OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Tiger seems to have been under a lot of pressure to succeed his whole life. Things going off the rails as they have are wrecking him.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011

yikes...rough night for El Tigre.

I feel for the guy actually (no sympathy for the DUI though of course). I think he's been hammered pretty hard by things pretty much since his dad died. His life seems to have unraveled (much of it his own fault of course) and he's gone from being an untouchable superman to being pretty much a schmo. I used to think he'd get through this rough period for a few years and then he'd come back and win a few more big events but I don't anymore. I think he's basically done...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Without piling on poor Tiger I always wondered what would happen with his career once he started facing adult situations. I think he was quite sheltered and coddled for much of his career (not unusual for superstar athletes) and I remember how at one point people were talking about how Phil Mickelson just couldn't touch Tiger. But Phil had three kids and a wife who was undergoing cancer treatment at the time. Sure, Phil couldn't touch Tiger at the time, no argument, but he had other stuff on his plate that was probably more important than just winning golf. Once Tiger's pop passed away and then his marriage fell apart, so to speak, the wheels pretty much fell off. Seems Phil has in many respects weathered the storm of being an adult with responsibilities much better than Tiger has.

I'm of the same opinion that he likely won't be able to come back and win any more majors. I do think it would be great if he could mature and come back to do so because he's so close but I'm no longer convinced it's likely.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Meh, as far as Tiger's golf career, what made him special, makes him prone to an early career finish.

He never had a perfect swing, but made up for it with just pure raw strength and power. That took a toll on his body that he is now bearing.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
yikes...rough night for El Tigre.

I feel for the guy actually (no sympathy for the DUI though of course). I think he's been hammered pretty hard by things pretty much since his dad died. His life seems to have unraveled (much of it his own fault of course) and he's gone from being an untouchable superman to being pretty much a schmo. I used to think he'd get through this rough period for a few years and then he'd come back and win a few more big events but I don't anymore. I think he's basically done...

To be fair it's not a real DUI though. He had no alcohol in his system. It sounds like he had a bad reaction to prescribed medication, which in reality could happen to anyone.

Woods put golf on the map. He took a nothing sport where players were playing for peanuts to players making tens of millions. It is sad to see how his life has fallen. Honestly I used to watch golf and follow it, but after he stopped being dominant I haven't watched any. I could maybe name 3 players now. I'm sure I'm not the only one, he had that kind of starpower that drew in casual and even non-fans of the sport (to be clear I love golfing, don't care about pro golf).

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
To be fair it's not a real DUI though. He had no alcohol in his system. It sounds like he had a bad reaction to prescribed medication, which in reality could happen to anyone.

While the moral culpability may be different, it is certainly a real DUI.
I'm sympathetic if this was truly just an adverse reaction, but there are plenty of reasons to question if it was just that.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
While the moral culpability may be different, it is certainly a real DUI.
I'm sympathetic if this was truly just an adverse reaction, but there are plenty of reasons to question if it was just that.

That just seems like a cynical viewpoint that famous people must always be guilty, but their celebrity gets them off. In instances like this, I think anyone deserves the benefit of doubt. Get nailed a second time for "unexpected reaction to medication"? OK, maybe doubt needs to take a back seat to culpability.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
That just seems like a cynical viewpoint that famous people must always be guilty, but their celebrity gets them off. In instances like this, I think anyone deserves the benefit of doubt. Get nailed a second time for "unexpected reaction to medication"? OK, maybe doubt needs to take a back seat to culpability.

It has nothing to do with celebrity.

It could be that this is a combination of drugs which he has taken before but reacted to differently this time. I think that is unlikely but plausible.

It could be that this is the first time he took the drugs in this manner and did not know how he would react.
If this is what happened it is a "legitimate DUI".
Whether he didn't appreciate the risks involved or his doctor failed to inform him of the risks, he clearly put himself and others at considerable risk by driving while taking those drugs for the first time.

Or it could be that over a long weekend an individual made a poor choice.
It doesn't mean he did so with malice intent.

Its shocking how adverse reactions disproportionately occur late at night on long weekend.

I'm not trying to vilify Tiger. My point was simply that a DUI is a DUI regardless of whether alcohol was involved.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
It's hard to imagine a guy like Tiger being blind-sided by prescription meds. I mean surely he has excellent medical supervision. How common is an adverse reaction to prescription meds that ends up with the person so messed up they are found asleep at the wheel with no idea where they are? Weird...

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
It's hard to imagine a guy like Tiger being blind-sided by prescription meds. I mean surely he has excellent medical supervision. How common is an adverse reaction to prescription meds that ends up with the person so messed up they are found asleep at the wheel with no idea where they are? Weird...

I've had something like that happen to me. I had some serious rage/anger from antibiotics while I was driving a 40 ton rig. We're talking level 10 road rage gonna kill someone for not flashing their turn signal enough times. Luckily I parked for a day until everything wore off.

My dad had bad hallucinations from medication for athletes foot.

So yes, it happens.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I've had something like that happen to me. I had some serious rage/anger from antibiotics while I was driving a 40 ton rig. We're talking level 10 road rage gonna kill someone for not flashing their turn signal enough times. Luckily I parked for a day until everything wore off.

My dad had bad hallucinations from medication for athletes foot.

So yes, it happens.

My worst experience was taking benedryl on an empty stomach. Was higher then a ****ing kite.

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
2017-04-23%2023.41.50.jpg

The newest member of our family, Rosie.

Argh. I'm trying to do this on my phone, and I can't seem to figure this out. Sorry.

She's a 13 week old Scottish Terrier. We forgot it's like having a baby again.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
It has nothing to do with celebrity.

It could be that this is a combination of drugs which he has taken before but reacted to differently this time. I think that is unlikely but plausible.

It could be that this is the first time he took the drugs in this manner and did not know how he would react.
If this is what happened it is a "legitimate DUI".
Whether he didn't appreciate the risks involved or his doctor failed to inform him of the risks, he clearly put himself and others at considerable risk by driving while taking those drugs for the first time.

Or it could be that over a long weekend an individual made a poor choice.
It doesn't mean he did so with malice intent.

Its shocking how adverse reactions disproportionately occur late at night on long weekend.

I'm not trying to vilify Tiger. My point was simply that a DUI is a DUI regardless of whether alcohol was involved.

if he passed out and his car drove onto the sidewalk and killed your mom or sister while they were out for a walk, would you be so forgiving?

also, as a pharmacist, i wonder out loud which combination of medication had this interaction and why he wasn't warned. usually, prescription medication like anti-inflammatories or blood pressure or cholesterol medication do not cause drowsiness. medication like anxiolytics, antidepressants, muscle relaxants and narcotics do cause drowsiness.

anything is possible. but some things are more possible than others

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
if he passed out and his car drove onto the sidewalk and killed your mom or sister while they were out for a walk, would you be so forgiving?

also, as a pharmacist, i wonder out loud which combination of medication had this interaction and why he wasn't warned. usually, prescription medication like anti-inflammatories or blood pressure or cholesterol medication do not cause drowsiness. medication like anxiolytics, antidepressants, muscle relaxants and narcotics do cause drowsiness.

Probably not, but what if he passed out and killed a suicide bomber? ;)

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Interesting watching the CLF after not having watched many soccer games since I left Sweden. A defender just went down after a bump to the head, and the commentators immediately questioned if he'd be able to continue playing. That would not have happened when I followed soccer as recently as five years ago.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg

How am I being forgiving?
I presented three scenarios. Two of which I stated were inexcusable, one of which I said was unlikely.

My point was that it was a "real" DUI...

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Interesting watching the CLF after not having watched many soccer games since I left Sweden. A defender just went down after a bump to the head, and the commentators immediately questioned if he'd be able to continue playing. That would not have happened when I followed soccer as recently as five years ago.

Soccer should have a strictly enforced concussion protocol. After a vicious hit like this, the player in white should have been immediately removed from the game for his own safety, and have to spend the next several days going through the different steps of concussion recovery. ;)

Seriously, this might do wonders to clean up some of the nonsense that ruins the game of soccer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->