OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 and it's really good.

I really hope Marvel can come to an agreement with Fox like they did with Sony as I want to see more cosmic films in the future with the Silver Surfer, Galactus, Shi'ar et al.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
On our last two nights in Fiji. We went to a downtown Suva restaurant for dinner and the Fijian prime minister was there.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Isn't it lovely, having to choose between watching the playoffs and studying for my university entrance exams? Trying to get in to study linguistics, but Jesus Christ, are those exam materials tedious. An endless amount of text in three different languages isn't exactly a breeze.

Anyone else trying to get in?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Isn't it lovely, having to choose between watching the playoffs and studying for my university entrance exams? Trying to get in to study linguistics, but Jesus Christ, are those exam materials tedious. An endless amount of text in three different languages isn't exactly a breeze.

I just graduated with majors in English and Linguistics. It's super fun once you get in, all the best with your exams! Though it seems a bit strange they'd give you materials like that.... in my whole degree I never really had much data as a massive text. Language analysis typically doesn't work like that.

Out of curiosity though, what three languages? :)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

We're talking about exam books, right (rather than actual material you'd be expected to churn)? I guess Finnish (something from Kaisa Häkkilä), English obviously and as wild card I pick German (over more obvious Swedish).

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I just graduated with majors in English and Linguistics. It's super fun once you get in, all the best with your exams! Though it seems a bit strange they'd give you materials like that.... in my whole degree I never really had much data as a massive text. Language analysis typically doesn't work like that.

Out of curiosity though, what three languages? :)

That's what I'm aiming for as well. And just to clarify: I'm talking about the material we need to study and/or analyze for the exams, which are based on those texts. Since the universities I'm seeking a place from have separate entrance exams, they obviously have different materials. Add in the fact that they are in Finnish, English and French, and stuff adds up.

We're talking about exam books, right (rather than actual material you'd be expected to churn)? I guess Finnish (something from Kaisa Häkkilä), English obviously and as wild card I pick German (over more obvious Swedish).

The material consists of a book about linguistics, four English novels, an hour's worth of podcasts about English around the world and two English research texts about language learning. On top of that, participants are expected to be able to use said languages at the skill level of a high school graduate, so those high school courses need to be taken and learnt as well.

I'm confident I can do well, though.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
That's what I'm aiming for as well. And just to clarify: I'm talking about the material we need to study and/or analyze for the exams, which are based on those texts. Since the universities I'm seeking a place from have separate entrance exams, they obviously have different materials. Add in the fact that they are in Finnish, English and French, and stuff adds up.

The material consists of a book about linguistics, four English novels, an hour's worth of podcasts about English around the world and two English research texts about language learning. On top of that, participants are expected to be able to use said languages at the skill level of a high school graduate, so those high school courses need to be taken and learnt as well.

I'm confident I can do well, though.

As a linguistics major or for entering university in general?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
As a linguistics major or for entering university in general?

To start studying linguistics in university.

But the curriculum in many fields also demand passing a couple university-level courses on one or two foreign languages (English I guess is in practice one for most people) so you need the high-school level skill to attend those anyway. Plus on top of that there's obviously the "other domestic language" ie. 'officiate-Swedish' (or Finnish) to pass.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 and it's really good.

I really hope Marvel can come to an agreement with Fox like they did with Sony as I want to see more cosmic films in the future with the Silver Surfer, Galactus, Shi'ar et al.

I cant see Disney and Fox coming up with any agreement.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Friend was at the Pint yesterday, Teemu walks in by himself, parks himself at the bar and orders a drink.

He ended up having a beer with him and a selfie pic. Within 10 minutes he had a group of people around him.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Saw Teemu twice today.

He was at Polo Park walking around, didn't want to bother him.

A few hours later, I'm in traffic on Route 90, and he's beside me a newer Corvette with dealer plates. I gave him a wave and got a thumbs up.

Rady dinner was on Wednesday? Cool to see him stick around a few days.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
This video clip was played by U2 on their video screen at the Joshua Tree 30 tour. When I saw it at BC Place I thought it had to be "doctored" But turns out it was real. It's from a 1958 television show. It's kind of freaky actually how current it seems.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I saw Get Out on Sunday. Good movie. I guess you don't have to go to the movies in order to see it but if you have another way to give it a try: do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad