OT: Jets Lounge: Ziggy Played Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Sorry to hear that F-Jet.

Spent yesterday car shopping. It's one of my favourite pastimes. I left a deposit on a 2012 Nissan Versa SL hatchback to replace my 16 year old Ranger; just waiting to see if they'll take my offer and arrange financing that makes sense. We can pay cash and buy it out right, but it may cost less in the end to finance and then pay off the loan after it becomes open in 6 months.

I also made an offer, that was declined, on a FIAT 500L. It's a sweet ride. Think of it as a giant 4-door 500 Abarth. Turbo charged with a 6 speed manual. Oh it was nice. I made a ridiculously low offer, they countered with a stupid high amount so we walked (but not before I left my phone number, because you never know). That tactic has worked successfully in the past, but the sales manager was a real dick, so I'm sure this deal is done.

My only hesitation with the Versa is no Bluetooth connection. But I can always replace the head unit later, I suppose.

I have spent the last 6 months researching and shopping and considered the Versa, Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Chevy Sonic, Nissan Juke, and the FIAT 500L. All of which are small, tall quasi-wagons with 4 doors and manual transmissions, some even with turbo boost. The Versa won out due to the 2012 version having rock solid reliability and one of Nissan's best ever engines. The FIAT made the final cut due to the funk and cool factor, and the turbo. Of course the FIAT would be a gamble on reliability, but it was a blast to drive!

Cool man, car shopping is the best. I was just at the Nissan dealer this week as well, with my wife as she is looking for something new.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What really gets me is the news. They are acting like this a perfectly normal and natural thing to happen...and it's not. It's a waste of time to find the dudes watch and his glasses.

Reminds me of a news story I read before. Not the content but how the news was reporting as if it was completely ordinary and ok to do.

In a reserve in northen Manitoba there was a murder of a young girl. Bad yes. But the RCMP lacking any leads at all decided to BLANKET TEST THE RESERVE for DNA. Yes it was voluntary. But if you don't want to volunteer your DNA now your a suspect in a murder? That's a very very slippery slope that no one even mentioned. News covered with mere puff pieces about how sad the family was. It's a complete violation of civil rights in my book, and one step away from mandatory DNA testing. It's shocking me more and more how people are allowing their civil rights to be violated and few people that do are being branded as malcontents or even up to traitors.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Reminds me of a news story I read before. Not the content but how the news was reporting as if it was completely ordinary and ok to do.

In a reserve in northen Manitoba there was a murder of a young girl. Bad yes. But the RCMP lacking any leads at all decided to BLANKET TEST THE RESERVE for DNA. Yes it was voluntary. But if you don't want to volunteer your DNA now your a suspect in a murder? That's a very very slippery slope that no one even mentioned. News covered with mere puff pieces about how sad the family was. It's a complete violation of civil rights in my book, and one step away from mandatory DNA testing. It's shocking me more and more how people are allowing their civil rights to be violated and few people that do are being branded as malcontents or even up to traitors.

I would tend to agree, but I think there was alot of pressure in the community to submit your DNA because they wanted the killer found. You probably don't want to be looked upon as "that guy" in the small community.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I would tend to agree, but I think there was alot of pressure in the community to submit your DNA because they wanted the killer found. You probably don't want to be looked upon as "that guy" in the small community.

Which is EXACTLY my point. Then it turns into a witch hunt. What an incredibly huge violation of privacy rights. Your left with the choice between "volunteering" to surrender your privacy or being branded in the eyes of the law and eyes of the community as a suspect in a murder case. That is a completely unfair situation to people in.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada

The Charter to the rescue!
Edit: Joking if restricting rights extremely.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Your crime solving measures sound ridiculous.

And sorry to hear that FinnishJet. Whatever the circumstances it's always difficult when a friend dies. Condolences to you mate.

Speaking of friends, I told one of mine who I'm interested in, and asked if she knew what team they batted for. She replied with a confession of feelings for me. Not how I planned on that conversation going. :shakehead

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

And sorry to hear that FinnishJet. Whatever the circumstances it's always difficult when a friend dies. Condolences to you mate.

Speaking of friends, I told one of mine who I'm interested in and asked if she knew what team they batted for. She replied with a confession of feelings for me. Not how I planned on that conversation going. :shakehead

I'm confused. You're interested in her and asked her about being gay and she said yes and confessed that she likes you? But thats not a good thing? I am missing something.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I'm confused. You're interested in her and asked her about being gay and she said yes and confessed that she likes you? But thats not a good thing? I am missing something.

No I asked her if she knew whether someone else was gay cause I'm interested in that person. :laugh:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Cool man, car shopping is the best. I was just at the Nissan dealer this week as well, with my wife as she is looking for something new.

What's her choice(s) for the new car? Nissan has some excellent vehicles, and the only CVT I would trust. The Versa Note, Rogue, Altima and Maxima, Juke, and Murano are all well-sorted and reliable rides.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville

Speaking of friends, I told one of mine who I'm interested in, and asked if she knew what team they batted for. She replied with a confession of feelings for me. Not how I planned on that conversation going. :shakehead

Awkward. And frankly, that's always an uncomfortable situation whether homo or hetero persons are involved.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
What's her choice(s) for the new car? Nissan has some excellent vehicles, and the only CVT I would trust. The Versa Note, Rogue, Altima and Maxima, Juke, and Murano are all well-sorted and reliable rides.

Maxima, but I am going to assume it being seated pretty low to the ground in the redesign is gonna turn her off. Murano is a possibility.

She has alot of cars on her wishlist. Gotta widdle them down.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Saw Greg Selinger at the Bannatyne campus of UoM this morning, talking about student loans and such.

Does anyone know of a resource where you can see the voting record on each of the Manitoba parliament candidates?

I want to get more informed on who I vote for, but some preliminary Google searches bring up nothing.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Maxima, but I am going to assume it being seated pretty low to the ground in the redesign is gonna turn her off. Murano is a possibility.

She has alot of cars on her wishlist. Gotta widdle them down.

If she likes the Max because of its sporting pretensions, get her to try a Mazda 6 - it's a driver's car, especially with the manual.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
and flyingkiwi's a she, i gather.
or wait.

ah, screw it.

Correct. Our sole New Zealand representative is, in fact, a lesbian, and therefore is stalking girls, as is her right as a human.

Not that it matters, as every person has a right to identify as whatever they want to. If Flying Kiwi wants to identify as a Jets fan, then I say all the power to her, even though doing so will result in a lifetime of heartache and grief.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
If she likes the Max because of its sporting pretensions, get her to try a Mazda 6 - it's a driver's car, especially with the manual.

She refuses to drive Mazda anything haha. She's a bit of a hater.

Nissan Maxima
Infiniti Q50
Acura TLX
Audi A4
BMW 328

It will come down to one of these. I'm guessing the TLX.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
Saw Greg Selinger at the Bannatyne campus of UoM this morning, talking about student loans and such.

Does anyone know of a resource where you can see the voting record on each of the Manitoba parliament candidates?

I want to get more informed on who I vote for, but some preliminary Google searches bring up nothing.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/legislature/hansard/hansard.html

Unless you're a politics/policy nerd reading through those can be quite boring. In fact, even if you are interested in the subject matter you soon realize that most of what gets recorded is irrelevant and rhetoric.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Well...is she hot?

Kind of? Not in my eyes at least. We're buddies man.

She was asking a friend about someone else, and then the friend she was talking to confessed feelings.

Thank you hammer for untangling my less than clear mess of pronouns and antecedents.

Correct. Our sole New Zealand representative is, in fact, a lesbian, and therefore is stalking girls, as is her right as a human.

Not that it matters, as every person has a right to identify as whatever they want to. If Flying Kiwi wants to identify as a Jets fan, then I say all the power to her, even though doing so will result in a lifetime of heartache and grief.

Well that's one way to put it. :sarcasm:

I also identify as a Sharks fan and a Panthers 2016 playoffs bandwagoner. #spaceyinspace
But that's the problem with labels man. They force us to compartmentalise our identities and reduce ourselves to the stereotypes of a few small words. #NotAllJetsFans are masochists. :sarcasm: :sarcasm::sarcasm::laugh:

Ah who am I ****ing kidding. My favourite rugby team has never won a title either.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Kind of? Not in my eyes at least. We're buddies man.

Thank you hammer for untangling my less than clear mess of pronouns and antecedents.

Well that's one way to put it. :sarcasm:

I also identify as a Sharks fan and a Panthers 2016 playoffs bandwagoner. #spaceyinspace
But that's the problem with labels man. They force us to compartmentalise our identities and reduce ourselves to the stereotypes of a few small words. #NotAllJetsFans are masochists. :sarcasm: :sarcasm::sarcasm::laugh:

Ah who am I ****ing kidding. My favourite rugby team has never won a title either.

I never asked, but I assumed the feminine pronoun is okay? My apologies if not.

Haven't the All Blacks won it all, all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad