OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Scented products should be banned from public spaces. They adversely affect the health of some people, and just flat out annoy many other people. Even people who don't mind scented products in general will have their likes and dislikes when it comes to scents. More and more workplaces have made it policy to not wear such products and this will only increase. Scented products are in essence the new tobacco.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
Scented products should be banned from public spaces. They adversely affect the health of some people, and just flat out annoy many other people. Even people who don't mind scented products in general will have their likes and dislikes when it comes to scents. More and more workplaces have made it policy to not wear such products and this will only increase. Scented products are in essence the new tobacco.

I actually react very badly to smelling some scents.

Eyes water and get red, start sneezing, and nose gets uncontrollably itchy.

I do like to wear cologne though and I'm sensitive to how strong it is and HOW I THINK it smells because I want to smell nice for me, and not force people in a 20 yard perimeter to inhale the scent as well.

Sadly I tend to have no or fewer allergic reactions to colognes in the higher price points. Less cheap chemicals??

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
What would chairs look like if your knees bent the other way?

Ergonomic_Saddle_Chair_2.jpg

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Especially offices. We have a strict no scent policy, but there is a guy who sits close to me that wears so much cologne that my eyes water and my nose runs. I can tell he's in the office before I enter the floor.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Especially offices. We have a strict no scent policy, but there is a guy who sits close to me that wears so much cologne that my eyes water and my nose runs. I can tell he's in the office before I enter the floor.

I don't get the heavy cologne on dudes move?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

So, not so strict apparently. I would complain to HR. If all else fails, put a large fan on your desk and blast him with it. I think the message will get through. :laugh:

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Ha, reminds me of the final exams of our high school equivalent. Our no-nonsense principal gave us strict instructions beforehand that on the morning of the day of our six-hour exam we were to take a shower and then *not* use any kind of scent because it'd get unbearable and incapacitating in our gym hall otherwise.

Which was nice and dandy except that the teachers watching over the exam apparently hadn't had the same instructions, and one of the elder lady type we got for loans from the elementary school had seen it fit to bathe herself in perfume on her part.

I'd hazard to guess I wasn't the only one thinking if it would be appropriate to ask from the head supervisor if the teacher in question could **** off and go stink elsewhere.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
And, of course, it will b sunny and 20 Celsius tomorrow. :shakehead

Ol' Mom Nature has a wicked sense of humour! I was out a bit around 8pm Monday evening and noticed the clouds were finally cracking and letting a bit of blue sky through. I thought to myself how entertaining that must be for all the folks/families driving home from their weekend of camping in the rain and gloom.

The really frustrating thing to me (and I'm a bit of a weather obsessive thanks to living for several years in a house that had water issues) was the fact that the forecast until probably last Thursday afternoon had the weekend pegged as sunny and warm. Then all of a sudden by Thursday eve the forecast was nothing but cloud and rain. Its a recurrent theme in forecasting that has me wondering if Environment Canada isn't in cahoots with the campsites or something, lol...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Its a recurrent theme in forecasting that has me wondering if Environment Canada isn't in cahoots with the campsites or something, lol...

They just aren't good at what they do. It's been that way for a very long time. When my wife and I were in grad school we lived in an apartment that had the (then) big cable channels like TBS, etc. I don't remember the Chicago station we got (WGN maybe) but we'd watch their news broadcasts for the accuweather forecasts that were always more accurate than anything we'd get locally. The "Winnipeg area" was tucked way up in the top left corner of the screen and never mentioned but there was always temperature and cloud cover information there.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They just aren't good at what they do. It's been that way for a very long time. When my wife and I were in grad school we lived in an apartment that had the (then) big cable channels like TBS, etc. I don't remember the Chicago station we got (WGN maybe) but we'd watch their news broadcasts for the accuweather forecasts that were always more accurate than anything we'd get locally. The "Winnipeg area" was tucked way up in the top left corner of the screen and never mentioned but there was always temperature and cloud cover information there.

The US definitely has better weather radar, which is a big benefit for predicting near-term precipitation, storms, hail, tornados, etc. - And all the fancy graphics they put up during the nightly news.

But everyone uses some combination of weather models to predict the forecast. There are many different ones and some have tendencies to be optimistic/pessimistic in certain areas or for certain types of weather. I think EC uses a composite of a few models to try and develop their forecasts here. Plus satellite maps, radar, weather balloons...I think they get readings from commercial aircraft about conditions higher in the atmosphere. It's a tricky business with lots of variables...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The US definitely has better weather radar, which is a big benefit for predicting near-term precipitation, storms, hail, tornados, etc. - And all the fancy graphics they put up during the nightly news.

But everyone uses some combination of weather models to predict the forecast. There are many different ones and some have tendencies to be optimistic/pessimistic in certain areas or for certain types of weather. I think EC uses a composite of a few models to try and develop their forecasts here. Plus satellite maps, radar, weather balloons...I think they get readings from commercial aircraft about conditions higher in the atmosphere. It's a tricky business with lots of variables...

For sure. One of the interesting things was that the U.S. stations rarely ever (at the time) ventured into anything long term. At best they'd forecast a day or two ahead. That was reasonable.

I simply operate on the premise that any forecasts out longer than a couple of days are simply based on long term averages.

Models are, regardless of the field of study, only as good as the inputs being used. Complex, chaotic systems, of which weather is a prime example, are very difficult to model accurately.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I simply operate on the premise that any forecasts out longer than a couple of days are simply based on long term averages.

yeah me too ftmp. You can't make any plans at all based on the forecast beyond a couple days ahead. It's essentially a crap shoot...and I can look at the weather radar myself to figure out the weather for the next couple days lol. Which begs the question "do we even need weathermen?" :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad