OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Odd day yesterday I got my identity stolen.

At about 2:00PM I got a call from my banker and an email where they sent me a copy of fake photo ID and the details of a scam some guy was trying to pull off in a Royal bank in Richmond BC. It was weird seeing a SIN card and a Manitoba drivers license with my name but someone else's photo. The man tried to deposit a cheque into one of my Royal accounts then withdraw the money immediately. I guess that was a cause for concern since he didn't have a bank card.....the banker set him up but he missed on my PIN three times and also Didn't know it was a US funds account. The Bank realized it was fishy and put an alert out to their branches and contacted my banker in Winnipeg showed him the drivers license and he told them the photo on the ID wasn't me. The guy then tried to do the same scam at another branch and it didn't work.

Then I called my TD banker and left her a message saying someone has my ID and is trying to access my accounts at the branch level in Vancouver so heads up. Two hours later I get a call from TD and they inform me this guy walked into a branch and presented fake ID and the teller gave him a new card they set up a new PIN and he proceeded to take $10,000 out of one of my accounts in multiple transactions over a short period of time. I guess those transactions triggered an internal alert and they froze my accounts and got in touch with me. I asked the guy from their fraud department if he had seen the fake ID and he said no.....I told him I could forward a copy of it from Royal because the SIN Card and Drivers license don't even have the same spelling of last name on them. He was clearly annoyed with the breach of security and said who knows maybe they just gave our teller a library card (he was being sarcastic and was clearly agitated).

Anyways just a heads up to everyone that it is pretty easy to get hacked. Somehow someone aquired my information and either resold it to a forger or did the work themselves and created fake ID and sold it on a black market.

Interesting it wasn't a high level scam because the ID was shotty and the old dude was going bank to bank trying scams which has risk associated considering he now has a copy of his photo on fake ID and he stole money. Even though it was low level the the dude made $10 grand yesterday being a ********* which annoys me that he got away with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Shaw Business internet & phones apparently down across the country. Oh goodie.

I was installing a Shaw fiber on business premise, and when it went down they came to me and accused me of knocking down their internet. Spent a half hour checking everything in their server room for unpatched stuff lol.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

At about 2:00PM I got a call from my banker and an email where they sent me a copy of fake photo ID and the details of a scam some guy was trying to pull off in a Royal bank in Richmond BC. It was weird seeing a SIN card and a Manitoba drivers license with my name but someone else's photo. The man tried to deposit a cheque into one of my Royal accounts then withdraw the money immediately. I guess that was a cause for concern since he didn't have a bank card.....the banker set him up but he missed on my PIN three times and also Didn't know it was a US funds account. The Bank realized it was fishy and put an alert out to their branches and contacted my banker in Winnipeg showed him the drivers license and he told them the photo on the ID wasn't me. The guy then tried to do the same scam at another branch and it didn't work.

Then I called my TD banker and left her a message saying someone has my ID and is trying to access my accounts at the branch level in Vancouver so heads up. Two hours later I get a call from TD and they inform me this guy walked into a branch and presented fake ID and the teller gave him a new card they set up a new PIN and he proceeded to take $10,000 out of one of my accounts in multiple transactions over a short period of time. I guess those transactions triggered an internal alert and they froze my accounts and got in touch with me. I asked the guy from their fraud department if he had seen the fake ID and he said no.....I told him I could forward a copy of it from Royal because the SIN Card and Drivers license don't even have the same spelling of last name on them. He was clearly annoyed with the breach of security and said who knows maybe they just gave our teller a library card (he was being sarcastic and was clearly agitated).

Anyways just a heads up to everyone that it is pretty easy to get hacked. Somehow someone aquired my information and either resold it to a forger or did the work themselves and created fake ID and sold it on a black market.

Interesting it wasn't a high level scam because the ID was shotty and the old dude was going bank to bank trying scams which has risk associated considering he now has a copy of his photo on fake ID and he stole money. Even though it was low level the the dude made $10 grand yesterday being a ********* which annoys me that he got away with it.

Wow - that totally sucks. You get your credit report to see if there's been any other suspicious activity? Any idea how your information got out there? Be prepared for this to happen again - if your identity is out there, the cat's not going to go back in the bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wow - that totally sucks. You get your credit report to see if there's been any other suspicious activity? Any idea how your information got out there? Be prepared for this to happen again - if your identity is out there, the cat's not going to go back in the bag.

24 hours ago I couldn't have told you the first thing about this but now I am up to speed. I contacted Trans union and Equifax to get registered so any future attempt at credit applications are red flagged. They also put me in touch with the anti fraud centre to get registered. Next I file a police report start a journal with all the events...then go to the post office with the police report to make sure my mail isn't rerouted......notify banks and authorities like SIN and drivers license issuesers. Apparently I can hire a company to monitor all my transactions daily for future fraud attempts. Also I have to be aware that 6 years from now when I am removed from Trans Union and Equifax I will probably get hit again. I also have to go into my banks reduce daily limits probably get email updates daily on any transactions etc.

Joy in joyville.

The challenge is nobody gives a ****....I'm not out money....the bank isn't out money....insurance carrier gets hit but that is priced into their model......the beat goes on.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I was installing a Shaw fiber on business premise, and when it went down they came to me and accused me of knocking down their internet. Spent a half hour checking everything in their server room for unpatched stuff lol.

Everyone on one of the groups I'm apart of said I have no phones and internet.

Ps that royally sucks :(

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
how the hell would a teller let somebody walk in with a couple pieces of ID, set up a new card and give them a new pin (and allow them to withdraw 10 grand!) without making them enter the old pin first?? Seems like a teller needs to lose a job there...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
how the hell would a teller let somebody walk in with a couple pieces of ID, set up a new card and give them a new pin (and allow them to withdraw 10 grand!) without making them enter the old pin first?? Seems like a teller needs to lose a job there...

Apparently it's not uncommon. TD Gave the guy whatever he needed....RBC stopped short of giving this guy money but they did give him a list of all my account numbers and visa information. I guess this is a common scam right now according to my banker and he thinks this guy was in their branch two weeks ago in Winnipeg. He said they called the police right away because the dude was on the police priority list and they held him off at the branch for 20 minutes using excuses but the police never got there in time to arrest him.......however the next day two police arrived and spent over an hour in the branch debriefing their missed opprotunity :laugh:

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
24 hours ago I couldn't have told you the first thing about this but now I am up to speed. I contacted Trans union and Equifax to get registered so any future attempt at credit applications are red flagged. They also put me in touch with the anti fraud centre to get registered. Next I file a police report start a journal with all the events...then go to the post office with the police report to make sure my mail isn't rerouted......notify banks and authorities like SIN and drivers license issuesers. Apparently I can hire a company to monitor all my transactions daily for future fraud attempts. Also I have to be aware that 6 years from now when I am removed from Trans Union and Equifax I will probably get hit again. I also have to go into my banks reduce daily limits probably get email updates daily on any transactions etc.

Joy in joyville.

The challenge is nobody gives a ****....I'm not out money....the bank isn't out money....insurance carrier gets hit but that is priced into their model......the beat goes on.

Same thing happened to a good friend of mine a couple of years ago. took 10+ g's and signed up for cards and cellphones. The lady just walked into a branch and they didn't even question it.

From everything you've described, he had to do all of these things as well. Sounds extremely similar.

Unfortunate news.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
All you can do is be careful and hope for the best...

Last week, for the first time ever, I used my debit card at a food kiosk at the HSC. Within a day I got a call from BMO telling me they they locked my card because of too many invalid PIN attempts. Scary given how many people shop there every day.

The only time I was somewhat hacked was at the Holiday Inn in Fargo. Someone was sniffing their wifi to steal email adressses and passwords. I accessed my Shaw email from the hotel. They then used my email to try and access things like my PayPal account. Didn't work because I use a different password for every site or thing I use online.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Will be working at HSC/St. Boniface hospital. Looking to rent a 1 bedroom apartment!

Google 300 Tache. It sounds like it could be perfect for you. A very cool place on a great street, within throwing distance of the hospital.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
All you can do is be careful and hope for the best...

Last week, for the first time ever, I used my debit card at a food kiosk at the HSC. Within a day I got a call from BMO telling me they they locked my card because of too many invalid PIN attempts. Scary given how many people shop there every day.

The only time I was somewhat hacked was at the Holiday Inn in Fargo. Someone was sniffing their wifi to steal email adressses and passwords. I accessed my Shaw email from the hotel. They then used my email to try and access things like my PayPal account. Didn't work because I use a different password for every site or thing I use online.

I seem to get my card scammed stateside about once every couple of years. Always leery about using cards on pin pads but thus far (knock on wood) I haven't been hit hard yet. My shaw email address did send about 10K emails in two minutes a couple of years ago though.

Sorry about the situation PS.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Yikes, that sounds rough dude. Did the bank reimburse you the money that he took out of your account? Do you have any ideas on how your information was exposed to the bad guys?

Shaw email doesn't use TLS? Sounds like time to switch to another email provider

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone interested in doing some regional scouting for a startup scouting website? Looking for OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL, NCAA, Finland, Czech, Sweden, Swiss and Russian regional scouts looking to maybe make a name for themselves and contribute on a new website that focuses on the NHL entry draft, QMJHL entry draft, OHL priority draft, WHL bantam draft, CHL import draft and USHL draft. I figure what better place to look for new up and comers than here on HFJets first. PM me for more details. I want to get my new website up and running for the 2018 draft. This will definitely be more hobby scouting at first (unpaid) but if all goes right it could lead into different avenues individually and as a whole. Do not worry I will cover all costs of the site and if anything changes you will be notified. I'm not looking for people to buy in, just looking for people who have a passion for watching and evaluating draft prospects and will be able to do so in a critical way as this site will focus heavily on strengths and weaknesses. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yikes, that sounds rough dude. Did the bank reimburse you the money that he took out of your account? Do you have any ideas on how your information was exposed to the bad guys?

Yea I am not out any cash its just a massive hassle. Bank also passes the loss on to their insurance provider and the beat goes on. At this point I do not know how they got my information but the ID is clearly forged.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone interested in doing some regional scouting for a startup scouting website? Looking for OHL, QMJHL, WHL, USHL, NCAA, Finland, Czech, Sweden, Swiss and Russian regional scouts looking to maybe make a name for themselves and contribute on a new website that focuses on the NHL entry draft, QMJHL entry draft, OHL priority draft, WHL bantam draft, CHL import draft and USHL draft. I figure what better place to look for new up and comers than here on HFJets first. PM me for more details. I want to get my new website up and running for the 2018 draft. This will definitely be more hobby scouting at first (unpaid) but if all goes right it could lead into different avenues individually and as a whole. Do not worry I will cover all costs of the site and if anything changes you will be notified. I'm not looking for people to buy in, just looking for people who have a passion for watching and evaluating draft prospects and will be able to do so in a critical way as this site will focus heavily on strengths and weaknesses. Send me a PM if you are interested.

You're already better than Grant McCagg.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

Unfortunately happens too often. I used to work in the banking industry and from experience some associates can get lax at times with security cause a big problem is that when they are being diligent and making sure the right questions are being asked and proper procedures are followed more often than not some impatient customer is uncooperative and giving them such grief when they are just trying to do their jobs properly. And when it's a call-centre situation even worse when you're getting sworn at because the person can't be bothered to answer the verification questions that are supposed to be asked. Of course some times it's just a teller/associate being easily manipulated or lazy and skipping proper procedures, but if the real customers would also understand that the security procedures are not meant as a personal insult then that would certainly help.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Unfortunately happens too often. I used to work in the banking industry and from experience some associates can get lax at times with security cause a big problem is that when they are being diligent and making sure the right questions are being asked and proper procedures are followed more often than not some impatient customer is uncooperative and giving them such grief when they are just trying to do their jobs properly. And when it's a call-centre situation even worse when you're getting sworn at because the person can't be bothered to answer the verification questions that are supposed to be asked. Of course some times it's just a teller/associate being easily manipulated or lazy and skipping proper procedures, but if the real customers would also understand that the security procedures are not meant as a personal insult then that would certainly help.

Yea I get it for sure. I work with a young work force and at the end of the day when people are new there are going to be mistakes. The sad part is the two pieces of ID the guy presented had my last name spelled differently. Also at RBC all they did was have a look at the signatures (since mine is available to the teller) and they were nowhere near close. Either way errors are going to happen.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Yea I get it for sure. I work with a young work force and at the end of the day when people are new there are going to be mistakes. The sad part is the two pieces of ID the guy prgesented had my last name spelled differently. Also at RBC all they did was have a look at the signatures (since mine is available to the teller) and they were nowhere near close. Either way errors are going to happen.

Yeah in your case just sounds like huge errors on the bank's part and I was just alluding to more of a general problem with the balance of service and security for banks and the impatience of today's society. Anyways the worst part is the huge hassle for you going forward, sorry it happened man.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I find it hard to believe any customer would take issue with being asked to provide the old PIN before being given a new one...if they can't, then they should be required to give some other piece of security info that only the real person would know.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I find it hard to believe any customer would take issue with being asked to provide the old PIN before being given a new one...if they can't, then they should be required to give some other piece of security info that only the real person would know.

I used to work at the RBC call centre in the city, anyone that gave me a hard time over security just got extra security questions. :)

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Has anyone had any experience using Peg City Co-op?
I've always toyed around the idea of my future living without a car to save costs and better environmentally, and I'm wondering if anyone has any opinion on their services?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad