OT: Jets Lounge: Rogue Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Soccer should have a strictly enforced concussion protocol. After a vicious hit like this, the player in white should have been immediately removed from the game for his own safety, and have to spend the next several days going through the different steps of concussion recovery. ;)

Seriously, this might do wonders to clean up some of the nonsense that ruins the game of soccer.

You jest, but since they don't have stoppages in soccer, a player taken off for concussion protocol checking would leave his team shorthanded for (probably) around 10 minutes of playing time. While I do think it would be fun to see the reaction from diving players, it would unfortunately be somewhat detrimental to the game.:laugh:

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Just watched the series finale to The Leftovers. No spoilers here, just thought it was a beautiful and satisfying end to a wonderful show. And I will say, with a certain amount of smugness, that I correctly guessed from the start what happened to those who disappeared. Or at least, it's how I would have written it. Bravo Damon Lindelof. I look forward to your next endeavour.

We are truly in the Golden Age of television. Yes, there's still a lot of stupid out there but there is also so much that is intelligent and creative and challenging for those who would seek that.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just watched the series finale to The Leftovers. No spoilers here, just thought it was a beautiful and satisfying end to a wonderful show. And I will say, with a certain amount of smugness, that I correctly guessed from the start what happened to those who disappeared. Or at least, it's how I would have written it. Bravo Damon Lindelof. I look forward to your next endeavour.

We are truly in the Golden Age of television. Yes, there's still a lot of stupid out there but there is also so much that is intelligent and creative and challenging for those who would seek that.

Agreed. For me, it has cemented itself as one of the best shows ever made. So intelligent, so creative, so unique and always keeping the audience on their toes. There are very few shows where you literally have no idea what's going to happen in the next episode and which go to as crazy places story telling wise like this show did. And oh that music... that music is out of this world

The series finale was fantastic, without going into spoilers, it was very disorienting and I had no idea what was going on for the first 50 minutes of the episode and then it hits you like a ton of bricks in the last 15-20 mins and everything falls into place. Very sad to see it end but happy it ended in such a satisfying way and on such a high note.

As a huge fan of LOST all the way through and a fan of Prometheus, I never had any doubts that Lindelof would deliver.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno

i put a bottle of something nice in the fridge for my wife and i to enjoy while we watch it tonight (3 year old bottle of Bruery's "Oude Tart").

Leftovers is like Lost, but without losing momentum. didn't love S2. S3's been mostly great.

and yes, we are in the golden age of non-cable television. Leftovers, Better Call Saul and Fargo. I don't like American Gods (gave up after episode 2). will watch Handmaid's Tale soon. sadly, no good comedies other than the Canadian ones. Mr D and Baroness Von Sketch are amazing

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Interesting I will put leftovers on my list of TV shows to binge watch. I have also heard very good things about Farbo but in both cases it doesn't seem like they are available to catch up on on Shaw?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
i put a bottle of something nice in the fridge for my wife and i to enjoy while we watch it tonight (3 year old bottle of Bruery's "Oude Tart").

Leftovers is like Lost, but without losing momentum. didn't love S2. S3's been mostly great.

and yes, we are in the golden age of non-cable television. Leftovers, Better Call Saul and Fargo. I don't like American Gods (gave up after episode 2). will watch Handmaid's Tale soon. sadly, no good comedies other than the Canadian ones. Mr D and Baroness Von Sketch are amazing

I would recommend Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix, and Brooklyn Nine Nine, also on Netflix, but it's actually a Fox Network original. B99 is worth your time watching for Andre Braugher alone. His delivery of lines and role as the "straight-man" (while playing a gay character) is nothing short of brilliant. Overall the show can be uneven, and some of the comedy is low-brow, but when it rises above it's awesome.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Interesting I will put leftovers on my list of TV shows to binge watch. I have also heard very good things about Farbo but in both cases it doesn't seem like they are available to catch up on on Shaw?

Call me out of step with the times but I just can't get into binge watching. Part of the enjoyment of watching a good episodic TV show where an actual story is told from beginning to end, not just your basic crisis of the week or whatever show, is that you have time to reflect and make it a shared experience with the weekly post-episode rehash/analysis with your friends or co-workers. Wow, what happened last night? What do you think that meant? Where do you think they're going with this?

It also feels more real to make it an ongoing part of your life. On a good show, the characters develop, they grow and I find I can feel that more because my own life is changing, too. I don't want to be tethered while I watch other lives unfurl. Binge watching to me would be as unsatisfying as speed reading a novel. YMMV.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Call me out of step with the times but I just can't get into binge watching. Part of the enjoyment of watching a good episodic TV show where an actual story is told from beginning to end, not just your basic crisis of the week or whatever show, is that you have time to reflect and make it a shared experience with the weekly post-episode rehash/analysis with your friends or co-workers. Wow, what happened last night? What do you think that meant? Where do you think they're going with this?

It also feels more real to make it an ongoing part of your life. On a good show, the characters develop, they grow and I find I can feel that more because my own life is changing, too. I don't want to be tethered while I watch other lives unfurl. Binge watching to me would be as unsatisfying as speed reading a novel. YMMV.

