OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You'd be surprised how many people pay in cash.

Yea I suppose at Super Store when they can't use a credit cards the numbers would be higher. It's so rare you see cash in Restaurants now the deposits have dropped off and in most cases restaurants need to get cash from the bank to pay the servers their tips they receive from credit cards. For example currently full services restaurants in Winnipeg I am aware of that friends own are receiving about 8% to 10% of all payments in cash and 90%-92% in Debit and credit card. In the states it's less than 1% of the transactions get paid in cash (very small sample size alert).

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Yea I suppose at Super Store when they can't use a credit cards the numbers would be higher. It's so rare you see cash in Restaurants now the deposits have dropped off and in most cases restaurants need to get cash from the bank to pay the servers their tips they receive from credit cards. For example currently full services restaurants in Winnipeg I am aware of that friends own are receiving about 8% to 10% of all payments in cash and 90%-92% in Debit and credit card. In the states it's less than 1% of the transactions get paid in cash (very small sample size alert).

95% of express clients pay cash. No matter if the debit machines are down or not.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Small businesses other than Hertz are apparently not interested in free advertising. If anyone here owns a business (really any area) and wants to a partner trying to build their business let me know! I'm more than willing to do the legwork, just looking to set up my network.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Small businesses other than Hertz are apparently not interested in free advertising. If anyone here owns a business (really any area) and wants to a partner trying to build their business let me know! I'm more than willing to do the legwork, just looking to set up my network.

May I ask what you are proposing?

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Thanks to Smelling Salt for suggesting that Studio Tax program. Did both our taxes in a couple hours this morning, saved me actually inputting everything. The program's design is pretty amateur but it works well.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Thanks to Smelling Salt for suggesting that Studio Tax program. Did both our taxes in a couple hours this morning, saved me actually inputting everything. The program's design is pretty amateur but it works well.

LOL no problem. The design looks kind of "archaic" but so are the tax forms in real life, so it mimics those for ease of use. :laugh:

My wife is a CA and she thinks it's great and uses it for our stuff so I figured it must be alright.

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
May I ask what you are proposing?

So what I am doing is going door to door to drop off some stuff for my real estate career I had made that might be useful to people (it's a cool little cooking conversion chart magnet). So I thought to get some local businesses involved as well. I could hand out some stuff for their business as well while I am going around. In exchange all I would want is for them to keep some business cards or pamphlets of mine to recommend me if they have customers that are looking at real estate. Seems like a win-win to me.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
So what I am doing is going door to door to drop off some stuff for my real estate career I had made that might be useful to people (it's a cool little cooking conversion chart magnet). So I thought to get some local businesses involved as well. I could hand out some stuff for their business as well while I am going around. In exchange all I would want is for them to keep some business cards or pamphlets of mine to recommend me if they have customers that are looking at real estate. Seems like a win-win to me.

We rely on our local real estate agents for annual magnets, calendars and notepads. It's a shame they keep wanting us to sell our house. :sarcasm:

Holden Caulfield

He's guilty
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We rely on our local real estate agents for annual magnets, calendars and notepads. It's a shame they keep wanting us to sell our house. :sarcasm:

Yeah :laugh:. This is why I am not doing calendars or notepads or anything like that. Everyone does that. I am trying to find things that might actually be useful to people. Like what I put together is a custom thing that has all the conversions between metric and imperial for cooking. My girlfriend likes to cook so I got her to help me put it together, something that goes on the fridge and will be useful for people that like to cook.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

I carry cash but never use it. Not in restaurants, grocery stores, clothing etc...My wife doesn't use cash either. I don't travel with cash, other than a few hundred of local currency. My wife strictly uses credit cards and I am about 90% credit card. One of my financial advisors once told me to link all my bills to my credit cards and reap all the rewards benefits. My wife cashed in for $1200 worth of best buy gift cards last year and bought an ipad. This year she is going to cash in $1500 for home depot gift cards and buy a shed for the cottage. The system works if you always pay your monthly bill in full.

I only use cash in one place.... the MTSC. I was really hoping the Jets would have got the Loaded Ticket Program going. I assume that the season seat cards barcode would link the credit card on your season ticket holder account and you could just swipe or tap and pay for food, drink and 50/50 with the charge coming on your monthly credit card bill. I envison that the Jets are trying to set up a program similar to yearly ski passes.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/ticketcentral/reloadable-jets-pass

What is Resort Charge? With Resort Charge you can attach a credit card to your Season Pass or PEAKS card and use it to charge at designated Vail Resorts’ on-mountain restaurants and retail locations.*

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/pass-benefits/resort-charge.aspx

I was shown this video the other day as the way society is changing in relation to the use of money and technology.

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Just curious, my 6 year has been writing letters to some NHL players (I encourage it to practice his reading, writing, and spelling), do i just mail them to tbeir respective team's addresses or do players have a different fan mail address? I'm not expecting any responses or anything back, but I would like to at least mail it to the proper address.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I carry cash but never use it. Not in restaurants, grocery stores, clothing etc...My wife doesn't use cash either. I don't travel with cash, other than a few hundred of local currency. My wife strictly uses credit cards and I am about 90% credit card. One of my financial advisors once told me to link all my bills to my credit cards and reap all the rewards benefits. My wife cashed in for $1200 worth of best buy gift cards last year and bought an ipad. This year she is going to cash in $1500 for home depot gift cards and buy a shed for the cottage. The system works if you always pay your monthly bill in full.

I only use cash in one place.... the MTSC. I was really hoping the Jets would have got the Loaded Ticket Program going. I assume that the season seat cards barcode would link the credit card on your season ticket holder account and you could just swipe or tap and pay for food, drink and 50/50 with the charge coming on your monthly credit card bill. I envison that the Jets are trying to set up a program similar to yearly ski passes.

https://www.nhl.com/jets/ticketcentral/reloadable-jets-pass

http://www.snow.com/epic-pass/pass-benefits/resort-charge.aspx

I was shown this video the other day as the way society is changing in relation to the use of money and technology.

Interesting the AmazonGo idea is cool but the problem is unless I get points on my CC programs I would not use it. It could be disruptive but they will need linkage to competitive rewards programs. You are like me I am put all my purchases through the CC to get points.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Probably the most annoying thing for businesses is credit card fees. In places like restaurants and grocery stores where margins are really skinny that 2% is massive and really adds up. I want to go back and find the first businessman who ever agreed to pay the fee and shoot him. Ok let's get this strait you want me to take your plastic so you can charge some schmuck 18% on his/her outstanding balance and charge me 2% at the same time....**** off how about I charge you 2% and you clear 16%? Ok ok I get that is insane and nobody agrees with me but it makes sense to me. The problem is CC purchases as a % of total transactions has gone way up due to the reward programs so it's more and more problematic.

I admire retailers like Costco who say **** off to the CC companies or sell the rights to exclusively to a company.....now I get that it's a pain in the ass to the customers but it takes balls and adds allot of cash to their bottom line.

In a case like this though where they are asking for cash only because their interact crashes that is nuts.......nobody uses money anymore :laugh:

I have to figure that 2% is factored into their overall pricing strategy so I'll be damned if I'm going to pay cash, and lose my 1-2% in cash back to give the retailer even more profit than they already make through normal retail markup. Plus, it's just a big PITA for me to have to go to one of my bank's branches to pull out money. If a retailer wants me to pay cash, give me an incentive like offering me 5% off the total bill. Otherwise, say hello to "my flexible friend", as Mr Bean would say. :laugh:

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Just curious, my 6 year has been writing letters to some NHL players (I encourage it to practice his reading, writing, and spelling), do i just mail them to tbeir respective team's addresses or do players have a different fan mail address? I'm not expecting any responses or anything back, but I would like to at least mail it to the proper address.

Yeah I'd send to the team address.

<Player Name> c/o Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club
345 Graham Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 5S6
Canada

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

The players may not be around much these days but when they come back you may get a response. I still have my autographed Ken Dryden photo from when I was a kid. It's still in the original envelope with the Montreal forum return address.

Interesting the AmazonGo idea is cool but the problem is unless I get points on my CC programs I would not use it. It could be disruptive but they will need linkage to competitive rewards programs. You are like me I am put all my purchases through the CC to get points.

My Amazon account is linked to my Amex. I would assume that you could link the AmazonGo to any credit card.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Hey guys are any of our fellow Jets fans good at graphic design. Or really just somewhat okay at it? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad