Post-Game Talk: Jets lose to Preds 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
As long as Laine and Ehlers play 3rd or 4th line minutes, nobody should expect a top 6 performance from them.
5v5PosnTime
Nikolaj EhlersL13:34
Mark ScheifeleC13:27
Blake WheelerR13:06
Bryan LittleC12:28
Patrik LaineR12:12
Kyle ConnorL11:52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last night was a shit-show of ill-advised penalties, breakdowns, and brainfarts (I'm looking at you, Chiarot): I don't expect much more than the result that was obtained. Shame too: the game was fun/exciting prior to the march to the box.

Onwards and upwards - looking forward to the next game.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
5v5PosnTime
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last night was a ****-show of ill-advised penalties, breakdowns, and brainfarts (I'm looking at you, Chiarot): I don't expect much more than the result that was obtained. Shame too: the game was fun/exciting prior to the march to the box.

That seems wrong, as Ehlers has only played 1 game total above 13:34...
And his ATOI is at 12:30

And PP, is toi aswell, and important at that.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
This is the post game thread. Those are the TOI numbers from naturalstattrick for last night's game.
Well, since we were talking about ATOI, that was what I thought you were commenting on.

Doesn't matter tho, imo Ehlers needs more TOI, and more PP. and so does Laine.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Well, since we were talking about ATOI, that was what I thought you were commenting on.

It's the PGT - I'm discussing last night's game. There are many more appropriate threads to discuss that topic, given the penalty box march the Jets decided to partake in last night that affected TOI of all lines.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/how-to-fix-the-jets-2nd-line-problems.2554359/
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-19-starting-roster-ii.2547903/

Etc.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Laine needs to squat more and skate less in the summer lol. We need the heavy , fat and happy Laine back.
And no more badminton! Also he should be playing 3rd line minutes on fortnight and first line minutes in the NHL. I missed the game last night and only watched the highlights, and it seems I picked a good game to miss. Maybe a couple more losses will bring out the blender and make Mo finally shake things up. One positive from this game would be CLT – that line has been awesome and should never be tinkered with. All other lines could use a shake-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinson2187

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
You're not going to convince me the penalties in that game should have been 9-2......that should pretty much never happen in the NHL. Pathetic.

So I guess we're not going 81-1 then?
You are 100% incorrect. Even penalties is a fallacy. This isn't wrestling. Do you have as many y speeding tickets as your best friend? Shouldn't that even out?

Instead, question the quality of calls. How the Pred didn't get knew for hitting Ehlers from behind and after the whistle is a joke. I didnt even see what Trouba did to deserve a call. And Buff was slewfooted on the PK and it lead to a great scoring chance, but no call. So that is what I find unbelievable.

But hockey fans look so damn silly when they say calls should even up. That would be the ultimate example of awful reffing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
5v5PosnTime
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last night was a ****-show of ill-advised penalties, breakdowns, and brainfarts (I'm looking at you, Chiarot): I don't expect much more than the result that was obtained. Shame too: the game was fun/exciting prior to the march to the box.

Best response yet

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Jets started strong but then the parade to the box in the second killed all of the flow in the game for the Jets and they couldn't get it back in the third. Our top players were out killing penalties and I think it sapped a lot of their energy for the third, they looked a bit fatigued. Our young offensive players didn't see the ice and as such were out of sorts.

The refs were definitely one sided but we shot ourselves in the foot with a lot of stupid penalties all the same. Many of them by players who should know better.

Helle played well

JoMo was very good again, Trouba was undisciplined and turned the puck over a couple of times in bad spots.

Buff and Chariot were awful, just dumb decision making on some of those passes that lead to odd man rushes against.

Morrow and Myers were ok

SCW the line had some chances but couldn't convert, they played relatively well through two but didn't have Much in the tank in the third. Scheifele and Wheeler need to manage their shift better as the second goal could have been prevented if they could have gotten back.

LCT the line played fine and did it a thing again.

LEL: I thought these guys had some flashes. Ehlers was skating much better as was Laine. They still aren't fully In sync but we're better than last game.

PRV: Roslovic had another solid outing as did Perrault. Ves really not looking like belongs though

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Hard not to put some on the refs... but any team that spends an entire period killing penalties is going to have no flow and is going to get frustrated. I was hoping that Maurice was going to be able to convince these guys that after the debacle that was the 2nd, we still had a chance to win this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Topic title makes no sense, seeing as the Preds didn't score a single PPG - all of their offense was ES. 3 defensive miscues lead to those goals against. The Preds played the better game. f***, do I hate the Jets playing against them. They're a good team, and their fans were too happy last night. I don't like it.

Reactions: snake schneibler

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hard not to put some on the refs... but any team that spends an entire period killing penalties is going to have no flow and is going to get frustrated. I was hoping that Maurice was going to be able to convince these guys that after the debacle that was the 2nd, we still had a chance to win this game.
I think by then we were so out of rhythm and the PK guys gassed that we couldn't get back into the game. Too bad for the gong show of a 2nd period as the 1st period was a joy to watch.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It's pretty bad when the PGT blames the loss on the refs when we didnt score any goals.

News Flash - you won't win if you score zero goals
You won’t score many being short handed 1/3 of the game
Refs could have called plenty the other way
Not getting the Preds for the late hit on Ehlers is inexcusable and the game got out of hand after that.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It isn't that the penalties were imaginary, but they were calling everything they possibly could on the Jets. Are you telling me that the Preds didn't do any little thing wrong until the 20 min mark of the 2nd?

The first penalty was a little borderline,but OK. The second was accidental (read careless), but perfectly correct. After that, silly season started. Jets definitely lost their cool - eventually, and made it worse.

It was still 1-0 after all of that.

And I said wrong to put ALL of the blame. They certainly deserve some.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

folix

Jul 24, 2011
It's pretty bad when the PGT blames the loss on the refs when we didnt score any goals.

News Flash - you won't win if you score zero goals

News Flash, you dont score very many short handed goals. We had what 36min of that? You want them shooting on the net from their own end?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Just how bad does the officating have to be for TSN to say that the reffing was one sided. Lol "First off I would like to clarifiy im not critizing the calls but there were certainly some that could have went the other way." LMAO go NHL Media Gag order go! :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Reactions: Jets 31

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
You won’t score many being short handed 1/3 of the game
Refs could have called plenty the other way
Not getting the Preds for the late hit on Ehlers is inexcusable and the game got out of hand after that.

News Flash, you dont score very many short handed goals. We had what 36min of that? You want them shooting on the net from their own end?

The refs were horrible. The Jets were undisciplined. Bad combination.

But if you are saying that playing short handed for almost 1/3 of the game means you should just expect to get zero goals for the other 2/3 of the game even if you get a couple of powerplays, I would simply disagree with you.

The reffing was horrible. But it was a one goal game starting the third period. We were outplayed and outscored in the third period as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You don't win if you don't score, but the Jets gift-wrapped the Preds two goals from poor decisions at the point. Chiarot's blind pass across the blue line was awful. Buff's attempt to pass through 4 Preds from the left point that led to an odd-man break wasn't much better. If either of those D had just made the smart play down the boards the game would likely have stayed 0-0 late into the 3rd. In a close game like that, you can't afford to make bad mental errors.

Still, I liked the Jets' pace and intensity, and the PK was outstanding. If they play most games like that they are going to win a lot this season.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
5v5PosnTime
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

My take on that data?

If KC and Wheeler get that same amount of 5on5 ice time. As Laine, They didnt score as well.

So its really hard to produce 1st line numbers in the NHL with sub par minutes.

But that will change 100% for KC and Wheeler when Jets dont get that much penalty minutes.

Man i really hope they balance the lines more that works offensively.
Jets wont go far with 1 line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad