OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just finished watching Endgame.

It was really really good. I preferred it to Infinity War. I think people saying it’s one of the greatest movies of all time are out to lunch but it is still very good. Highly recommended, especially (obviously) for Marvel fans.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Just finished watching Endgame.

It was really really good. I preferred it to Infinity War. I think people saying it’s one of the greatest movies of all time are out to lunch but it is still very good. Highly recommended, especially (obviously) for Marvel fans.
Yeah it was a good movie. Still doesn’t make my top 3 but I think that’s cause the ending ticked me off a bit. Very nice touches for the fans though.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Going to see Endgame on the weekend , i gotta say if Marvel cast anyone other than Robert Downey Jr in the very first of these movies , i don't know if it would have become as big as it did . I liked all of the movies but i would say all the Iron Man movies were the best and Civil War and Spider-man because of Downey being a factor in both . As a side note i just watched Venom the other night because i didn't think that movie would be very good , it was very well done and very funny .

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Argh. Phoned my docs office today to set up an appointment and found out my doctor is moving to a clinic way the F down portage. Apparently they sent me a notice. No you certainly did not. So I either go to my parents' doc whom I know what to expect or go with the new doc at the same clinic.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Argh. Phoned my docs office today to set up an appointment and found out my doctor is moving to a clinic way the F down portage. Apparently they sent me a notice. No you certainly did not. So I either go to my parents' doc whom I know what to expect or go with the new doc at the same clinic.
Check ratemds

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Going to see Endgame on the weekend , i gotta say if Marvel cast anyone other than Robert Downey Jr in the very first of these movies , i don't know if it would have become as big as it did . I liked all of the movies but i would say all the Iron Man movies were the best and Civil War and Spider-man because of Downey being a factor in both . As a side note i just watched Venom the other night because i didn't think that movie would be very good , it was very well done and very funny .

Meh Iron Man, Civil War, and Spider-man movies don't even crack to the top 10 in terms of Marvel movies for me. RDJ is a very charismatic actor though who does a good job. What a comeback story for him those movies turned out to be though.

My top 10 Marvel movies would be...
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Black Panther
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
5. Captain Marvel
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7. Doctor Strange
8. Ant-Man
9. Marvel's The Avengers
10. Ant-Man and The Wasp
HM: Avengers: Age of Ultron if the Studio hadn't butched Whedon's version.
Note I haven't seen Endgame yet.
It's amazing to me how much of the ones I hated were the early ones (Thor, Thor 2, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3).

Civil War was the biggest missed opportunity, IMO. It started with great and current commentary of the pros and cons of government surveillance, government tracking, basic humans rights versus safety. Then instead of exploring those issues it devolved into a stupid long fight and then unite to fight a generic bad guy without an exploration of those themes at all. No resolutions is ok, no exploration at all is not. Good fantasy/sci-fi explores current themes through a lense that allows you to exaggerate, Civil War fails MISERABLY on those accounts.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Meh Iron Man, Civil War, and Spider-man movies don't even crack to the top 10 in terms of Marvel movies for me. RDJ is a very charismatic actor though who does a good job. What a comeback story for him those movies turned out to be though.

My top 10 Marvel movies would be...
1. Guardians of the Galaxy
2. Thor: Ragnarok
3. Black Panther
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 2
5. Captain Marvel
6. Avengers: Infinity War
7. Doctor Strange
8. Ant-Man
9. Marvel's The Avengers
10. Ant-Man and The Wasp
HM: Avengers: Age of Ultron if the Studio hadn't butched Whedon's version.
Note I haven't seen Endgame yet.
It's amazing to me how much of the ones I hated were the early ones (Thor, Thor 2, Winter Soldier, Civil War, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3).

Civil War was the biggest missed opportunity, IMO. It started with great and current commentary of the pros and cons of government surveillance, government tracking, basic humans rights versus safety. Then instead of exploring those issues it devolved into a stupid long fight and then unite to fight a generic bad guy without an exploration of those themes at all. No resolutions is ok, no exploration at all is not. Good fantasy/sci-fi explores current themes through a lense that allows you to exaggerate, Civil War fails MISERABLY on those accounts.

Nice list, I’d say mine is similar except my blatant love for the one that started it all. I’m also not as high on Guardians 2.

I agree with you on Civil War and have the same view regarding Iron Man 3. Very interesting themes there too, but kind of unexplored and a movie that wasn’t very entertaining. At the end of the day we’re not looking for some deep commentary but it’s nice to see Marvel more willing to go there lately.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Has anyone been to Vegas with their kids who are under 21? Was there enough things for them to do?
Yes I took the whole family down there a few summers ago. My kids would've been 12, 10 and 8 at the time. There is plenty to do - although mid-summer is hot as f***. It was 115 F in the shade when we got there, and so dry...like walking around in an oven. If you're out in the sun, god help you! We rented a black minivan with black leather seats and it was approximately as comfortable driving around in a kiln. The AC could hardly keep up - it kept the temperature below heat-stroke levels, but you had to drive for about 30 minutes before it became comfortably cool. It did cool off to about 90 F at night. So get a place with a pool...drink plenty of liquids.

So you can expect hot and sunny weather in the summer. The kids spent a lot of time in the pool. There are plenty of family type attractions there - every hotel on the Strip is a marvel: the Venetian, the Bellagio fountains, etc. New York, New York has a roller coaster and other kids' stuff. The Luxor is an interesting structure (and actually smaller than the Great Pyramid)...I'm not sure if you can still ride the elevators, but it's a weird experience going up and sideways. Mandalay Bay has an aquarium (and one of the better pool setups, but it's at the far end of the Strip). There's the giant ferris wheel thing - the High Roller. Downtown Vegas has the covered Fremont Street Experience (just don't wander out of the immediate vicinity of Fremont for any reason or you will definitely be murdered, they tell me).

Once you're tired of swimming and the Strip there are some natural attractions - the landscape is so different from what we generally see here. Valley of Fire State Park is about an hour north of the city and it's worth the trip. It's like being on a different planet. If you don't want to go that far, Red Rock Canyon is just west of the city and it's also pretty cool. Hoover Dam is pretty amazing...45 minutes east of town. One thing I've done a few times is come into Vegas from the east at night - it's pitch black, you go around a bend and the whole city is laid out before you on the valley floor.

Side trip: The Grand Canyon is kinda close but also kinda inconvenient - the West Rim is closest to the city, but it's not the true Grand Canyon experience - that's at the South Rim (about 4 hours away). But if you're going to rent a car and road-trip a bit, you can drive it, hit Kingman on old Route 66 for lunch, stay a night in Tusayan, do a day at the canyon and head south to Sedona (2hr) or Phoenix (4hr).

Sedona's pretty amazing - it looks like the backdrop for the Coyote and Roadrunner cartoons. Coming into Sedona from the north, take 89A - it's a mind-blowing drive down through the Oak Creek canyon. Stop at Slide Rock State Park to swim. If you need healing crystals or other general spiritual/mystical malarkey, Sedona's your town! There are also at least 2 high end kaleidoscope stores. It's a quirky place. You can fly home out of Phoenix or head back to Vegas - Westjet and Allegiant both fly direct out of both cities.

I didn't do the Vegas-Grand Canyon-Sedona trip with the kids...but I totally would. With the kids, we just spent a week in Vegas. We'd planned to do the Grand Canyon but it was too much driving (8+ hours round trip? No thanks!). And helicopters were a bit pricey to take the whole fam.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
So HFBoards wants to encourage me to pay to use by putting a mile of adds between the bottom of threads and the link to go back to the forum thread list...how about add value for premium users rather than make life miserable for free users? Now it's got an adblock catcher to further force this new garbage layout?

Gross.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So HFBoards wants to encourage me to pay to use by putting a mile of adds between the bottom of threads and the link to go back to the forum thread list...how about add value for premium users rather than make life miserable for free users? Now it's got an adblock catcher to further force this new garbage layout?

Gross.

they MUST get the message out there that US Cardiologist says "it's like a pressure washer for your insides"; also are you not interested in how "insert actress name here" from "insert 80s sitcom name here" grew up to be GORGEOUS?

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
they MUST get the message out there that US Cardiologist says "it's like a pressure washer for your insides"; also are you not interested in how "insert actress name here" from "insert 80s sitcom name here" grew up to be GORGEOUS?

Yeah, it’s not punishment. They want to inform their users about the smartwatch that all Canadians are talking about, and they’re doing it out of the goodness of their hearts :sarcasm:

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
A friend of mine went with his parents as a teenager. He spent the next fifty years chasing tall blondes ‍♀️

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
A friend of mine went with his parents as a teenager. He spent the next fifty years chasing tall blondes ‍♀️

This is the only tall blonde that I'm ever going to get.

51JguLUZf2L._SX425_.jpg

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Congrats to the 2019 Manitoba Hockey Hall of Fame class. So proud of 1 player in particular but there is certainly no I in team. Looking forward to a fantastic evening in October!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad