Post-Game Talk: Jets lose to Preds 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Hellebuyck good!
Swear there were magnets in the ice and puck down there last night lol - how many Jets shots didn't get air? Rinne was pretty solid in terms of not panicking / giving up rebounds but so many shots just stayed low along the ice.
Not sure if Preds 0-8 pp after 40 (at times almost back-to-back with moments of 5 on 3) was just rust OR something the Jets were doing - in any case wow :amazed:

Reactions: GNP

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Jethro Chariot

:laugh: Worthy of bold and red.

Fantastic hockey in the first period.
Atrocious reffing in the second.
Third period the guys were so frustrated you could see the shutout coming from a mile away.
At least PoMo showed some confidence in Roslovic when down 3-0 late in the third. :laugh:

I agree, although that last bit could have been desperation (brought on by the consequences of his own decisions).

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
5v5PosnTime
Nikolaj EhlersL13:34
Mark ScheifeleC13:27
Blake WheelerR13:06
Bryan LittleC12:28
Patrik LaineR12:12
Kyle ConnorL11:52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last night was a ****-show of ill-advised penalties, breakdowns, and brainfarts (I'm looking at you, Chiarot): I don't expect much more than the result that was obtained. Shame too: the game was fun/exciting prior to the march to the box.

Onwards and upwards - looking forward to the next game.
Do you place any blame on the officiating?

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Should we expect to win ? playing short handed -1 of 3 periods :dunno:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Let's just forget about that game shall we? Played well 5 on 5 for the first two periods when we weren't taking penalties. Got frustrated in the 3rd and couldn't get the offence going. No puck luck and Rinne played well. Score one in the third and this would have been a completely different game. PK was also rock solid.

Please scratch Chairot for the next game.

One pass gets intercepted and you are going to hang goat horns on Chiarot?

Reactions: Jet

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
It didn't help, but then again, we didn't help ourselves either.
Fair enough. I'm having a hard time getting a read out of that game. In the gdt, it sounded like we were getting hooped by the refs. But after reading more this morning, many feel the team deserved most of them. I'm going to chalk it up to a confluence of two historical facts: poor Jets discipline and bush league officiating.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets momentum was ****ed after all those penalties and one sided officiating.

The refs are 75% to blame.

**** those refs for ruining this game.

It had all the appearance of being a great game until the refs decided they wanted to be the stars. The Jets killed off 6 minutes of penalty in the last 7.5 of the first period and still had a slight edge in shots. The Jets had all the momentum in the 2nd. The Hartman goal hurt a bit. I thought Jets shook it off well enough. Then the nuttiness began.

The Jets did lose it and they shouldn't have. But I can't criticize them for that. You can't punch a ref so ..... you have to take out the frustration somewhere.

But beyond that **** - the Jets need to start putting some pucks in the net.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I thought the 1st period was a great period of hockey to watch.

Overall, we had plenty of chances to score and didn't bury one. It's not a trend yet, but hopefully the pucks will start going in. I'm less worried as they are still getting good chances.

On the PK, what I really liked is the Jets made change to pressure the puck carrier upon zone entry. In other games I've seen the PK passive right down to the goal, but at least last night there was an effort to pressure the puck at our blue line and it looked like we created turnovers and were able to ice the puck. I'd love to keep that aspect going, and then also allow our players to play with slightly more puck pressure once they get into their box.

The thing that frustrates me the most about the game isn't the reffing (enough said about that topic). It's goal number 2. We are in a 1 goal game, and have killed a tonne of PK time. We've also had chances to that point and are in no way out of the game. Why they hell do 2 forwards take a lazy line change on a Preds rush? It's 5 on 3 and it's keystone cops out there. The other 2 players joining aren't even in the screen by the time the Preds score. IMO, lost in the reffing talk is discussion as to why 2 players felt the need to let the Jets play a 5 on 3.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One pass gets intercepted and you are going to hang goat horns on Chiarot?
Chiarot should always be on the edge of the line-up (preferably out of it, from my perspective). So, if he adds a terrible turnover in a tight game to his general lack of effectiveness, then you have to consider taking him out of the line-up.

Reactions: Jets 31

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Wheeler has been very undisciplined to start the season. As the captain he needs to get his focus back in check or else it'll be a long season.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Scheif , Laine and Connor 1st line and Little , Wheeler , Ehlers the second . If Little can't get going playing with Wheeler and Ehlers then move Roslovic up to center Wheeler and Ehlers . Oh and call up Niku and sit Charoit . Give it a try Maurice .

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chiarot should always be on the edge of the line-up (preferably out of it, from my perspective). So, if he adds a terrible turnover in a tight game to his general lack of effectiveness, then you have to consider taking him out of the line-up.

Yes - but he played well last night except for that one pass.

Ignoring the fact that we aren't putting the puck in the net and ignoring the last half of the game which was - well it was so messed up I can't take anything from it - there were some good things last night.

Myers was better, or less bad. KVes was a little better. Started to assert himself a little more. Morrow looked pretty good to me. So did Chiarot. So did Little. I saw him doing a lot of things right and there even appeared to be a little of what I would call chemistry on that line.

And then the wheels fell off and I don't think any observations from that point on should be given much weight. Jets PK looked good but Preds PP looked weak so ???? Refs were crazy. Jets lost their composure. Etc.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
A possible great game was ruined. Chiarot was awful. He could not deal with the pace. Was directly responsible for both goals. The last one he was some how caught up play and got lost coming back did not pick up the guy on his side and yup.

The first goal, well even in beer league you shake your head at that play.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Overall, we had plenty of chances to score and didn't bury one. It's not a trend yet, but hopefully the pucks will start going in. I'm less worried as they are still getting good chances.

On the PK, what I really liked is the Jets made change to pressure the puck carrier upon zone entry. In other games I've seen the PK passive right down to the goal, but at least last night there was an effort to pressure the puck at our blue line and it looked like we created turnovers and were able to ice the puck. I'd love to keep that aspect going, and then also allow our players to play with slightly more puck pressure once they get into their box.

The thing that frustrates me the most about the game isn't the reffing (enough said about that topic). It's goal number 2. We are in a 1 goal game, and have killed a tonne of PK time. We've also had chances to that point and are in no way out of the game. Why they hell do 2 forwards take a lazy line change on a Preds rush? It's 5 on 3 and it's keystone cops out there. The other 2 players joining aren't even in the screen by the time the Preds score. IMO, lost in the reffing talk is discussion as to why 2 players felt the need to let the Jets play a 5 on 3.

I had a coach that squeezed the lazy line change out of every player on the team. It was simple. If you didn't bust your ass with the energy you had left on your way to the bench for a line change, you were benched. Whether there was a scoring opportunity for the other team or not. It took a grand total of 1 benching for any individual on the team to learn.

Now at the NHL level, you wouldn't expect to do that. But that is another sign of this team lacking discipline and something that should be addressed. It didn't see it happen specifically last night, but I have seen it happen too often with the Jets.

Reactions: Board Bard

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

That change was pathetic. Wheeler just gave up and Schief just takes his time coming back. And people wonder why they are hesitant to put Laine with him. Those plays are why.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I hate games like this, not because the Jets lost. When the refs decide they are going to put on a show it just kills it. The first 15 minutes was exciting back and forth hockey and had the makings of a great game. But the refs decide "nah, let's turn this into sludge". Disgraceful to the league.

One positive, the penalty killing was pretty great.
Agree. First was the most exciting hockey you can ask for. Then refs put the blinders on & call everything possible against one team and nothing on the other. Totally pissed everyone on the team off & killed all momentum. In spite of that, expected us to come into the third and play with a chip on our shoulders, never happened.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Laine is getting too predictable just waiting for the one timers.
Teams and goalies already know that it is coming.

Time for him to be aggressive like Connor and be less predictable by changing his game up.
Go watch Ovie highlights from recent year. GO watch him sit on that f***ing dot and wait for his elite playmaking centers to dish the god damn puck into his stick. It works. And it's insane how well it works.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Penalties should be 9-2 every and each single time infractions are 9-2. It's sad that they usually aren't, even when they should be every now and then. It's common phenomenon that referees craps their pants and give easier penalties for teams that have less penalties in a game.

Most what I saw were clear as day.

High sticking by Laine? Yes, it's an accident, but you do get 2+2, if there is blood. And that it was the clown PK Subban doesn't, matter: ketchup is ketchup.

Idiotic penalty by Wheeler. What on earth did he think? Nuthin, I guess.

Ehlers with all his super high TOI is frustrated as anybody would, so I'm not surprised seeing him first pushing his opponent into goalposts and getting well deserved 2 minutes, but also then even fighting later in a game.

Buff did pretty much the same on own end. No question about the penalty.

Trouba was in trouble with his stick infractions.

Yes, it sucks to have those penalties, but discipline is discipline. When it fails miserably, that's what you get.

Besides, Preds scored exactly zero power play goals, but they did score 3 goals after Jets being too deep on o-zone.
Bull. Half those penalties were plays you see all the time and not being called. And you can't tell me the Preds were being angels either. Refs had a grudge or had blinders - take your choice

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I really, really like Little but he has done zero to help his line mates; he simply does not compliment them. Roslovic does - he showed how complementary he can be with a a pair of higher end guys when he was with Matthews and Tkachuck. As others have said, slot him with Laine and Ehlers. I'd like to see a Lemieux-Little-Perreault third line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad