OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
BerMax owners arrested for staging the attack and anti-semitic graffiti in the restaurant. Some of you smelled something fishy going on here, as did that the Jewish Post & News website

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bermax-winnipeg-antisemitic-arrest-1.5109224

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/police-allege-robbery-and-anti-semitic-graffiti-staged-by-café-owners-1.4393252

What is really fishy is the Be'TLV group (which was adjacent to the cafe), decide to make a GoFundMe page dedicated to helping clean and restore the cafe. Only problem is:

1. The GoFundMe page was set up on March 20, one month BEFORE the alleged attack
2. They had changed the purpose of their GoFundMe page a couple of times, from what it was originally.

Not sure what to think about this, but they had raised over $1000.00 towards their objective. I sure as hell hope they will return all the money that was donated to the group.

Last edited:

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What is really fishy is the Be'TLV group (which was adjacent to the cafe), decide to make a GoFundMe page dedicated to helping clean and restore the cafe. Only problem is:

1. The GoFndMe page was set up on March 20, one month BEFORE the alleged attack
2. They had changed the purpose of their GoFundMe page a couple of times, from what it was originally.

Not sure what to think about this, but they had raised over $1000.00 towards their objective. I sure as hell hope they will return all the money that was donated to the group.

I had read it was still active but was now suspended. I believe gofundme's policy is to refund money to people after a fundraiser is linked to a scam or for nefarious purposes? What were the changes they had made to the purpose of the gofundme page, what I had read was it was in support of the 'attack' from earlier in the year.

Just further tells me this was a feeble attempt at making some money and trying to increase business by milking the sympathy off of the pubic outcry. Winnipeg is an easy target for that since Maclean's deemed us the most racist city in Canada. They had probably staged every single one.

I guess shouldn't be surprised after that Jussie Smollett mess in the States.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I had read it was still active but was now suspended. I believe gofundme's policy is to refund money to people after a fundraiser is linked to a scam or for nefarious purposes? What were the changes they had made to the purpose of the gofundme page, what I had read was it was in support of the 'attack' from earlier in the year.

Just further tells me this was a feeble attempt at making some money and trying to increase business by milking the sympathy off of the pubic outcry. Winnipeg is an easy target for that since Maclean's deemed us the most racist city in Canada. They had probably staged every single one.

I guess shouldn't be surprised after that Jussie Smollett mess in the States.

I'm not exactly sure, but they had changed it a couple of times in the past week. At first it had nothing to do with the alleged attack. I wish I had a screenshot.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm not exactly sure, but they had changed it a couple of times in the past week. At first it had nothing to do with the alleged attack. I wish I had a screenshot.

Definitely suspicious

Edit: after doing some more reading and research, I don't believe this be'TLV group had anything to do with it, seems like they were also duped by the restaurant owners. They had also trashed their office or whatever it is they have there. Seems like they started the gofundme with good intentions and they are intending to refund all donations

Last edited:

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
It's been tough to avoid anything. I did read a suggestion to stay until after the credits, even though there is no stinger there is a surprise. Could it be that "sound" we had theorized? :crossfing:scared:

There better be something considering my bladder will be ready to burst after sitting three hours without going to the bathroom. ;)

Reactions: Afterburner

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
There better be something considering my bladder will be ready to burst after sitting three hours without going to the bathroom. ;)

This is why I wait till movies come to TV. Lower cost, comfier chair, better beer, pause button. And who cares about spoilers? Doesn't like everybody die in this one anyway? :laugh:

Reactions: snowkiddin

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I managed to make it through the whole 3 hours without one bathroom break! Feels like an accomplishment.

There was one scene with Captain America I have literally been waiting 30 years to see since I read it in the comics

Reactions: snowkiddin

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Anyone who has yet to see Avengers : Endgame, do your best to avoid spoilers!
That applies to everyone in this thread who has already seen it!

Excluding Endgame, what are everyone's top 3 MCU movies and why?

1. Iron Man. Bit of a nostalgia pick, I was only about 12-13 when I saw it at the movies with my cousins. Robert Downey Jr was perfectly cast and Iron Man is still my favourite Avenger. It's one of the few I enjoy re-watching.

2. Thor Ragnarok. Take a bow Taika blimmin Waititi. I already knew his humour well and was very pleased to see it shine in Ragnarok. And if you've seen Taika's other work you know he handles the sad and serious well too. Just an absolute joy to watch.

3. Black Panther/Captain Marvel. Maybe it's recency, maybe it's that they're somewhat removed from the Avengers quagmire. Some interesting ideas raised too, Killmonger in the museum for example. Reminded me in a way of 'The Man Who Lost His Head', an NZ/UK comedy drama about repatriation of a Maori relic. It was also nice to see a fresh take on Nick Fury. But I'd say Black Panther just takes it.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
That applies to everyone in this thread who has already seen it!

Excluding Endgame, what are everyone's top 3 MCU movies and why?

1. Iron Man. Bit of a nostalgia pick, I was only about 12-13 when I saw it at the movies with my cousins. Robert Downey Jr was perfectly cast and Iron Man is still my favourite Avenger. It's one of the few I enjoy re-watching.

2. Thor Ragnarok. Take a bow Taika blimmin Waititi. I already knew his humour well and was very pleased to see it shine in Ragnarok. And if you've seen Taika's other work you know he handles the sad and serious well too. Just an absolute joy to watch.

3. Black Panther/Captain Marvel. Maybe it's recency, maybe it's that they're somewhat removed from the Avengers quagmire. Some interesting ideas raised too, Killmonger in the museum for example. Reminded me in a way of 'The Man Who Lost His Head', an NZ/UK comedy drama about repatriation of a Maori relic. It was also nice to see a fresh take on Nick Fury. But I'd say Black Panther just takes it.

Haven’t seen most (I’ve seen maybe between a third to half of them) but, I’ll give it a stab anyway.

3. Cap 3
2. Spider-Man Homecoming
1. Guardians 1.

Haven’t seen any of your top 3 though (other than Captain Marvel) and haven’t seen Endgame yet neither.

Guardians 1 and Spider-Man is a toss up for me, but I love Guardians soundtrack so much to give it the slight edge. I really need to watch more MCU though ...

electroflare

Jun 17, 2018
1. Ragnarok
2.Infinity War
3.Homecoming

It’s crazy that after 22 movies, the quality of the MCU just keeps getting better and betters, there’s only 1 or 2 movies I’d actually consider bad, and they’re both from early on

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Endgame obliterates all box office opening weekend records. Hopefully it surpasses Avatar for all time worldwide gross.
Oh man I remember the Avatar hype, I was still in high school. Went along to the movie and while it was pretty, I remember getting bored.

I haven't seen Endgame yet and have no idea if Gamora stays dead or not, but if she doesn't and Endgame beats Avatar or even just Titanic, that would put Zoe Saldana in the top two highest-grossing films.

Don't any of you dare tell me if she is or isn't in the movie, I'm going tonight.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh man I remember the Avatar hype, I was still in high school. Went along to the movie and while it was pretty, I remember getting bored.

I haven't seen Endgame yet and have no idea if Gamora stays dead or not, but if she doesn't and Endgame beats Avatar or even just Titanic, that would put Zoe Saldana in the top two highest-grossing films.

Don't any of you dare tell me if she is or isn't in the movie, I'm going tonight.
Yeah I never got the Avatar phenomenon either...and I'm usually a sucker for SciFi.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yeah I never got the Avatar phenomenon either...and I'm usually a sucker for SciFi.

I think with Avatar, the story was pretty unoriginal (basically Dances with Wolves in space) but the visuals were pretty breathtaking for the time and it used 3-D technology well so it was a "must-see" movie and it became a phenomenon for that reason alone.

I saw it once, haven't since the original release and have no interest in the sequels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad