OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
My partner and I were in Notre Dame several months ago. Neither of us are religious, but the experience was indescribable. A very sad day.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Looks like there was an accident due to the renovations they are doing. I guess it wouldn't take much to start a fire, some of that building is 800 years old
Wow what a terrible mistake if that's what happened .:shakehead Seeing castles and buildings that are thousands of years old when we were in Ireland was unreal especially when you come front a country that is less than 200 years old :amazed:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Glad my business trip begins on Tuesday because of the holidays. Would've been this evening, which meant I would've been missing the game tomorrow.

Downside is I could be missing game seven if necessary or potential home games 1-2 or 3-4. I guess that means I hope I miss game six because that could mean we make it next round.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I urge everyone to support BerMax Caffe on at 1800 Corydon. The cafe has been the victim of five antisemitic incidents since opening, and was nearly destroyed Thursday night, when perpetrators broke into the cafe after closing, assaulting a Woman who had to be taken to hospital, and vandalized with swastikas spray painted on the walls, and damaged coolers, tables, and most of the plates.

This is one of the worst hate crimes in Winnipeg history, and we must come together as a community, in order to stop this activity before it gets worse.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I urge everyone to support BerMax Caffe on at 1800 Corydon. The cafe has been the victim of five antisemitic incidents since opening, and was nearly destroyed Thursday night, when perpetrators broke into the cafe after closing, assaulting a Woman who had to be taken to hospital, and vandalized with swastikas spray painted on the walls, and damaged coolers, tables, and most of the plates.

This is one of the worst hate crimes in Winnipeg history, and we must come together as a community, in order to stop this activity before it gets worse.

That’s awful. And it’s Passover season too. It’s so hard to hear of such attacks happening in our own backyard, be they anti-semitic or anti-Muslim as in Christchurch, or targeting any other group. Our leaders will call out the attackers, saying “this is not us”, and while that’s true, events like this are such a sobering reminder to ask ourselves if we really love our neighbour, and to really scrutinise to whom and how we show it.

I met some of the most lovely, warm and welcoming people in Canada. I hope the poor victims of the attack feel it too.

Enjoy your long weekend everyone.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

You see all the news stories and always think that stuff won't happen so close to home. f***ing deplorables coming out of the woodwork here now too emboldened by what they see in USA, UK, and around the world.

Reactions: mazmin

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
For what it's worth I've been keeping in eye on BerMax since I drive by it 4 times per day going to and from work. There was a police car parked outside at 5:30am yesterday so it looks like they're getting some support from Winnipegs finest. I don't often buy food/drink on the go but will support BerMax whenever I do. It is a great shop and the people within are incredibly kind. I think the best thing to do in times like these is show love and support.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
*UPDATE*

From the Winnipeg based Jewish Post & News:

"While the police have characterized this most recent incident as a "hate crime", the possibility exists, however, that something else is behind the spate of vandalism at BerMax. We are not going to disclose the information that would lead us to suggest something else may be afoot, but we would like to remind readers that in 2017, Jewish community centres throughout the United States were put on high alert by threats arriving over the internet. It turned out that the threats were all coming from a teenaged American boy living in Israel."

source: Many puzzling aspects to what happened at BerMax Caffé that suggest it might not have been a hate crime

I read the article, and came to the conclusion that reading between the lines, the article suggests this may be an inside job.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
*UPDATE*

"While the police have characterized this most recent incident as a "hate crime", the possibility exists, however, that something else is behind the spate of vandalism at BerMax. We are not going to disclose the information that would lead us to suggest something else may be afoot, but we would like to remind readers that in 2017, Jewish community centres throughout the United States were put on high alert by threats arriving over the internet. It turned out that the threats were all coming from a teenaged American boy living in Israel."

source: Many puzzling aspects to what happened at BerMax Caffé that suggest it might not have been a hate crime

I read the article, and came to the conclusion that reading between the lines, the article suggests this may be an inside job.

Where there's a crime, with an excessive amount of anything -- a lot of times it's a red herring to throw the Copps off --or try to. It could be a former employee that was fired etc. It could be punks breaking in for cash, and trying to throw the Copps off the trail. Could be the owners, for whatever reason ??

It just seems odd to me that there were not excessive break ins to any other place in the area, or other buildings were not targeted. I would not be surprised if this turns out to "not" be a"hate related" -Antisemitic crime.

This seems a little to much that the perpertrators would take the time to spray paint swastikas etc. Seems a little "too much." If your robbing a place, you want to get in and out fast.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Where there's a crime, with an excessive amount of anything -- a lot of times it's a red herring to throw the Copps off --or try to. It could be a former employee that was fired etc. It could be punks breaking in for cash, and trying to throw the Copps off the trail. Could be the owners, for whatever reason ??

It just seems odd to me that there were not excessive break ins to any other place in the area, or other buildings were not targeted. I would not be surprised if this turns out to "not" be a"hate related" -Antisemitic crime.

This seems a little to much that the perpertrators would take the time to spray paint swastikas etc. Seems a little "too much." If your robbing a place, you want to get in and out fast.
I really thought about it on the weekend, considering I used to walk my dog in the area years ago. It's a very busy location, being a block or two off Kenaston. Why would they not install surveillance videos? So many unanswered questions....

Reactions: GNP

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
*UPDATE*

I thought that someone was physically hurt in the latest incident

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Anzac Day here in NZ and Australia today. Used as our war Memorial Day, it marks 104 years since NZ (and Australia’s?) the failed Gallipoli campaign which put into motion white New Zealand’s national identity and relative independence from Britain. Interestingly, there were also pre-Canadian Newfoundland troops that stormed the beach.

It’s eclipsed 11/11 in our country’s consciousness to the point where I didn’t know 11/11 was an important day until I properly studied history in high school.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
BerMax owners arrested for staging the attack and anti-semitic graffiti in the restaurant. Some of you smelled something fishy going on here, as did that the Jewish Post & News website

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/bermax-winnipeg-antisemitic-arrest-1.5109224

Perhaps they need to add... Have you ever staged a hate crime? :shakehead

upload_2019-4-24_14-14-23.png

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Good thing this got cleared up quickly. Pretty sure MacLean's was planning a follow-up to their most racist city article. :sarcasm:

Hope they go under now. Crying wolf only makes people ignore legitimate threats.

Really wonder why people in general don't get this, regardless of the specifics.

General public reaction to anti-semitic attacks: that's horrible, awful, terrible. Punish those responsible.

General public reaction to anti-semitic attacks following faked attack: Really? I wonder if this one was faked too.

Doesn't have to be anti-semitic, pick anything that is a real issue (general racism, sexual assualt, etc.) and you fake something and it numbs and distracts, all while creating doubt about sincerity. How is that smart?

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Doesn't have to be anti-semitic, pick anything that is a real issue (general racism, sexual assualt, etc.) and you fake something and it numbs and distracts, all while creating doubt about sincerity. How is that smart?

People that pull this shit don't expect to get caught. So yeah, back to the not smart thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->