I use to feel this way before I had the young family and the activities 6 nights a week :laugh:. When I say binge watch I am not the type to bang out a season on a weekend I do take my time. For instance "House of Cards" season 5 just got released on Netflix and I will go back and watch the last two episodes of season 4 to get reacquainted and I will take the summer to watch season 5.

To the bolded above do people still do that (not even kidding). My circle of TV following friends is a bit limited and then at work nobody has co-watched a TV show in a few years.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I would recommend Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix, and Brooklyn Nine Nine, also on Netflix, but it's actually a Fox Network original. B99 is worth your time watching for Andre Braugher alone. His delivery of lines and role as the "straight-man" (while playing a gay character) is nothing short of brilliant. Overall the show can be uneven, and some of the comedy is low-brow, but when it rises above it's awesome.

wife watches both of those without me. she said she got tired of UKS. not interested in B99 for some reason.
watched two episodes of Master of None. i love Eric Wareheim but i f'ing did not like that show.

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I don't like American Gods (gave up after episode 2).

I've read and re-read and re-re-read the book and am vaguely interested of the show whenever it gets somehow available to us. STARZ didn't go full Spartacus with that one, I hope?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I've read and re-read and re-re-read the book and am vaguely interested of the show whenever it gets somehow available to us. STARZ didn't go full Spartacus with that one, I hope?

it flows like Sin City, but without being a good film noir. the dialogue annoys me. fell asleep during the last 15 min of episode 2. it's that boring so far. but hey, Master of None and American Gods are above 90% on rottentomatoes.com so maybe it's just me? Get Out had a 99% on RT and we thought it was pretty good, but not 99% good

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
it flows like Sin City, but without being a good film noir. the dialogue annoys me. fell asleep during the last 15 min of episode 2. it's that boring so far. but hey, Master of None and American Gods are above 90% on rottentomatoes.com so maybe it's just me? Get Out had a 99% on RT and we thought it was pretty good, but not 99% good

I watched the first episode of American Gods and I enjoyed it, but I haven't gone back to see Episode 2 yet. This is definitely my most-active/least-time-for-TV time of the year.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Rotten Tomatoes is a review aggregator that has 0 nuance. A critic either likes, or dislikes a movie. IMO that system rewards mediocrity, and punishes risk taking.

I love the site, but use it to quickly look through multiple reviews, from people who liked or disliked a movie.

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

I *love* the book, and I *like* the show. I'd watch Ian McShane read the phonebook, though.

If nothing else, it's a treat for the eyes.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I use to feel this way before I had the young family and the activities 6 nights a week :laugh:. When I say binge watch I am not the type to bang out a season on a weekend I do take my time. For instance "House of Cards" season 5 just got released on Netflix and I will go back and watch the last two episodes of season 4 to get reacquainted and I will take the summer to watch season 5.

To the bolded above do people still do that (not even kidding). My circle of TV following friends is a bit limited and then at work nobody has co-watched a TV show in a few years.

It was becoming increasingly difficult. I blame the PVR. VCR's really motivated people to either watch it real time or get it watched up in short order. :laugh:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Everyone still has cable?

uhhhh yeah sure "cable"

tumblr_nzj91mogD91qdug0jo1_400.gif

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I *love* the book, and I *like* the show. I'd watch Ian McShane read the phonebook, though.

Lovejoy is actually my latest binge-watching experience. Our domestic Yle had gotten the whole series available on their online Areena service and I woke up to the fact too late when the first episodes were going out already so I was surfing a tide with them. Ended up missing only one episode.

Now if there is no acted segment on "violin play", or how to dwindle someone with a supposed "antique" violin, I consider it a missed opportunity.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Hmh, couldn't resist the temptation to read a couple of episode recaps, because, well, there's not much risk of getting spoiled at this point for me. Not too much deviation from the source material I guess, which should be fine for me.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
uhhhh yeah sure "cable"

tumblr_nzj91mogD91qdug0jo1_400.gif

there are cables in my house. do you need a cable, sir?

i went to an HD antenna over 5 years ago. a bit better in Toronto than in Wpg, i assume. $50 and then buhbye $90/month on HD cable services.

it's at the point where my HDTV is sitting in the basement, collecting dust. kind of funny

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
there are cables in my house. do you need a cable, sir?

i went to an HD antenna over 5 years ago. a bit better in Toronto than in Wpg, i assume. $50 and then buhbye $90/month on HD cable services.

it's at the point where my HDTV is sitting in the basement, collecting dust. kind of funny

Isn't that basically the equivalent of "FarmerVision" in Manitoba? Like 3 channels, 4 on a good day?

Everyone still has cable?

Unless the reliability with sports streaming has improved substantially, I'm keeping my cable for sports. Trying to watch sports with dropped frames, stuttering, buffering and the stream outright crashing is the worst.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Isn't that basically the equivalent of "FarmerVision" in Manitoba? Like 3 channels, 4 on a good day?

Unless the reliability with sports streaming has improved substantially, I'm keeping my cable for sports. Trying to watch sports with dropped frames, stuttering, buffering and the stream outright crashing is the worst.

I agree, I'm one of the dwindling few who just want TV to work all the time and in HD. Especially sports. Besides, my wife would NOT like having to do anything even close to technology related in order to watch TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->