OT: Jets Lounge: Ziggy Played Guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
If they have an automatic renewal set up, cancel it immediately upon setting it up. Don't even run the risk. And if they won't let you have your trial working with an autorenew in place, I wouldn't trust shysters like that in the first place with your credit card, let alone mine.

You're right and I'm normally doing so but this time I wasn't sure it would renew automatically until I saw the automatic purchase. Until the beginning of February, I used that alternative site that is gone now and we never spoke about because I prefered to give them my money instead of a greedy NHL.tv product with blackouts and other funny stuff. They don't even have condensed games anymore :amazed: Sure, I could have had a look at one point, realize it renew automatically and cancel it. My mistake anyway.

But that doesn't change the fact that online service providers of any kind go ******* with their automatic subscription policies and nothing has changed about that over the last 5-6 years.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Our cats went through a round of what we presume was kennel cough. Started with our newest one, and worked its way through all three over the span of a month. My wife contacted the vet, but they said there was no need to bring them in if it was just sneezing. Our couch would be covered in snot every morning, but thankfully leather cleans easily.
Maybe just give your vet a call to see what they suggest. May end up saving some money.

His eye is leaking too. (Thats what it started with) Cats can't get kennel cough. There is a feline respiratory infection going around and the little bugger managed to escape outside a couple of times. But he's not lethargic and my mom is home sick today keeping an eye on him.

Derfel*

His eye is leaking too. (Thats what it started with) Cats can't get kennel cough. There is a feline respiratory infection going around and the little bugger managed to escape outside a couple of times. But he's not lethargic and my mom is home sick today keeping an eye on him.

Cherry brandy! That'll clear it up in no time. :handclap:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Question towards the gin, whiskey and bourbon fans:

Do you read any kind of liquor magazine? Or do you know any? Can also be a special interest blog for liqour fans or something like that. Looking for specific magazines and online blogs all over the world. (It's for work)

After doing some research I did find "Wine & Spirits" and "Whiskey Advocate" both print magazines but I'm sure there is a lot more in NA than only those two.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
In Finland, media has this thing called Clickbaiting. There is a Facebook-group where they post the news with clickbait headlines and then post the story so people dont have to go the news page to read it :D Like, the headline says "best way to get rid of hangover!" and at the facebook-group, they post the main thing from the story that says "no drinking, no hangover"

Just waiting for the headlines about that Määttä and other young Finnish players might miss part of the next season and reason is they have to do their army service in Finland and if they have to do at least 6 months :sarcasm:

Yeah, clickbaiting. Whee.

I was at a series of seminars in Minneapolis back in November and part of that was "how to deal with the media". We had a pretty high ranking guy from the Star Tribune (assistant editor?) talking to us. They basically decide which stories to follow now on the basis of the number of mentions they generate on Facebook and Twitter. So if something is incredibly stupid, but generates lots of interest on FB/TW, they'll continue to run similar stories. It's not about reporting news it is only about generating hits which generate revenue. So if you think about how stupid much of the social media subject matter is, that's what driving things now. Idiocracy wasn't meant as a documentary.

rahzar

Oct 9, 2005

One of ours had a leaky eye. Just cleaned it once or twice a day and she was good. She was eating, drinking and playing around, so we weren't too concerned. Now, all three are as irritating as ever.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
The risks are currently unknown, yes - that's also a risk I'm willing to take. I do know this: 50% of people who smoke die from issues directly related to smoking. I'm glad to be rid of those risks (or to minimize them), and I'm actually cutting down on vaping as well. I've gotten completely off of nicotine, so now it's just the physical habit.

Everyone is obviously welcome to make their own decisions, and weigh the risks appropriately.

Vaping really can be looked at in two different ways. I personally wouldn't want someone has previously never smoked tobacco getting hooked on the thing (or worse yet, have vaping serve as a gateway to smoking actual cigarettes). There really just isn't enough data to determine how safe it is, what the addiction potential is, etc.

As a smoking cessation tool, it is very promising. And I really hope that propaganda and scare tactics don't get in the way of it being studied for smoking cessation, especially if data does emerge that it has proven to be effective in getting people to quit tobacco versus other methods.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
You're right and I'm normally doing so but this time I wasn't sure it would renew automatically until I saw the automatic purchase. Until the beginning of February, I used that alternative site that is gone now and we never spoke about because I prefered to give them my money instead of a greedy NHL.tv product with blackouts and other funny stuff. They don't even have condensed games anymore :amazed: Sure, I could have had a look at one point, realize it renew automatically and cancel it. My mistake anyway.

But that doesn't change the fact that online service providers of any kind go ******* with their automatic subscription policies and nothing has changed about that over the last 5-6 years.

I feel they made the auto renewal fact pretty clear when I purchased the monthly subscription this year. Which I now need to cancel due to having no time to watch. Then I'll do the number crunching to see if it was worth it over a full year.

The blackouts don't bother me since I get none. They're only an issue because of the cable companies.

The thing I hate most is they don't take the ads out of the replays.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I feel they made the auto renewal fact pretty clear when I purchased the monthly subscription this year. Which I now need to cancel due to having no time to watch. Then I'll do the number crunching to see if it was worth it over a full year.

The blackouts don't bother me since I get none. They're only an issue because of the cable companies.

The thing I hate most is they don't take the ads out of the replays.

idk I guess I wasn't paying attention :laugh: like I said, it obviously is my mistake from the beginning. the main part I'm kinda pissed is that part about "you can get your money back 5 days after being charged if you cancel" and then they denie my request to cancel because I used NHL.tv during the time they didn't answer. thats bs.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
idk I guess I wasn't paying attention :laugh: like I said, it obviously is my mistake from the beginning. the main part I'm kinda pissed is that part about "you can get your money back 5 days after being charged if you cancel" and then they denie my request to cancel because I used NHL.tv during the time they didn't answer. thats bs.

Yeah that's a bit rough.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
If you're an idiot, yes, they could.

If you build with too low a resistance and overdrive a battery by pulling too many AMPs, yes, they can blow up. If you put a battery in your pocket with change rattling around, yes, the battery can explode after it shorts.

If you're half-way intelligent about the devices, they won't blow up.

Or you can believe the reporting and propaganda. The reporters rarely bother to get the full story, and are only looking at it from a sensationalist / headlines standpoint.

OK OK, that was a little more hostile then I was expecting...but how many people do you know that build eCigarettes at home? I mean really?

And propaganda what is this? War on terror? No. It's an ecig. And how exactly would you hand an ecig from the store that would cause it to blow the **** up in your face?

But I would welcome you to tell this kids family that if was being half intelligent about how he used the ECIG that it would not have blown up in his face.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ce-on-fire-e-cigarette-blows-up-in-teens-face

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Apparently the kid was using the wrong cartridge (or a modified one at least) for the type of e-cigarette.

There's nothing in that video.

In any event...it doesn't matter. I made a joke about how they ****ing blow up in your face sometimes...and that has happened so let's not pretend that it doesn't...and then it has spiraled into this.

And I don't really apprecise being told that I'm just believing propaganda and media spins and stuff when in reality something that you put in your mouth and "smoke" shouldn't be able to ****ing blow your face off.

Call me old fashioned.

Most people don't use vaping as a way to quit smoking altogether, but as a smoking replacement and to me that's a scary thought because it's something that is generally not regulated and no one has bothered to look into the actual health risks of ecigs...aside from the obvious risk of facial explosion that is.

Sure, the ecigs have removed small amounts of tar and cyanide and benzene and formaldehyde that reside within cigarettes...but the nicotine remains...and while it may be easier on your lungs...it is still killer on your heart.

Derfel*

There's nothing in that video.

In any event...it doesn't matter. I made a joke about how they ****ing blow up in your face sometimes...and that has happened so let's not pretend that it doesn't...and then it has spiraled into this.

And I don't really apprecise being told that I'm just believing propaganda and media spins and stuff when in reality something that you put in your mouth and "smoke" shouldn't be able to ****ing blow your face off.

Call me old fashioned.

Most people don't use vaping as a way to quit smoking altogether, but as a smoking replacement and to me that's a scary thought because it's something that is generally not regulated and no one has bothered to look into the actual health risks of ecigs...aside from the obvious risk of facial explosion that is.

Sure, the ecigs have removed small amounts of tar and cyanide and benzene and formaldehyde that reside within cigarettes...but the nicotine remains...and while it may be easier on your lungs...it is still killer on your heart.

The video demonstrates what likely went wrong in the e-cigarette that blew up.

Otherwise I totally agree with you on the issue.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
OK OK, that was a little more hostile then I was expecting...but how many people do you know that build eCigarettes at home? I mean really?

And propaganda what is this? War on terror? No. It's an ecig. And how exactly would you hand an ecig from the store that would cause it to blow the **** up in your face?

But I would welcome you to tell this kids family that if was being half intelligent about how he used the ECIG that it would not have blown up in his face.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ce-on-fire-e-cigarette-blows-up-in-teens-face

What happened to him terrible, but it was preventable. That e-cig WAS a mechanical mod, with a dripper that requires you build coils for it. These should not be sold to people that have no clue what to do with them, and no e-cigs should be sold to minors, period.

I'm tearing a strip off the media, BTW, not the kid, and it speaks to why I call it propaganda. There's a lot of it out there regarding e-cigs, and I'm tired of misinformed opinions being passed off as fact.

So then you state this:
And I don't really apprecise being told that I'm just believing propaganda and media spins and stuff

...and follow it with this:

when in reality something that you put in your mouth and "smoke" shouldn't be able to ****ing blow your face off.

Sounds like someone is believing the half-reporting job that was done in this story. As far as nicotine: I'm down to 0mg, so it's now just the physical habit for me.

In the end, it's MY business what I choose to do, if it's not causing you harm. :nod:

Edit: and BTW, because it's hard to express intent in messages on an internet forum, note that I wasn't going after you, I was railing against the originators of the story itself. I despise the half-reporting jobs that news stations do on stories like this. They spread mis-information, or only half the story because they're more worried about the sensationalist aspects.

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
What happened to him terrible, but it was preventable. That e-cig WAS a mechanical mod, with a dripper that requires you build coils for it. These should not be sold to people that have no clue what to do with them, and no e-cigs should be sold to minors, period.

I'm tearing a strip off the media, BTW, not the kid, and it speaks to why I call it propaganda. There's a lot of it out there regarding e-cigs, and I'm tired of misinformed opinions being passed off as fact.

So then you state this:

...and follow it with this:

Sounds like someone is believing the half-reporting job that was done in this story. As far as nicotine: I'm down to 0mg, so it's now just the physical habit for me.

In the end, it's MY business what I choose to do, if it's not causing you harm. :nod:

Edit: and BTW, because it's hard to express intent in messages on an internet forum, note that I wasn't going after you, I was railing against the originators of the story itself. I despise the half-reporting jobs that news stations do on stories like this. They spread mis-information, or only half the story because they're more worried about the sensationalist aspects.

Your right. It is your business and it's great that you.no longer have nicotine in your ecig.

But that doesn't excuse the fact that something you put in your mouth should ****ing explode unless you attach an actual explosive to it. That's not me believing in propaganda like it's the gulf war...to me..that's just common sense. Seems to me like there is a way to avoid the who face amputation thing.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
sully: go back and read my messages. There is a way to prevent them from blowing up in your face. I know there's very little interest in this, so I won't bore anyone any further with my explanations, but I did lay it out pretty clearly.

He did something he shouldn't have. He unfortunately suffered some large and ugly consequences for doing so.

Let's put it this way: if you decided you wanted to see what happened to a propane tank if you were to chuck it into a fire, would you blame the propane tank manufacturer when the tank blew up on you?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Question towards the gin, whiskey and bourbon fans:

Do you read any kind of liquor magazine? Or do you know any? Can also be a special interest blog for liqour fans or something like that. Looking for specific magazines and online blogs all over the world. (It's for work)

After doing some research I did find "Wine & Spirits" and "Whiskey Advocate" both print magazines but I'm sure there is a lot more in NA than only those two.

i don't read anything. i have friends who are scotch geeks. i just go along for the ride. bourbon's more my thing.

bourbon's drying up over here. a big shortage, and canada's being cut off. my Manhattans will be made with rye soon. shame. just used Weller's 12 and Hudson's blended together with vermouth and bitters. hells yeah

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
sully: go back and read my messages. There is a way to prevent them from blowing up in your face. I know there's very little interest in this, so I won't bore anyone any further with my explanations, but I did lay it out pretty clearly.

He did something he shouldn't have. He unfortunately suffered some large and ugly consequences for doing so.

Let's put it this way: if you decided you wanted to see what happened to a propane tank if you were to chuck it into a fire, would you blame the propane tank manufacturer when the tank blew up on you?

Well...yea...

Whose else's fault would that have been?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

If they didn't come with a big warning label that says "DO NOT CHUCK INTO FIRE", then hell yeah! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad