OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Tim Conway was great.....I grew up on the Carol Burnett show and have great memories how talented that cast was.

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just about done season 4 on GoT’s (one episode left). It is a well put together series. I was really not digging the entire North of the Wall story arc at all. To me it was just a distraction and sucks time away from the two more compelling story arcs (7 kingdoms and the eastern continent) . However it finally seemed to get on step on the second to last episode of the season. On balance I have really enjoyed the series they have lots of quality actors and have no fear of churning major characters. I also like the growth of characters and the complexities that brings.

Acting is freaking awesome although that is generally true of any really well written show.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Just about done season 4 on GoT’s (one episode left). It is a well put together series. I was really not digging the entire North of the Wall story arc at all. To me it was just a distraction and sucks time away from the two more compelling story arcs (7 kingdoms and the eastern continent) . However it finally seemed to get on step on the second to last episode of the season. On balance I have really enjoyed the series they have lots of quality actors and have no fear of churning major characters. I also like the growth of characters and the complexities that brings.

Acting is freaking awesome although that is generally true of any really well written show.

Why bother? You'll just be disappointed at the end like the hundreds of thousands of entitled snowflakes who are petitioning HBO to bring in a new creative team and remake the entire final season because it's just not turning out the way they wanted. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Honestly, it's really quite pathetic. On a par with the attempt to have an NFL playoff result overturned in court. :shakehead

Reactions: Robinson2187

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
Why bother? You'll just be disappointed at the end like the hundreds of thousands of entitled snowflakes who are petitioning HBO to bring in a new creative team and remake the entire final season because it's just not turning out the way they wanted. :laugh:

giphy.gif

Honestly, it's really quite pathetic. On a par with the attempt to have an NFL playoff result overturned in court. :shakehead

To be fair, it's pretty terrible

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

giphy.gif

HEY! Maybe some people will even come back to life!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

giphy.gif

Well like the Jets it’s not about the destination it’s about the journey.

Most of the great tv series f***ed up their final episode.......Mash made a deal with the devil and since then every great series except breaking bad has chunked it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Well like the Jets it’s not about the destination it’s about the journey.

Most of the great tv series ****ed up their final episode.......Mash made a deal with the devil and since then every great series except breaking bad has chunked it.
I think the trouble starts with GoT is when they run out of GRRM's source material. There seems to have been some kind of push to wrap it all up in a hurry and many fans have noted how rushed things were in the final season. Then again, I thought GRRM was starting to run into trouble with the book series - the first 3 were great, but the last couple have been...not so much. So, the greatness/60 curve was trending down before the show writers ran out of GRRM source.

Reactions: ps241

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I think the trouble starts with GoT is when they run out of GRRM's source material. There seems to have been some kind of push to wrap it all up in a hurry and many fans have noted how rushed things were in the final season. Then again, I thought GRRM was starting to run into trouble with the book series - the first 3 were great, but the last couple have been...not so much. So, the greatness/60 curve was trending down before the show writers ran out of GRRM source.
Yeah. It's pretty clear GRRM has no idea how to finish the series imo.

I still think season 6 is fantastic TV, 7 and 8 have clear storytelling issues but the cinematography, score, and production is top notch. If you are too invested in it, it might ruin the series for you but for me it was just a lackluster finish to what still is a great series.

Reactions: Huffer

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I still think season 6 is fantastic TV, 7 and 8 have clear storytelling issues but the cinematography, score, and production is top notch. If you are too invested in it, it might ruin the series for you but for me it was just a lackluster finish to what still is a great series.
I agree that, on the whole, it was phenomenal. The kind of quality you couldn't even imagine being on TV before HBO. The journey, not the ultimate destination, as ps241 said.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

I think he knows how to finish the series, he has just added so many characters and sideplots that he just doesn't know how to get there.

It's silly to have the entire series "ruined" for you by 1 episodes or even a series of episodes. Although in hindsight I have to say that there has to be a happy medium between the slow extremely drawn out pace of the story in the last 2 books by George and the fastforward version that the show did.

The impact of Game Of Thrones will be that it set the bar really high and now all the streaming services that have their own fantasy series (Wheel of Time, LOTR etc) in development will have to meet that, which I think is a great thing.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think he knows how to finish the series, he has just added so many characters and sideplots that he just doesn't know how to get there.

It's silly to have the entire series "ruined" for you by 1 episodes or even a series of episodes. Although in hindsight I have to say that there has to be a happy medium between the slow extremely drawn out pace of the story in the last 2 books by George and the fastforward version that the show did.

The impact of Game Of Thrones will be that it set the bar really high and now all the streaming services that have their own fantasy series (Wheel of Time, LOTR etc) in development will have to meet that, which I think is a great thing.

Wake me up when the Thomas Covenant books become a multi-year series.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
uLXXGhj.jpg

Jeebus, it's been too long to wait for Cup hockey. They could have started the series tonight!

Hope it's a sweep. Don't care who. Then teams will be free to announce major trades that will shake up the hockey world. Come on Chevy, get us that 1st rounder or two.

Reactions: Derfel

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I have never a basketball watcher but after watching this Raptors playoff run I think I might become a fan. I wish this sport happened in the summer between hockey seasons though.

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
This run is pretty exciting but I'm still not generally a big fan of basketball. 80% of the game feels worthless as it usually if not always comes down to the final quarter or even minutes, and the refereeing can be even more suspect than the NHL's at times. And then you have the realization that it's probably gonna be won by the one team drafted super well and made a strong team, and then got even better because a couple of guys went ring chasing. Toronto only got there by risking it all in trading an elite player for a superstar for the first time they wouldn't be destroyed by LeBron - as someone else on Twitter put it, Ujiri is the Kekelainen of the NBA.

I'll probably still watch the end of the games if they're somewhat close because the NHL lost my interest with this random long break in-between series.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This run is pretty exciting but I'm still not generally a big fan of basketball. 80% of the game feels worthless as it usually if not always comes down to the final quarter or even minutes, and the refereeing can be even more suspect than the NHL's at times. And then you have the realization that it's probably gonna be won by the one team drafted super well and made a strong team, and then got even better because a couple of guys went ring chasing. Toronto only got there by risking it all in trading an elite player for a superstar for the first time they wouldn't be destroyed by LeBron - as someone else on Twitter put it, Ujiri is the Kekelainen of the NBA.

I'll probably still watch the end of the games if they're somewhat close because the NHL lost my interest with this random long break in-between series.

Full disclosure my dad was a high school basketball coach in Saskatoon. I grew up loving the game and played it allot. One of my best friends as a kid followed in my dads footsteps and just retired after coaching basketball and being the Athletic director of his high school. I am far from a hater.

My struggle with The NBA is similar. I watched a bit again last night and it’s impossible to not get swept up in the emotion of the Raptors Story.

What I love about NBA basketball is the athleticism and how good it is on the TV platform. It’s a small court, camera angles are great, no helmets so you see players faces. Also it’s a flow sport “kind of” (more on that later). When it is on it really works. The volume of scoring creates allot of events in the game which is appealing to most.

What kind of killed the sport for me is what you mentioned WPGCheif. I have debated my dad and buddy on this point and we are still at a stalemate. I believe they kill the flow of the game by allowing too many time outs. It gives the appearance to me that the players are too stupid to figure it out on the fly (and I know that is not the case). Throughout the game I can live with it but in the last two minutes of the game it is one of elements that destroys the integrity of the sport for me. The second element is that you can kill the flow of play and force the game into a free throw contest. To me it creates the NBA version of the NHL shoot out. You take a perfect game, grind it too a haunt, and add in a skills contest. Like the NHL they use a gimmick to manufacture late game drama. If you like the NBA you are probably fine with this but I don’t like how they completely change the game for the last 90 seconds.

If they went to one time out per half and gave teams the option to maintain possession after being fouled in the last 90 seconds I would probably be a huge Fan of the NBA. As long as they stick with the current micromanaging model where they grind the game to a halt in the last 90 seconds to artificially manufacture drama I will probably keep doing what I am doing now which is watch a bit of the games when the Raps are doing really well in the playoffs.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
I said to my better half that it would take 19 minutes to finish the last 6 1/2 minutes of the raptors game

I was wrong

It took 29 minutes

Half of them were shots of Drake

:facepalm:

Reactions: Gm0ney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad