OT: Jets Lounge: Calling football "soccer" is bad form, even if it's Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
40 years ago, today ...

I was just a kid, but I remember it vividly ...

I was in Grade 2 at Athlone School when this event occurred.

I've been fascinated by total solar eclipses ever since.

In August 2017 I traveled to Nebraska to catch the most recent eclipse.

Future eclipses — Total solar eclipse of Aug 21, 2017

The next two eclipses in North America will pass over Hamilton, ON on April 8, 2024 and over Calgary, AB on August 23, 2044.

21stCenturyNorthAmericanEclipses

SolarEclipsesFrom2011to2060_Aluminize_11x17.png

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I remember the solar eclipse very well. Wore the flimsy glasses and went outside during the school day and observed with my class. Old SJF school and more recently the falsely rumoured site of Paul Stastny's home build. Found some really neat stuff at my Grandmother's place when she passed away. She recorded a journal of what was happening, re temperatures falling and people calling into CJOB saying what they were witnessing like chickens roosting in trees on farms. Also have a really nice time lapse 8x10 colour photo taken over the Leg that she had saved.

Surprised to hear some schools kept the kids inside.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
From my minimal exposure to this program 8 is excellent. Do you know the sample size as in ratio of students who participated? Did they measure all the teachers separately or is it a blended score and if so how many teachers were lumped together? Lastly (he says trying no to push his luck) why did you hate the NPS when you were working at the customer facing position in your retail job?

Yeah I think we’re just below 8. And considering 7s are considered average, it’s pretty amazing. Ours is a blended score, based on how likely students are to recommend our school to another person. We don’t track individual teachers but use it to gauge where we are as a group. There are maybe 20 of us regulars, but staff numbers do vary with student numbers. It motivates us pretty well and management uses accompanying student comments to inform PD sessions.

I hated it in retail because our district managers used poor scores to beat on us rather than actually offer any constructive criticism and practical advice. They had this great tool but couldn’t fully leverage it. And it was on top of an already pretty comprehensive KPI system. We were just measured on a ton of metrics but then that data wasn’t properly utilised.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yeah I think we’re just below 8. And considering 7s are considered average, it’s pretty amazing. Ours is a blended score, based on how likely students are to recommend our school to another person. We don’t track individual teachers but use it to gauge where we are as a group. There are maybe 20 of us regulars, but staff numbers do vary with student numbers. It motivates us pretty well and management uses accompanying student comments to inform PD sessions.

I hated it in retail because our district managers used poor scores to beat on us rather than actually offer any constructive criticism and practical advice. They had this great tool but couldn’t fully leverage it. And it was on top of an already pretty comprehensive KPI system. We were just measured on a ton of metrics but then that data wasn’t properly utilised.

Great answer.......your first paragraph describes what sounds like the right application to measure and prescribe PD sessions so yea!! Your last paragraph is a nightmare for me to read as a business owner. Great tools and KPI’s but shitty punishment based follow through or gamification of the measurement process to circumvent the desired outcome which is.....ya know......to quit sucking as a boss. The weakest link leaders destroy street cred so fast which I have learned the hard way far too often. Shockingly tough thing to get that leadership hire right over and over.

That’s why our lofty and aspirational promise to our people is “we suck less” :cool:

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Yeah, gamification of stuff like that is such a weird and not always appropriate thing.

The KPIs were ok and once you got over the manager, we great for measuring yourself as an individual. You could easily identify what you weren’t offering customers for example, and adjust.

NPS seems a lot better as a general checkup for a whole group. Is the school in general leaving a good impression on its students?
We only switched to it last year from a 1-5 scale questionnaire, because even though it was targeting the right things, the results had been stable for over a decade and weren’t reeeeally showing us where to improve. Slimming down to a single scale of 1-10 and two comments fields has been far more useful, we’re no longer putting words in their mouths.

Great answer.......your first paragraph describes what sounds like the right application to measure and prescribe PD sessions so yea!! Your last paragraph is a nightmare for me to read as a business owner. Great tools and KPI’s but ****ty punishment based follow through or gamification of the measurement process to circumvent the desired outcome which is.....ya know......to quit sucking as a boss. The weakest link leaders destroy street cred so fast which I have learned the hard way far too often. Shockingly tough thing to get that leadership hire right over and over.

That’s why our lofty and aspirational promise to our people is “we suck less” :cool:

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Mark this day down. I use the SN app and it only took wheeler getting four goals for the Jets to be mentioned in the news feed. Every other Canadian team is talked about every day except for the Jets

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
RIP Luke Perry :(

I feel really old with this news. A very good friend of mine died at a similar age to Luke a few years back and early 50’s is way WAY too young to check out.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I love steam sales.

Got the gold pack of civ 6 for $47. Includes everything but the new expansion

I used to buy stuff on Steam sales, but found I was lucky even if I played 10% of them. I just bought them because they were cheap (HL:Ep2, Batman Arkham City, stuff I don't even remember, dirt cheap side scrollers, etc). I stopped PC gaming a while ago so now they sit there unplayed probably forever. Yet every time I get a new PC or new OS install, there I am opening Steam downloading them all. :laugh:

Last edited:

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I used to buy stuff on Steam sales, but found I was lucky even I even played 10% of them. I just bought them because they were cheap (HL:Ep2, Batman Arkham City, stuff I don't even remember, dirt cheap side scrollers, etc). I stopped PC gaming a while ago so now they sit there unplayed probably forever. Yet every time I get a new PC or new OS install, there I am opening Steam downloading them all. :laugh:

I have 2 games well now three I will be playing on a regular basis. Sims 4, Civ V and Civ VI.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I have 2 games well now three I will be playing on a regular basis. Sims 4, Civ V and Civ VI.

I remember buying the original "The Sims" day one in 99/00 or whenever it came out. Played it a couple times and lent it to a friend. Never got it back. :mad:

He was huge into the Civ games but not me. I enjoyed watching him play them more than actually playing them myself.

Reactions: snowkiddin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad