent about the devices, they won't blow up.

Or you can believe the reporting and propaganda. The reporters rarely bother to get the full story, and are only looking at it from a sensationalist / headlines standpoint.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I smoked for the entirety of my teenage years, starting when I was 10 or 11 and stopping when I was 19 or 20. I never really put much thought into the habit. I never became addicted, and I only smoked socially, which was a part of the reason why I never became addicted; you don't go out much when you're an introvert. As a result, a pack would last me a week, usually with leftovers to be thrown out because the tobacco became stale.

I moved away from my friends when I was just shy of my 19th birthday and got a job at my new place of residence. This place had a smoking room. I went in there once to bum a smoke off of someone during lunch and sat in there a few times. I looked at the cloud of smoke, the yellowed walls, the people eating their food, and wondered how anyone could eat in there. That was the last time I seriously thought about smoking. It was nothing for me to quit because I never developed an addiction or a habit, which is great, what with packs of smokes costing $15 to $19 now.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If you're an idiot, yes, they could.

If you build with too low a resistance and overdrive a battery by pulling too many AMPs, yes, they can blow up. If you put a battery in your pocket with change rattling around, yes, the battery can explode after it shorts.

If you're half-way intelligent about the devices, they won't blow up.

Or you can believe the reporting and propaganda. The reporters rarely bother to get the full story, and are only looking at it from a sensationalist / headlines standpoint.

Truer words....

I used to halfway believe what was reported in the media until I started to get interviewed by the media. Ugh. Even when they get the full story they aren't interested in it because they want to manufacture doubt and controversy.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Truer words....

I used to halfway believe what was reported in the media until I started to get interviewed by the media. Ugh. Even when they get the full story they aren't interested in it because they want to manufacture doubt and controversy.

Yeah - I've had that happen to me too. You think they're interviewing you for one reason, and when you see the piece they release on the news, the spin is always a bit surprising.

The next bit, I'm sure almost no one cares about, but:

I'm pretty damned sure (based on seeing some images) that the device that blew up in that kids face was called a "mech mod", which has no electronic brain in it - you're essentially hooking up a vaporizer coil directly to the battery, and if you don't ensure the resistance of the coil is high enough, you can draw too many amps, and potentially cause the battery to vent.

People who know what they're doing use an Ohm meter to ensure that the build will not draw too many amps, and over-stress the battery. People who don't know shouldn't use these devices - they should be using mods that have brains, so that they refuse to fire when the resistance is too low, when the voltage drops too far on the batteries, etc.

TL;DR - the negative spin sucks. Vaping is definitely not as good for you as not vaping, but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking. I no longer cough, I have more energy, my clothes don't smell like tar/nicotine, and my overall O2 capacity is pretty much back to normal - I can do aerobic exercise without feeling like one of my lungs is going to fall out.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
Truer words....

In Finland, media has this thing called Clickbaiting. There is a Facebook-group where they post the news with clickbait headlines and then post the story so people dont have to go the news page to read it :D Like, the headline says "best way to get rid of hangover!" and at the facebook-group, they post the main thing from the story that says "no drinking, no hangover"

Just waiting for the headlines about that Määttä and other young Finnish players might miss part of the next season and reason is they have to do their army service in Finland and if they have to do at least 6 months :sarcasm:

Derfel*

TL;DR - the negative spin sucks. Vaping is definitely not as good for you as not vaping, but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking. I no longer cough, I have more energy, my clothes don't smell like tar/nicotine, and my overall O2 capacity is pretty much back to normal - I can do aerobic exercise without feeling like one of my lungs is going to fall out.

I'd worry about the effects of nano-particles (smaller than tobacco smoke) and also the effects of vaping on bacteria - I remember reading somewhere that it makes it harder to treat illnesses with anti-biotics or something like that. I also wouldn't trust an unregulated company's "juice" either.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
In Finland, media has this thing called Clickbaiting. There is a Facebook-group where they post the news with clickbait headlines and then post the story so people dont have to go the news page to read it :D Like, the headline says "best way to get rid of hangover!" and at the facebook-group, they post the main thing from the story that says "no drinking, no hangover"

Just waiting for the headlines about that Määttä and other young Finnish players might miss part of the next season and reason is they have to do their army service in Finland and if they have to do at least 6 months :sarcasm:

I'm pretty sure clickbaiting is common in pretty much every industraly developed country by now and it started in NA with sites like buzzfeed purely existing because of clickbaiting strategies ;)

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005
My cat is sick :( He can't stop sneezing so he's probably going to have to go to the vet.

Our cats went through a round of what we presume was kennel cough. Started with our newest one, and worked its way through all three over the span of a month. My wife contacted the vet, but they said there was no need to bring them in if it was just sneezing. Our couch would be covered in snot every morning, but thankfully leather cleans easily.
Maybe just give your vet a call to see what they suggest. May end up saving some money.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'd worry about the effects of nano-particles (smaller than tobacco smoke) and also the effects of vaping on bacteria - I remember reading somewhere that it makes it harder to treat illnesses with anti-biotics or something like that. I also wouldn't trust an unregulated company's "juice" either.

The risks are currently unknown, yes - that's also a risk I'm willing to take. I do know this: 50% of people who smoke die from issues directly related to smoking. I'm glad to be rid of those risks (or to minimize them), and I'm actually cutting down on vaping as well. I've gotten completely off of nicotine, so now it's just the physical habit.

Everyone is obviously welcome to make their own decisions, and weigh the risks appropriately.

FinnishJet

Mar 19, 2015
Finland
I'm pretty sure clickbaiting is common in pretty much every industraly developed country by now and it started in NA with sites like buzzfeed purely existing because of clickbaiting strategies ;)

I'm pretty sure Finnish media is abusing that strategy more than everyone else ;)

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
oh btw, NHL.tv is a ****ing piece of ****.

I ordered a one month subscripton one month ago. They auto renewed. Fair enough. I wrote a mail saying that I'd like to cancel my account and would like to get my money back for this month since I mistakenly auto renewed my subscription. In their policy, they say this is possible up to 5 days after the re-subscription occured. I wrote a mail stating my case and they mailed me back saying, they'd evaluate wheter I'd get my money back or not. What the **** is that even supposed to mean they'd evaluate it. Internet subscriptions are the worst man -.- I can't think of much in the world where my wish to get my money back because I don't want the product is "evaluated" first. Laughable.

And what do you know, they decided to not give me back my money. And they don't even say why :laugh:

Dear Valued Subscriber:

Your request for a refund in connection with your NHL.TV™ subscription has been denied in accordance with the terms of your purchase.

Should you wish to discuss your subscription further, please contact Customer Support at 800-559-2333 (US) or e-mail [email protected]
(International Customers please call 1-412-386-2646).

Sincerely,

Is this for real? :laugh:

Obviously they're not giving me back my money because I watched the replay of Jets vs Canucks last night, since there is a sentence saying something about "usage" when they "evaluate" a money back case. Whatever I don't really give that much of a **** about those 20 euros ... I'll just watch the next 4 weeks of hockey and then be done for the season. But the way internet subscriptions still can do whatever they ****ing want in 2016 is really annoying the hell out of me.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
oh btw, NHL.tv is a ****ing piece of ****.

I ordered a one month subscripton one month ago. They auto renewed. Fair enough. I wrote a mail saying that I'd like to cancel my account and would like to get my money back for this month since I mistakenly auto renewed my subscription. In their policy, they say this is possible up to 5 days after the re-subscription occured. I wrote a mail stating my case and they mailed me back saying, they'd evaluate wheter I'd get my money back or not. What the **** is that even supposed to mean they'd evaluate it. Internet subscriptions are the worst man -.- I can't think of much in the world where my wish to get my money back because I don't want the product is "evaluated" first. Laughable.

And what do you know, they decided to not give me back my money. And they don't even say why :laugh:

Is this for real? :laugh:

Obviously they're not giving me back my money because I watched the replay of Jets vs Canucks last night, since there is a sentence saying something about "usage" when they "evaluate" a money back case. Whatever I don't really give that much of a **** about those 20 euros ... I'll just watch the next 4 weeks of hockey and then be done for the season. But the way internet subscriptions still can do whatever they ****ing want in 2016 is really annoying the hell out of me.

If they have an automatic renewal set up, cancel it immediately upon setting it up. Don't even run the risk. And if they won't let you have your trial working with an autorenew in place, I wouldn't trust shysters like that in the first place with your credit card, let alone mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad